My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon trip to Italy (our first time there), tentatively from Sep 21st through Oct 10th. I've been reading and browsing on and off on this (and other) forums, and have been digging into a few guidebooks on Italy.
First, some background: we have been together for a long time already (over 10 years), so this isn't exactly a newlywed/romance focus... we're really just looking to do some mix of exploring, photographing, and taking in and enjoying the local food & culture. We are OK with some long days (i.e. leaving early and coming back late).
I spent a lot of time today just trying to figure out what places/sites we really wanted to see (man, there's sooo much to see in Italia!!)... This is a very early draft, and I haven't gotten too far into sanity checks around travel time between locations, etc... I'm really looking for some friendly advice (in case I'm way off!), before I start really digging into the nitty-gritty details. I haven't booked anything yet (I know, I know, HURRY UP!!), so this is still pretty flexible.
THE PLAN SO FAR:
Fly from Chicago into Venice, arrive @ 8:35am
Home Base #1: Venice (4 nights):
Day 1 Check into hotel and settle in to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Train to Verona (Venezia S. Lucia to Verona Porta Nuova?)
Day 4 Explore outer islands (Torcello, Burano, Murano)
Home Base #2: Florence (5 nights):
Day 5 Check into hotel and settle in to Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Trip to Lucca in the morning, then Pisa in the afternoon, then back to Florence
Day 8 Early morning trip to Cinque Terre (all day)
Day 9 Tuscany day tour to see Chianti region, Siena, San Gimignano?
Home Base #3: Rome (4 nights):
Day 10 Check into hotel and settle in to Rome
Day 11 Rome
Day 12 Rome (Vatican City)
Day 13 Rome
Home Base #4: Sorrento (5 nights)
Day 14 Check into hotel and settle in to Sorrento
Day 15 Ferry from Positano to Amalfi, bus to Ravello?
Day 16 Train to Pompeii (Ercolano?), Mt. Vesuvius, Arch. Museum in Naples?
Day 17 Rent a car and head to Paestum? Or bus/train to Salerno, then on to Paestum?
Day 18 Day trip to Capri
Day 19 Head to Naples airport, depart at 1:25pm back to Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Q/WeChat2727586870俄亥俄州立大学哥伦布分校文凭毕业证成绩单学历认证Ohio State University
- 2 ?Prague, Wroclaw, Krakow & Vienna???
- 3 Seine Dinner Cruise
- 4 Zagreb Airport to Ljubljana - Help!
- 5 Is this too much? 10 days in Italy
- 6 One way car drop fee
- 7 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 8 Travel Time from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord Station?
- 9 Cornwall and Germany
- 10 Spain in February or March
- 11 My summer in Paris
- 12 Need good fondue in Lucerne
- 13 Itinerary Barcelona & Southern France 9/23-10/14/15
- 14 Spanish Christmas season traditions
- 15 Great Hotels in Prague and Vienna?
- 16 Traveling options for Rome to Positano?
- 17 Please Help - Poland - Prague - Vienna
- 18 Rome - To Tour or Not to Tour
- 19 Train/Subway Questions
- 20 Portugal - 2 weeks itinerary critique
- 21 Bus or car from Dubrovnik to Split
- 22 too many London hotels!
- 23 four old ladies in spain
- 24 Hotels - Rome
- 25 8 days in southern Italy - best way to visit Pompeii and Naples
Italy - Honeymoon (18 nights) - Rough draft itinerary - sanity check?