I'm travelling alone in Europe for my first time and would really appreciate some advice. Really looking forward to this trip, it's my last holiday as I finish Uni and before I start full time work. So it may be awhile before I get to do something like this again!
I have around 2 weeks from mid December and I'd really love to see: Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa and Pompeii.
I'm particularly interested in the historical aspects of Italy. (Renaissance, Mt Vesuvius etc)
I'm not a huge art fan and wouldn't spend all day in a gallery but I wouldn't mind some of this also!
Budget wise I'm not too bad, I have some savings from working while studying. However if I don't decide to go in a group tour I'd definitely prefer hostels or airbnb's as it's just a nice way to meet others and immerse yourself in the city over hotels in my opinion.
I was actually considering taking this Contiki tour as I've never travelled alone before and haven't been around Europe very much. http://www.contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/191-simply-italy-winter#
I've read around these forums and saw that many attractions have quite variable hours in Italy so I feel like going on a tour would be very helpful for a fairly inexperienced European traveller like myself!
However, I am also aware that Contiki tours are fairly party orientated and may not allow me to see as much of the sights as I would like? I'm not much of a nightlife type of person. However, most other group tours as far as I am aware of are not really running in this time period, and those dates are actually perfect for myself.
Does anyone have any recommendations on other group tours? Or would you recommend travelling solo?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 2 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 6 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 7 Milan or Turin
- 8 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Barcelona alternative
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 13 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 17 Iceland early december visit
- 18 Frankfurt to UK
- 19 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 20 God Save the Queen?
- 21 Road trip with our dog
- 22 9 Days in Spain
- 23 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 24 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 25 Spanish Medical Providers
Italy December 2 weeks. First time travelling alone - Group tour or solo?