First-time poster here. I am looking for feedback or advice from all you travel veterans!
My wife and I have been to Italy twice, both in a group format. We went to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Turin, Florence and some nice gems in between (Orvieto, Bolsena, Lanciano). This summer we are planning to go again just the two of us. We're aiming for last week of July into first week of August. Our brainstorming has come up with the following ideas:
Fly into Milan. Spend a few days at an agrotourism (agrotorismo) outside Bolsena. Then spend a few days in the Pisa and Lucca area to see, of course, the leaning tower which is on my wife's to-do list, but mostly to spend time possibly renting bicycles, perhaps attend a cooking class, and finding some leisure time. We were looking at a Bed and Breakfast in this area. Finally, our last day or two would be in the area outside Milan to include Magenta and Mesero, both having to do with the life of St. Gianna Molla. We may stay at a hotel/restaurant in Magenta.
Some items we need help with: The costs, benefits, and drawbacks to traveling by rail vs a rental car. Stated up front: I never learned to drive manually, so we'd rent the smallest automatic we could get. Prices seem to range from a few hundred (at the italian web sites) to over a thousand (on some US-based sites) and beyond. I do see the rail travels to most of the places on our itinerary, though sometimes a taxi may be needed. I wonder which option would add up the most - a car or the combination of rail/taxi.
Also, has anyone ever been to an agrotorismo (farm) and spent any time there? It seems really enjoyable! but, just wondering if anyone has any tips about...well....anything I guess.
I think thats about it for my broad request. Just looking for some advice about the time of year (which we really don't have a choice on), things to do in these areas, best ways to travel, etc. Anything would be helpful at this point.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip to Italy- Help!
- 2 Quick 10 day Europe trip
- 3 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 4 2-3 week Europe itinerary - help!
- 5 Airport Transportation
- 6 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 7 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 8 No PNR code on Trenitalia online ticket?
- 9 Madrid or Barcelona first?
- 10 London is it worth it?
- 11 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 12 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 13 London and Normandy
- 14 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 15 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 16 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 17 Any itinerary hints for Prague
- 18 Transfer from Naples Airport to Positano
- 19 free international phone calls
- 20 France Study Abroad
- 21 Lisbon
- 22 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 23 Storing bags while traveling using Swiss Rail Pass.
- 24 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 25 Taxi from Heathrow Airport
ITALY: Help with itinerary of Bologna, Pisa, Lucca, Magenta