First-time poster here. I am looking for feedback or advice from all you travel veterans!
My wife and I have been to Italy twice, both in a group format. We went to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Turin, Florence and some nice gems in between (Orvieto, Bolsena, Lanciano). This summer we are planning to go again just the two of us. We're aiming for last week of July into first week of August. Our brainstorming has come up with the following ideas:
Fly into Milan. Spend a few days at an agrotourism (agrotorismo) outside Bolsena. Then spend a few days in the Pisa and Lucca area to see, of course, the leaning tower which is on my wife's to-do list, but mostly to spend time possibly renting bicycles, perhaps attend a cooking class, and finding some leisure time. We were looking at a Bed and Breakfast in this area. Finally, our last day or two would be in the area outside Milan to include Magenta and Mesero, both having to do with the life of St. Gianna Molla. We may stay at a hotel/restaurant in Magenta.
Some items we need help with: The costs, benefits, and drawbacks to traveling by rail vs a rental car. Stated up front: I never learned to drive manually, so we'd rent the smallest automatic we could get. Prices seem to range from a few hundred (at the italian web sites) to over a thousand (on some US-based sites) and beyond. I do see the rail travels to most of the places on our itinerary, though sometimes a taxi may be needed. I wonder which option would add up the most - a car or the combination of rail/taxi.
Also, has anyone ever been to an agrotorismo (farm) and spent any time there? It seems really enjoyable! but, just wondering if anyone has any tips about...well....anything I guess.
I think thats about it for my broad request. Just looking for some advice about the time of year (which we really don't have a choice on), things to do in these areas, best ways to travel, etc. Anything would be helpful at this point.
ITALY: Help with itinerary of Bologna, Pisa, Lucca, Magenta
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 2 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 3 Madrid and London
- 4 Spend the day in Geneva or go straight to Chamonix?
- 5 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 6 Stay away from EF Tours
- 7 Getting cash in Spain
- 8 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 9 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 10 Need Advice on 18 Days into Madrid, out of Bilbao
- 11 Sirop and Sandwiches, Normandy, Loire and Paris with our grandsons
- 12 Spain Portugal 2015 schedule
- 13 How long in Venice?
- 14 Oktoberfest vs Amsterdam
- 15 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 16 Help w/ rental car arrangements-Pickup in Lisbon, Portugal-Drop in Seville?
- 17 Posting from Siena-ATM emergency! Help needed!
- 18 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 19 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 20 10 days in England
- 21 Sicily 4-6 weeks
- 22 Italy things to do?
- 23 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 24 Questions about the Chateau de Vincennes
- 25 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?