I'm travelling alone in Europe for my first time and would really appreciate some advice. Really looking forward to this trip, it's my last holiday as I finish Uni and before I start full time work. So it may be awhile before I get to do something like this again!
I have around 2 weeks from mid December and I'd really love to see: Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa and Pompeii.
I'm particularly interested in the historical aspects of Italy. (Renaissance, Mt Vesuvius etc)
I'm not a huge art fan and wouldn't spend all day in a gallery but I wouldn't mind some of this also!
Budget wise I'm not too bad, I have some savings from working while studying. However if I don't decide to go in a group tour I'd definitely prefer hostels or airbnb's as it's just a nice way to meet others and immerse yourself in the city over hotels in my opinion.
I was actually considering taking this Contiki tour as I've never travelled alone before and haven't been around Europe very much. http://www.contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/191-simply-italy-winter#
I've read around these forums and saw that many attractions have quite variable hours in Italy so I feel like going on a tour would be very helpful for a fairly inexperienced European traveller like myself!
However, I am also aware that Contiki tours are fairly party orientated and may not allow me to see as much of the sights as I would like? I'm not much of a nightlife type of person. However, most other group tours as far as I am aware of are not really running in this time period, and those dates are actually perfect for myself.
Does anyone have any recommendations on other group tours? Or would you recommend travelling solo?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 2 Short Trip in July
- 3 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 4 Things to do in Brussels
- 5 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 6 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 7 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 8 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 9 Naxos car rental
- 10 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 11 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 12 K-Day
- 13 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 14 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 15 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 18 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 19 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 20 Greek Islands (small)
- 21 Campervan in Croatia
- 22 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 23 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 24 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 25 UK Visa Help
Italy December 2 weeks. First time travelling alone - Group tour or solo?