We will be in Italy in May of 2014 and are wanting to stay outside of the major towns. We'll do day trips in if close enough but we are hoping more for a trip that is less touristy and more involved in the local towns. But that being said, it's hard to find in guidebooks that discuss small towns that would be great to stay in. Most talk about the majors (Rome, Venice etc) but we have no idea what would be some great towns and villages. We have 4 children but are up for walking, hiking, visiting towns etc. We will be there for 4 weeks so are thinking 2 weeks somewhere more northern and 2 weeks a bit more southern. Any recommendations? We will be booking houses as our accommodations (using homeaway and vrbo unless someone has another option?). Thanks for your help!
Italy places to stay outside of the major cities
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Chambermaid tipping
- 2 London for Christmas
- 3 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 4 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 5 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 6 River cruises
- 7 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 8 Stockholm Hotel Advice Help I'm torn Hotel Rival, Reisen or Story?????
- 9 7 days in Andalucia
- 10 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 11 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 12 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 13 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 14 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 15 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 16 Week in Interlaken at end of February
- 17 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 18 Switzerland up close...360 views
- 19 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 20 Euro Train
- 21 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 22 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 23 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 24 Belgium
- 25 Navigo Decouverte