First-time poster here. I am looking for feedback or advice from all you travel veterans!
My wife and I have been to Italy twice, both in a group format. We went to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Turin, Florence and some nice gems in between (Orvieto, Bolsena, Lanciano). This summer we are planning to go again just the two of us. We're aiming for last week of July into first week of August. Our brainstorming has come up with the following ideas:
Fly into Milan. Spend a few days at an agrotourism (agrotorismo) outside Bolsena. Then spend a few days in the Pisa and Lucca area to see, of course, the leaning tower which is on my wife's to-do list, but mostly to spend time possibly renting bicycles, perhaps attend a cooking class, and finding some leisure time. We were looking at a Bed and Breakfast in this area. Finally, our last day or two would be in the area outside Milan to include Magenta and Mesero, both having to do with the life of St. Gianna Molla. We may stay at a hotel/restaurant in Magenta.
Some items we need help with: The costs, benefits, and drawbacks to traveling by rail vs a rental car. Stated up front: I never learned to drive manually, so we'd rent the smallest automatic we could get. Prices seem to range from a few hundred (at the italian web sites) to over a thousand (on some US-based sites) and beyond. I do see the rail travels to most of the places on our itinerary, though sometimes a taxi may be needed. I wonder which option would add up the most - a car or the combination of rail/taxi.
Also, has anyone ever been to an agrotorismo (farm) and spent any time there? It seems really enjoyable! but, just wondering if anyone has any tips about...well....anything I guess.
I think thats about it for my broad request. Just looking for some advice about the time of year (which we really don't have a choice on), things to do in these areas, best ways to travel, etc. Anything would be helpful at this point.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netherlands,Belgium,Austria and South Germany
- 2 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 3 Ireland
- 4 What do after Bernia Express?
- 5 No Periods in British Written English!
- 6 Does Mannedorf exist?
- 7 10 day Italy
- 8 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 9 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 10 Santorini lodging
- 11 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 12 Amalfi or Tuscany?
- 13 El Pastrami en Madrid
- 14 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 15 What to do at 7:00am
- 16 Italy - Car vs Train: Milan, Cinque Terre, Lalyake District in March
- 17 Where to stay in Reykjavik
- 18 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 19 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 20 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 21 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 22 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 23 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 24 Planning a European Trip
- 25 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
ITALY: Help with itinerary of Bologna, Pisa, Lucca, Magenta