Odd situation. My friend is American and visited her family in Italy last year. Her mother is American but has a permit to stay, and her brothers are Italian citizens (with a different father). Because they share a different father, she is not Italian.
She has wanted to apply for a permit to stay for quite some time. However her mother has been stealing money from her, and has delayed the whole process. She has now been in Italy, mostly penniless, for a year. The people she is asking to complete the forms are taking forever (her mother and step father) and her mother, after stealing over 4000 euros (meaning she cannot afford a ticket home) has kicked her out.
So here's the problem. She wants a permit to stay. She has been illegal for almost a year. She has no money to get back, and simple wants to get the permit to stay in the same country as her brothers. She does not want to be a tourist, she merely wants to be with her family.
What I am trying to find out for her is if she can still legally apply for the permit even though her 3 months have expired?
I'm concerned that because she is now illegal, the process cannot move forward. Her mother will probably fill in the forms / vouch her for her, but she will inevitably need her own place.
Can she still apply for the permit whilst illegal? Will she likely get it?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 2 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 3 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 4 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 5 Spain in December
- 6 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 7 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 8 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 9 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 10 K-Day
- 11 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 14 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 15 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 16 Cell Phone Question
- 17 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 18 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 19 Greek Islands (small)
- 20 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 21 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 22 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 23 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 24 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 25 Campervan in Croatia