I'm working on the itinerary for our October 2015 honeymoon and need some advice on the Tuscany portion of the trip. Here is our itinerary as it stands:
Our trip is October 5 - 24, 2015. We are starting our trip with 5 days in Paris (Oct 6 - 11). On the morning of October 12, we fly to Florence and are spending three nights at JK Place (we visited Florence together four years ago and saw a lot of the big sights, so this portion of the trip will be more relaxed than a typically 3-day first timer trip).
Once we check out of our Florence hotel on the 15th, we don't have anything set except a couple of nights in Rome at the end of the trip (we are flying open jaw Paris / Rome), arriving Rome on either on either the 21st or 22nd (haven't decided). That basically leaves us a week undetermined, which we would like to use to rent a car and explore Tuscany. One of the ideas we had was 4 nights in Lucca, 3 nights in Siena with day trips from each place. For day trips, our radius is about 90 minutes each way. Some of the ideas we have are (from Lucca) Cinque Terre, San Gimignano, Vinci, Viareggio, (from Siena) Volterra, Montepulciano. Here are my questions/concerns:
- Will it be difficult to have a car in these cities?
- Would we be better off only spending a couple nights in each place and add some overnight stays in the smaller hill towns moving South to Rome over the course of the week?
- Should we rent a car as we are leaving Florence, or should we train to Lucca, spend a day or two exploring Lucca, then rent a car for, say, 5 days?
- Should we drive all the way to Rome, returning the car there? Or drop it somewhere else and train into Rome?
- Would it be more relaxing to base up and then train to various other locations?
A few additional notes:
- We have never rented a car abroad, but have always wanted to so we could get off the main drags and really explore. That said, any tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome.
- We love food, wine, and getting a local feel from the places we travel
- With it being our honeymoon, we want a laid back pace to the trip.
Really appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance Fodor community!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 2 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 3 Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion
- 4 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 5 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 6 Appenzell in December?
- 7 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 8 Traveling in Belgium
- 9 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 10 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 11 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 12 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 13 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 14 Booking.com trustworthy?
- 15 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 16 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 17 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 18 My nephew’s visit to Edinburgh (or, OMG to be 18 again.)
- 19 Euro road trip – looking for advice please
- 20 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 21 crete or santorini in Oct.
- 22 Hiking Tips in Scotland
- 23 Rick Steves Pickpocketed in Paris!
- 24 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 25 4 days in france w 4 kids