I'm working on the itinerary for our October 2015 honeymoon and need some advice on the Tuscany portion of the trip. Here is our itinerary as it stands:
Our trip is October 5 - 24, 2015. We are starting our trip with 5 days in Paris (Oct 6 - 11). On the morning of October 12, we fly to Florence and are spending three nights at JK Place (we visited Florence together four years ago and saw a lot of the big sights, so this portion of the trip will be more relaxed than a typically 3-day first timer trip).
Once we check out of our Florence hotel on the 15th, we don't have anything set except a couple of nights in Rome at the end of the trip (we are flying open jaw Paris / Rome), arriving Rome on either on either the 21st or 22nd (haven't decided). That basically leaves us a week undetermined, which we would like to use to rent a car and explore Tuscany. One of the ideas we had was 4 nights in Lucca, 3 nights in Siena with day trips from each place. For day trips, our radius is about 90 minutes each way. Some of the ideas we have are (from Lucca) Cinque Terre, San Gimignano, Vinci, Viareggio, (from Siena) Volterra, Montepulciano. Here are my questions/concerns:
- Will it be difficult to have a car in these cities?
- Would we be better off only spending a couple nights in each place and add some overnight stays in the smaller hill towns moving South to Rome over the course of the week?
- Should we rent a car as we are leaving Florence, or should we train to Lucca, spend a day or two exploring Lucca, then rent a car for, say, 5 days?
- Should we drive all the way to Rome, returning the car there? Or drop it somewhere else and train into Rome?
- Would it be more relaxing to base up and then train to various other locations?
A few additional notes:
- We have never rented a car abroad, but have always wanted to so we could get off the main drags and really explore. That said, any tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome.
- We love food, wine, and getting a local feel from the places we travel
- With it being our honeymoon, we want a laid back pace to the trip.
Really appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance Fodor community!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 2 Suggest Itinerary for 2 Nights in Lake District - Grasmere
- 3 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 4 Krakow Day Trips - Renting a car vs. Taking a tour
- 5 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 6 Boat hire in Arcachon
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 9 Food in Positano
- 10 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 11 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 12 Edinburgh to Skye
- 13 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 14 4 days itinerary for France
- 15 Antibes or Villefranche-sur-Mer?
- 16 Emergencies in Ireland
- 17 Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread
- 18 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 19 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 20 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 21 3 weeks in Spain
- 22 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 23 Rent a car in England
- 24 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 25 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152