I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 2 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 3 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 4 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 5 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 6 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 7 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
- 8 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 9 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 10 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 11 20 free days of Europe
- 12 Venice to Rome via Pisa in 1 day
- 13 CDG international flight
- 14 *Need help w/Puglia itinerary*
- 15 12 days europe
- 16 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 17 Budapest on a budget
- 18 Seville in late January
- 19 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 20 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 21 Help family trip Sardinia with 2years old
- 22 3 days to spend in europe
- 23 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 24 RFID Protection
- 25 Beaches in Southern France
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??