I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Timing when visiting the Dordogne Department
- 2 SIM card
- 3 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 4 Advice to store my luggage in Paris ?
- 5 All of Spain or something else..?
- 6 Markets in Malaga, Seville, Madrid
- 7 Enjoying England for a year!
- 8 http://www.supplementadvise.com/optimum-garcinia-plus/
- 9 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 10 RENFE error message during payment
- 11 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 12 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 13 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 14 Shipping wine from Italy to Massachusetts
- 15 Holiday in Cilento Region
- 16 Greece Experts
- 17 http://www.healthyminimarket.com/invigor8-reviews/
- 18 Europe itinerary review
- 19 Food or Tapas tours in Madrid and/or Barcelona
- 20 Lunch near Sants station Barcelona
- 21 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 22 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 23 Gracia Neighborhood in Barcelona Spain
- 24 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 25 http://healthnbeautyfacts.com/sytropin-hgh-spray/
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??