We will be in Italy in May of 2014 and are wanting to stay outside of the major towns. We'll do day trips in if close enough but we are hoping more for a trip that is less touristy and more involved in the local towns. But that being said, it's hard to find in guidebooks that discuss small towns that would be great to stay in. Most talk about the majors (Rome, Venice etc) but we have no idea what would be some great towns and villages. We have 4 children but are up for walking, hiking, visiting towns etc. We will be there for 4 weeks so are thinking 2 weeks somewhere more northern and 2 weeks a bit more southern. Any recommendations? We will be booking houses as our accommodations (using homeaway and vrbo unless someone has another option?). Thanks for your help!
Italy places to stay outside of the major cities
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 itinerary help
- 2 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 3 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 4 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 5 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 6 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 7 Toulouse and beyond -
- 8 Hotwire zones in Barcelona & London
- 9 Scotland
- 10 Estonia Amber
- 11 7 days in Greece
- 12 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 13 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 14 7-8 days in Greece HELP!
- 15 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?
- 16 Reims for a day
- 17 Questions - Planning a Family Trip to Greece this summer
- 18 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 19 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 20 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 21 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 22 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 23 Where to stay family of 5 in Rome? Hotel or rental suggestions please!!
- 24 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 25 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014