My finance and I are going to Italy for four weeks beginning in the second week of May. We are flying into Milan and out of Paris (we are planning to spend 2-5 nights in Paris depending on our itinerary). Currently our plan is as follows:
Fly into Milan (arrive around noon) take the train to Como then Bus/Boat to Bellagio
-We are debating whether to spend a night in Milan, the Universal Expo is going on this summer, so hotel availability is limited/expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth it??
Bellagio (4 nights)
-We picked this location because we wanted a pretty, relaxing start to the trip with the opportunity for day trips around Lake Como
-Is 4 nights too long/too short??
-Is there another town (near Lake Garda or in Lombardy that is a better pick?)
Leave Bellagio by bus/train
(travel to Milan by train and then either straight to Florence or spend 1-3 nights in Emilo, Bologna or Parma-Fiance is excited about the food)
Florence (3 nights)
-Make reservations to see the Uffizi
-Any recommendations about less touristy places to stay (not adverse to walking long distances/taking public transit to historic district)
-Rent car after 3 days and drive to Chianti region
Chianti (4 nights)
-Drive to different wineries
-Day trip to Sienna
-Return Car to Florence and take train to Rome
Rome (3 nights)
-See the sites
-Train/Bus to Ravenna (?)
Amalfi Coast (5 nights)
-travel by train to Naples
-Fly out of Naples for Paris (we are planning on flying budget from Naples, and haven't booked the flight yet, so our dates are flexible)
Paris (5 nights)
-Are there any regions that we are missing that you feel are worth the trip??? We've considered Genoa, Cinque Terre or stopping along the coast in a less-tourist centric area to spend a few nights???
Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 2 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 3 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 4 Cascais or Algarve?
- 5 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 6 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 7 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 8 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 9 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 10 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 11 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 12 Azores
- 13 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 14 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 15 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 16 Scotland in 7 Days
- 17 Short Trip in July
- 18 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 19 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 20 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 21 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 22 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 23 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 24 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 25 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report