I will be traveling with four friends (all in our mid 20s to early 30s)to Italy this coming April. I have been to Italy twice before and have been tasked with creating our itinerary. We will be in Italy for 12 days (not including our two travel days).
Based on what i remember from before, this is the pretty detailed itinerary that i have come up with thus far.
I am hoping to receive some invaluable advice from fodor's italy experts.
constructive critism welcome!!!!
Day 1: Venice (Wed)
o Arrive at Marco Polo airport
o Bus to Piazzale Roma.
o Vaporetto/walk to hotel
o After settling in, go back to Pizzale Roma and take vaporetto #1 length of canal, listen to Rick Steves audio guide of Venice
o stop at St. Marco square and take in the sights
o head out for early dinner
o Sleep early; get use to time change
Day 2: Venice (Thurs)
Walk along North Side today
o Bascilica San Marco. EARLY
o Ascend Campanile Tower for best views of Venice
o Doge’s Palace and Secret Itinerary Tour (reservation)
o Santi Giovanni e Paolo
o Saint George Greek Church
o Dinner (ask hotel for recommendations)
Day 3: Venice (Fri)
Walk along South Side today
o Rialot Market very early
o San Giorgio di Magggiore
o Santa Maria della Salute
o Santa Maria del Frari
o Scuola San Rocco
o Walk & get “lost” today in the Dorsoduro section
o Pub Crawl for dinner
Day 4: Florence (Sat)
o Train from Venice to Florence
o Check into hotel
o Picnic lunch on stairs of San Lorenzo. PIck up food from Mercado Centrale
o Renaissance walk: Duomo (dome, museum), Bapistery, Orsan Michele, Santa Maria Novella, Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio
o Home to rest
o Ponte Vecchio at sunset
o Late Dinner Reservations: Golden View Open Bar
Day 5: Florence (Sun)
o Medici Chapels
o Reservation @ Uffizi
o Santa Croce church
o Piazzale Michaelangelo
o San Miniato church
****need more suggestions for afternoon/evening****
o dinner in florence (ask hotel for recommendations)
Day 6: Pisa/Lucca (mon)
o Day trip to Pisa and Lucca
o Pisa: Field of Miracles
o Lucca: Bike the ramparts. see some of the churches
o Back to Florence for dinner
Day 7: Chianti/San Gimignano (tues)
o Accademia for statue of david (reservations)
o Leave Florence. Rent a car in Florence (drop off in Rome)
o Travel south through Chianti with stops in Greve, Castellina
o Over to San Gimignano to sightsee and Vernaccia
****do we have enough time to see monteriggioni??****
o Final stop ... Siena
Day 8: Siena (wed)
o Spend the entire day sightseeing in Siena
****need possible suggestions for afternoon/ early evening****
o dinner at trattoria la torre
o evening drinks at the campo
Day 9: Montalcino/Pienza (thurs)
o Day trip to Montalcino and Pienza
o Pienza: sightsee and eat pecorino cheese! (and lunch)
o Montalcino: Brunello winery tour (Ciacci Piccolomini d' Aragona)
o Montalcino: Sightsee Montalcino
o If time allows possibly see another small town
o Back to Siena for dinner/evening
Day 10: Rome (fri)
o Drive from Siena to Rome. Drop off car.
o Walk around and get acquainted with Rome
o Walk from hotel to Spanish Stairs and this area
o Spend evening near Trevi Fountain
Day 11: Rome (sat)
o Vatican & Vatican Museum/Sistine chapel (reservations)
o St. Peter’s Square
o St. Peter’s Bascilica
Walk around Rome and see other churches including:
o Santa Maria in Trastevere
o Santa Maria Maggiore
Day 12: Rome (sun)
Caesar Shuffle (to sightsee Ancient Rome)
o Arch of Constantine
o Roman Forum
o Capitol Hill
please feel free to offer any advice. i am more than willing to change anything i have planned. the three friends i am traveling with have never been to europe, so i am hoping to give them a wonderful first experience!!!!
thanks in advance!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland highland/islands agenda-please help, last minute dream trip
- 2 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 3 Puglia Experiences
- 4 Amsterdam, Brussels, Where Else?
- 5 2 nights in Dublin - B&B ideas
- 6 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 7 Short (a couple of hours) scenic walks in the north of Wales?
- 8 Font de Gaume-- what are our chances?
- 9 Fontainebleau - train schedules on a Sunday
- 10 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 11 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 12 car rent in Italy - cost, excess, deposit
- 13 Top Chef Abruzzo! - A Week in an Italian Cooking School (+ Rome)
- 14 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 15 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 16 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 17 Relaxing destinations?
- 18 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 19 Valencia, Spain - A Study Abroad Experience
- 20 Help with a git in Alsace
- 21 Me, myself and Dordogne – 2 weeks in the Beautiful French Countryside
- 22 Just beginning to plan trip to Croatia
- 23 5 full days in Rome too much?
- 24 1 night in Split or Trogir
- 25 Rome and Venice in December
Italy itinerary advice - april 2013 (venice, florence, siena, rome)