My husband and I just came up with the idea of doing a European vacation while I am on maternity leave. We were thinking of doing something in the range of 10-14 days (he has limited vacation days at work). I am still just a few days into researching this -- and thinking that Italy, Spain, Southern France or Greece would be best based on trying to get some decent weather while we're there. So far we're leaning towards Italy just because it's what I can find the most about online. We've both travelled a bit in Europe, but not to Italy, Spain or Greece.
We usually like to split our time between cities/sightseeing and seeing some countryside when we travel... so we don't want to spread our time too thin over multiple stops but we also don't want to spend a whole week in any one city just because there is a lot to see there. I've accepted that we never see it all in any city we visit.
Just looking for anyone's thoughts on itineraries (maybe there are some online that I am just not finding), best destinations, etc. We will be doing this on a tight budget so that may also limit the number of different stops we make, I'd like to avoid car rental or limit it to only part of the vacation.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 2 4 days in switzerland
- 3 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 4 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 5 European Cooking Secrets
- 6 Basque country ideas
- 7 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 8 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 9 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 10 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 11 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 12 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 13 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 14 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 15 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 16 Amalfi Coast to Barcelona
- 17 First trip to Italy
- 18 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 19 Travel vs. Babies
- 20 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 21 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 22 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 23 Eastern Provence, French Alps, Nice
- 24 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 25 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?