We will be in Italy in May of 2014 and are wanting to stay outside of the major towns. We'll do day trips in if close enough but we are hoping more for a trip that is less touristy and more involved in the local towns. But that being said, it's hard to find in guidebooks that discuss small towns that would be great to stay in. Most talk about the majors (Rome, Venice etc) but we have no idea what would be some great towns and villages. We have 4 children but are up for walking, hiking, visiting towns etc. We will be there for 4 weeks so are thinking 2 weeks somewhere more northern and 2 weeks a bit more southern. Any recommendations? We will be booking houses as our accommodations (using homeaway and vrbo unless someone has another option?). Thanks for your help!
Italy places to stay outside of the major cities
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A Week in Spain
- 2 Recharging an Old Lebara SIM?
- 3 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 4 Now for the Venice hotel
- 5 Food safety in Istanbul.
- 6 Initial itinerary – Northern Spain and Catalunya
- 7 week in scotland
- 8 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 9 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 10 Innsbruck and surroundings
- 11 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 12 Where to stay near Loire castles?
- 13 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 14 Rocamaxour
- 15 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 16 Travelling by train across Central and Eastern Europe
- 17 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 18 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 19 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 20 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 21 5 PM Opera at La Scala on a Sunday night
- 22 venice, italy
- 23 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 24 Itinerary help
- 25 Where to go in France mid July?