I have been having a lovely time reading a million posts and trip reports here.
We are a family 2A2C who love to travel and are planning a trip to Italy next April/May. We will be gone for 5 weeks but one of those will be spent in Paris.
I can speak Italian (rusty though atm) and DH and I have visited Italy before many times pre-children. We have been building them up with domestic (Australian), Asian and USA travels but now we are ready for the 24 hour flight!!! gulp...
I would love some feedback and comments on the first draft of our itinerary please.
Fly into either Rome/Paris and open jaw out of the opposite. We are not worried about which direction we go but may prefer Rome first as Paris may be warmer at the end of the trip. It will depend on flights/times/points.
Rome 7 nights
pick up hire car from somewhere near where we are going to stay in Umbria, train from Rome to this place.
Umbria (thinking near Montone which is rural or Assisi in an apartment) if we stay rural we can drive around easier. 7 nights
Val d'Orcia 7 nights (will have car)
then I cannot decide (I mean I could easily holiday for 4 years and still not decide!!!) between 3 nights Bologna/4 nights Venice or whether to have 7 nights in Venice, or 3 nights Florence/4 nights Lucca...I am very open to suggestions.
Then we will fly to Paris for 7 nights. (this is the children's request).
We will stay in apartments and like to take our time exploring at our own pace and enjoying a place. We are not travelling to tick things off our lists, but to relish the things we choose to see and experience. Our children love to travel and love the exotic and food.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Loire or Provence in January?
- 2 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 3 Entertaining 17 year-old in Rome
- 4 Rome or Venice first
- 5 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 6 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 7 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 10 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 11 Day trip from London in December
- 12 Place to Eat in Aix-en-Provence
- 13 Good Pocket Map Guide To Amsterdam
- 14 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 15 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 16 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 17 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 18 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 19 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 20 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 21 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 22 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 23 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 24 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 25 Europe First Timers