A friend and I are going to Italy for 3 weeks, then flying to Barcelona for 5 nights and heading home after that.
Our current plan is to fly into Venice (tickets have been booked) and spend around 3 nights there, then our itinerary is simply to make it down to Rome, where we will then depart to Barcelona.
We have an idea of the places we want to see on the way down to Rome, but I would love to hear any suggestions or recommendations on cities or towns to visit, how long to stay for, or activities that are a must. We plan on doing a lot of eating, drinking, and walking around, museums, beaches, hiking, and are open to more!
After leaving Venice (3 nights), this is our plan;
Train to La Spezia- visit the Cinque Terre area (day trip or stay longer?)
Should we stop in Bologna as a base for 3 nights and make a day trip to Cinque Terre?
We also want to stop in Pisa, just to see the Leaning Tower.
Train to Florence (4 nights)- we want to get a good feel of Florence, but also want to take advantage of being in the Tuscany region
Train to Siena (2 nights) -maybe a day trip to Chianti?
Train to Rome (4-5 nights) lots of sightseeing, and also a bit of time to relax. Thinking about visiting Capri
Train to Naples (4 nights)- Visit Pompeii, maybe Sorrento, and spend a day on the Amalfi Coast(!!)
We arrive in Venice September 1st, with this itinerary of 19 days, we have 1-2 days to spare/or for mishaps before our flight to Barcelona.
Any Barcelona recommendations are also appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 2 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 5 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 6 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 7 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 8 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 12 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 13 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 14 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 15 Bruges
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 18 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 19 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 20 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 21 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 22 Planning A trip
- 23 A week in the Occitanie
- 24 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 25 Paris Neighborhood Help