My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon trip to Italy (our first time there), tentatively from Sep 21st through Oct 10th. I've been reading and browsing on and off on this (and other) forums, and have been digging into a few guidebooks on Italy.
First, some background: we have been together for a long time already (over 10 years), so this isn't exactly a newlywed/romance focus... we're really just looking to do some mix of exploring, photographing, and taking in and enjoying the local food & culture. We are OK with some long days (i.e. leaving early and coming back late).
I spent a lot of time today just trying to figure out what places/sites we really wanted to see (man, there's sooo much to see in Italia!!)... This is a very early draft, and I haven't gotten too far into sanity checks around travel time between locations, etc... I'm really looking for some friendly advice (in case I'm way off!), before I start really digging into the nitty-gritty details. I haven't booked anything yet (I know, I know, HURRY UP!!), so this is still pretty flexible.
THE PLAN SO FAR:
Fly from Chicago into Venice, arrive @ 8:35am
Home Base #1: Venice (4 nights):
Day 1 Check into hotel and settle in to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Train to Verona (Venezia S. Lucia to Verona Porta Nuova?)
Day 4 Explore outer islands (Torcello, Burano, Murano)
Home Base #2: Florence (5 nights):
Day 5 Check into hotel and settle in to Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Trip to Lucca in the morning, then Pisa in the afternoon, then back to Florence
Day 8 Early morning trip to Cinque Terre (all day)
Day 9 Tuscany day tour to see Chianti region, Siena, San Gimignano?
Home Base #3: Rome (4 nights):
Day 10 Check into hotel and settle in to Rome
Day 11 Rome
Day 12 Rome (Vatican City)
Day 13 Rome
Home Base #4: Sorrento (5 nights)
Day 14 Check into hotel and settle in to Sorrento
Day 15 Ferry from Positano to Amalfi, bus to Ravello?
Day 16 Train to Pompeii (Ercolano?), Mt. Vesuvius, Arch. Museum in Naples?
Day 17 Rent a car and head to Paestum? Or bus/train to Salerno, then on to Paestum?
Day 18 Day trip to Capri
Day 19 Head to Naples airport, depart at 1:25pm back to Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 2 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 3 Your thoughts on day trips out of Venice
- 4 Dublin to Dingle?
- 5 How to get to Mallorca
- 6 The Best hotel in Caen please !
- 7 Family Itinerary April 2016
- 8 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 9 Scottish pounds where to exchange?
- 10 Positano - Choosing a Hotel
- 11 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...
- 12 Where to Buy Affordable Scarves in Paris
- 13 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 14 Finalizing Itinerary
- 15 Suggestions for 6 days in Central Europe (Hungary/around there)
- 16 Road trip from St Remy to Nice
- 17 Magical Greece. A 13 day jaunt across the Aegean
- 18 A week in Verona. Please critique my daytrip list.
- 19 The Tweesters Travel with Tito: 2 weeks in Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia
- 20 Pompeii ~ book private in advance, or wait and use a guide @ Pompeii?
- 21 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 22 Switzerland 5 days
- 23 Need help in deciding itinerary to visit places around Lucerne
- 24 time between trains from Frankfurt to Berlin
- 25 Kathie & Cheryl plan our 2016 trip to Europe
Italy - Honeymoon (18 nights) - Rough draft itinerary - sanity check?