I have been enjoying this forum for weeks. I've also been reading the big name travel books...Fodor's, Frommer's and Steve's. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy next spring. We are 50 somethings and celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. After much thought we have decided to go for 3 weeks (20 touring days)and spend all of the time in Italy. We'd considered combining with a cruise and our son thinks we should visit another country on the way home just because.
Right now I am thinking begin in Rome (4 nights or so), then travel to the Amalfi Coast. I'm thinking of Sorrento for a home base with a 1 or 2 night stay on Capri. We love hiking and any outdoor pursuits. Let's say 5-6 nights total. Next north to Tuscany possibly based in Siena. I'm still reading about Tuscany and Umbria. We would end our trip in Venice and fly home from there.
My itinerary is not at all etched in stone. I'd like to leave around April 13 and return on May 4. This time suits both our jobs well. My concerns are the weather being too cool to enjoy the coast and the fact that we will be in Italy for 2 national holidays. April 25 and May 1. We certainly can shift the date. One week earlier is the Saturday after Easter. If we left earlier we would miss the May holiday.
I'm anxious for the opinions of all you experienced travelers. Once I pin down the dates I can start to look for bargain airfare. Then I can really fine tune my length of stay in different areas. I am a second generation Italian in the States and I love my heritage. I'd like to have a chance to savor our experience and not rush here and there.
Thanks in advance for any help you can be.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 2 Best Indian / Vegetarian restaurant in Athens
- 3 Train/s from Antwerp to Cochem, Germany
- 4 Thalys ticket, please advice.
- 5 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 6 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 7 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 8 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 9 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 10 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 11 UK Itinerary Help Please
- 12 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence
- 13 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 14 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 15 Flight CANCELLED by British Airways without notice or refund
- 16 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 17 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 18 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 19 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 20 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 21 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 22 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 23 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 24 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 25 Piedmont as a destination