My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon trip to Italy (our first time there), tentatively from Sep 21st through Oct 10th. I've been reading and browsing on and off on this (and other) forums, and have been digging into a few guidebooks on Italy.
First, some background: we have been together for a long time already (over 10 years), so this isn't exactly a newlywed/romance focus... we're really just looking to do some mix of exploring, photographing, and taking in and enjoying the local food & culture. We are OK with some long days (i.e. leaving early and coming back late).
I spent a lot of time today just trying to figure out what places/sites we really wanted to see (man, there's sooo much to see in Italia!!)... This is a very early draft, and I haven't gotten too far into sanity checks around travel time between locations, etc... I'm really looking for some friendly advice (in case I'm way off!), before I start really digging into the nitty-gritty details. I haven't booked anything yet (I know, I know, HURRY UP!!), so this is still pretty flexible.
THE PLAN SO FAR:
Fly from Chicago into Venice, arrive @ 8:35am
Home Base #1: Venice (4 nights):
Day 1 Check into hotel and settle in to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Train to Verona (Venezia S. Lucia to Verona Porta Nuova?)
Day 4 Explore outer islands (Torcello, Burano, Murano)
Home Base #2: Florence (5 nights):
Day 5 Check into hotel and settle in to Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Trip to Lucca in the morning, then Pisa in the afternoon, then back to Florence
Day 8 Early morning trip to Cinque Terre (all day)
Day 9 Tuscany day tour to see Chianti region, Siena, San Gimignano?
Home Base #3: Rome (4 nights):
Day 10 Check into hotel and settle in to Rome
Day 11 Rome
Day 12 Rome (Vatican City)
Day 13 Rome
Home Base #4: Sorrento (5 nights)
Day 14 Check into hotel and settle in to Sorrento
Day 15 Ferry from Positano to Amalfi, bus to Ravello?
Day 16 Train to Pompeii (Ercolano?), Mt. Vesuvius, Arch. Museum in Naples?
Day 17 Rent a car and head to Paestum? Or bus/train to Salerno, then on to Paestum?
Day 18 Day trip to Capri
Day 19 Head to Naples airport, depart at 1:25pm back to Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The development of certain types of primary brain tumors or brain cancers
- 2 Travel in England and Scotland
- 3 neighbourhood in Barcelona question
- 4 Vicking Legend - Danube waltz cruise
- 5 Fall 2016 England andScotland
- 6 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 7 Has anyone ever booked a Rome food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli?
- 8 Champagne Houses open in December - Reims
- 9 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 10 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 11 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera
- 12 Texans Take a Tour
- 13 Need help for itinerary with 4 yr old
- 14 Japan or Italy next spring
- 15 English countryside help (Cotswolds and Bath?)
- 16 Bahn.de rail travel in Germany
- 17 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 18 Night at MSM or Honfleur?
- 19 Schengen-Student Study Abroad-Student Visa Problems
- 20 Triple Occupancy room Amalfi Coast
- 21 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 22 Groupon Tours
- 23 short trip klon to koblenz
- 24 Puglia, where to stay for 8 days or so
- 25 Looking for architecture, paintings, castles, etc
Italy - Honeymoon (18 nights) - Rough draft itinerary - sanity check?