First-time poster here. I am looking for feedback or advice from all you travel veterans!
My wife and I have been to Italy twice, both in a group format. We went to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Turin, Florence and some nice gems in between (Orvieto, Bolsena, Lanciano). This summer we are planning to go again just the two of us. We're aiming for last week of July into first week of August. Our brainstorming has come up with the following ideas:
Fly into Milan. Spend a few days at an agrotourism (agrotorismo) outside Bolsena. Then spend a few days in the Pisa and Lucca area to see, of course, the leaning tower which is on my wife's to-do list, but mostly to spend time possibly renting bicycles, perhaps attend a cooking class, and finding some leisure time. We were looking at a Bed and Breakfast in this area. Finally, our last day or two would be in the area outside Milan to include Magenta and Mesero, both having to do with the life of St. Gianna Molla. We may stay at a hotel/restaurant in Magenta.
Some items we need help with: The costs, benefits, and drawbacks to traveling by rail vs a rental car. Stated up front: I never learned to drive manually, so we'd rent the smallest automatic we could get. Prices seem to range from a few hundred (at the italian web sites) to over a thousand (on some US-based sites) and beyond. I do see the rail travels to most of the places on our itinerary, though sometimes a taxi may be needed. I wonder which option would add up the most - a car or the combination of rail/taxi.
Also, has anyone ever been to an agrotorismo (farm) and spent any time there? It seems really enjoyable! but, just wondering if anyone has any tips about...well....anything I guess.
I think thats about it for my broad request. Just looking for some advice about the time of year (which we really don't have a choice on), things to do in these areas, best ways to travel, etc. Anything would be helpful at this point.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Citadines Bastille Marais
- 2 Recommendations re walking tours in Dubrovnik and Split
- 3 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 4 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 5 Amalfi or Positano
- 6 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 7 Public Transport information App/Website
- 8 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 9 Help required with Ireland Itinerary
- 10 Kids Travel Guides for Reading up!
- 11 church / cathedral (organ/classic music) concerts in Granada/Seville ?
- 12 12 Days in Italy
- 13 Sleeping Beauty's Castle
- 14 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 15 Romantic snowy mountain getaway to propose to my girlfriend
- 16 house exchange
- 17 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 18 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 19 Poland in September
- 20 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 21 Croatia travel ideas
- 22 Taormina, Sicily
- 23 Portugal and Southern Spain travel tips
- 24 Frantic Ticket Purchase Upends Itinerary ... No Open Jaw -
- 25 River Boat Cruise
ITALY: Help with itinerary of Bologna, Pisa, Lucca, Magenta