First-time poster here. I am looking for feedback or advice from all you travel veterans!
My wife and I have been to Italy twice, both in a group format. We went to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Turin, Florence and some nice gems in between (Orvieto, Bolsena, Lanciano). This summer we are planning to go again just the two of us. We're aiming for last week of July into first week of August. Our brainstorming has come up with the following ideas:
Fly into Milan. Spend a few days at an agrotourism (agrotorismo) outside Bolsena. Then spend a few days in the Pisa and Lucca area to see, of course, the leaning tower which is on my wife's to-do list, but mostly to spend time possibly renting bicycles, perhaps attend a cooking class, and finding some leisure time. We were looking at a Bed and Breakfast in this area. Finally, our last day or two would be in the area outside Milan to include Magenta and Mesero, both having to do with the life of St. Gianna Molla. We may stay at a hotel/restaurant in Magenta.
Some items we need help with: The costs, benefits, and drawbacks to traveling by rail vs a rental car. Stated up front: I never learned to drive manually, so we'd rent the smallest automatic we could get. Prices seem to range from a few hundred (at the italian web sites) to over a thousand (on some US-based sites) and beyond. I do see the rail travels to most of the places on our itinerary, though sometimes a taxi may be needed. I wonder which option would add up the most - a car or the combination of rail/taxi.
Also, has anyone ever been to an agrotorismo (farm) and spent any time there? It seems really enjoyable! but, just wondering if anyone has any tips about...well....anything I guess.
I think thats about it for my broad request. Just looking for some advice about the time of year (which we really don't have a choice on), things to do in these areas, best ways to travel, etc. Anything would be helpful at this point.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel WiFi - France
- 2 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 3 3 days to spend in europe
- 4 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 5 RFID Protection
- 6 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 7 Spain Trip Report
- 8 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 9 Berlin restaurant recs
- 10 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 11 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 12 20 free days of Europe
- 13 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 14 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 15 Limo from Heathrow
- 16 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 17 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 18 Iceland Trip report
- 19 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 20 What's the Best way to go to çekirge bursa
- 21 Seville in late January
- 22 Gelato course in Rome?
- 23 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 24 Frankfurt Airport Rail Connection
- 25 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
ITALY: Help with itinerary of Bologna, Pisa, Lucca, Magenta