My finance and I are going to Italy for four weeks beginning in the second week of May. We are flying into Milan and out of Paris (we are planning to spend 2-5 nights in Paris depending on our itinerary). Currently our plan is as follows:
Fly into Milan (arrive around noon) take the train to Como then Bus/Boat to Bellagio
-We are debating whether to spend a night in Milan, the Universal Expo is going on this summer, so hotel availability is limited/expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth it??
Bellagio (4 nights)
-We picked this location because we wanted a pretty, relaxing start to the trip with the opportunity for day trips around Lake Como
-Is 4 nights too long/too short??
-Is there another town (near Lake Garda or in Lombardy that is a better pick?)
Leave Bellagio by bus/train
(travel to Milan by train and then either straight to Florence or spend 1-3 nights in Emilo, Bologna or Parma-Fiance is excited about the food)
Florence (3 nights)
-Make reservations to see the Uffizi
-Any recommendations about less touristy places to stay (not adverse to walking long distances/taking public transit to historic district)
-Rent car after 3 days and drive to Chianti region
Chianti (4 nights)
-Drive to different wineries
-Day trip to Sienna
-Return Car to Florence and take train to Rome
Rome (3 nights)
-See the sites
-Train/Bus to Ravenna (?)
Amalfi Coast (5 nights)
-travel by train to Naples
-Fly out of Naples for Paris (we are planning on flying budget from Naples, and haven't booked the flight yet, so our dates are flexible)
Paris (5 nights)
-Are there any regions that we are missing that you feel are worth the trip??? We've considered Genoa, Cinque Terre or stopping along the coast in a less-tourist centric area to spend a few nights???
Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Juangfrau / mt
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 4 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 5 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 6 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 7 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 8 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 9 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 10 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 Revised itinerary for italy
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!