We will be in Italy in May of 2014 and are wanting to stay outside of the major towns. We'll do day trips in if close enough but we are hoping more for a trip that is less touristy and more involved in the local towns. But that being said, it's hard to find in guidebooks that discuss small towns that would be great to stay in. Most talk about the majors (Rome, Venice etc) but we have no idea what would be some great towns and villages. We have 4 children but are up for walking, hiking, visiting towns etc. We will be there for 4 weeks so are thinking 2 weeks somewhere more northern and 2 weeks a bit more southern. Any recommendations? We will be booking houses as our accommodations (using homeaway and vrbo unless someone has another option?). Thanks for your help!
Italy places to stay outside of the major cities
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 2 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 3 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 4 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 5 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 6 Greece Italy and Turkey
- 7 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 8 Spain/Costa de Sol Please identify picture
- 9 men's shoes spain
- 10 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 11 Upcoming Spain itinerary-eyeballs please!
- 12 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 13 Edinburgh GTG, April?
- 14 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 15 21 Days in Central Europe
- 16 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 17 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 18 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 19 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 20 Your thoughts on location of apt in Cimiez area of Nice, France,
- 21 Three days in Spain
- 22 Water taxi reservations in Venice
- 23 Trouble purchasing tickets to Sagrada Familia online
- 24 Munich and Dachau
- 25 Nine Van Gogh paintings in Arles until august 31, 2014 !