I'm working on the itinerary for our October 2015 honeymoon and need some advice on the Tuscany portion of the trip. Here is our itinerary as it stands:
Our trip is October 5 - 24, 2015. We are starting our trip with 5 days in Paris (Oct 6 - 11). On the morning of October 12, we fly to Florence and are spending three nights at JK Place (we visited Florence together four years ago and saw a lot of the big sights, so this portion of the trip will be more relaxed than a typically 3-day first timer trip).
Once we check out of our Florence hotel on the 15th, we don't have anything set except a couple of nights in Rome at the end of the trip (we are flying open jaw Paris / Rome), arriving Rome on either on either the 21st or 22nd (haven't decided). That basically leaves us a week undetermined, which we would like to use to rent a car and explore Tuscany. One of the ideas we had was 4 nights in Lucca, 3 nights in Siena with day trips from each place. For day trips, our radius is about 90 minutes each way. Some of the ideas we have are (from Lucca) Cinque Terre, San Gimignano, Vinci, Viareggio, (from Siena) Volterra, Montepulciano. Here are my questions/concerns:
- Will it be difficult to have a car in these cities?
- Would we be better off only spending a couple nights in each place and add some overnight stays in the smaller hill towns moving South to Rome over the course of the week?
- Should we rent a car as we are leaving Florence, or should we train to Lucca, spend a day or two exploring Lucca, then rent a car for, say, 5 days?
- Should we drive all the way to Rome, returning the car there? Or drop it somewhere else and train into Rome?
- Would it be more relaxing to base up and then train to various other locations?
A few additional notes:
- We have never rented a car abroad, but have always wanted to so we could get off the main drags and really explore. That said, any tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome.
- We love food, wine, and getting a local feel from the places we travel
- With it being our honeymoon, we want a laid back pace to the trip.
Really appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance Fodor community!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beaune France
- 2 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 3 advance tickets?
- 4 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 5 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 6 38 Days in Paris
- 7 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 8 roadtrip from Barcelona to Madrid
- 9 A week in Paris
- 10 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 11 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 12 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 13 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 14 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 15 car rental in Dubrovnik
- 16 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 17 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 18 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 19 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 20 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 21 Cordoba Overnight?
- 22 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 23 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 24 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 25 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?