We had a fabulous time in Paris and arrived in Florence earlier today amidst rains. We took the car from hertz and parked it in the open space available near our hotel near the airport. When we went to offload our luggage after dinner, we saw that there were damages in the front headlight and scratches below the head light. These were certainly not there when we took the car. We are shocked because we have barely driven 2 km and our car is damaged and it wasn't even because of our fault on some crazy countryside road as we were scared of before flying off. Anyway. We have CDW insurance as part of Italian car rental regulations and we booked through chase sapphire reserve card which has car rental insurance as well.
This is our first such situation and we don't know what to do now. We couldn't ascertain how this happened as there are no cameras on the road. The staff doesn't know anything either.
1. Who pays for this damage? We? Insurance company through hertz? Credit card? Full or partial reimbursement? Procedure? Claims?
2. Any documents we should get while we are in Italy that would be needed for insurance?
3. We are still near Florence airport and leave tomo morning. Should we go back to hertz at the airport and share this situation with them right away?
4. We don't want to waste our time with bureaucracy. But should we file a police report?
Anybody who has had similar situation or has expertise, please guide. Help needed. Bad way to start Italian trip after my talking up Italy for a while now in front of my husband and.... he is furious. First, the arrival was bad as we got drenched while getting out of the aircraft and waiting for / getting in and out of the shuttle bus that took us to the terminal, and even while waiting for the car rental shuttle even with umbrellas. Our gps was not catching the satellite. Our entire luggage arrived at the luggage belt dripping wet (and all our contents are wet!), then the shuttle for car rental arrived after 45 mins and not as per the frequency of 15 mins told by information counter. It kept pouring and we got further drenched and somehow got the car and got luggage in it. We thought we shall have a quick meal before everything shuts. And I don't expect much from any place at late night near airport location but our "frozen" pizza was microwaved in front of us and on top of that, my husband is feeling unwell after getting drenched in the rains. Sorry for the long rant. Please help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome Water Shortage
- 2 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 3 The DCC scam is spreading
- 4 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 5 Getting around London
- 6 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 7 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 8 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 9 Paris in August
- 10 Train travel to and from Paris
- 11 Christmas in Spain
- 12 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 13 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 14 Vigo Spain????
- 15 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 16 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 17 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 18 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 19 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 20 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 21 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 22 Andalucia Spain
- 23 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 24 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 25 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!