I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BROTHER@ printer errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 2 Iceland car rental agencies
- 3 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 4 Italy in January?
- 5 How much do you tip a tour guide on an escorted tour?
- 6 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 7 retruning to US with souveniers
- 8 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 11 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 12 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 13 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 14 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 15 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 16 10 days in London in early December
- 17 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 18 Berlin to ?
- 19 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 20 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 21 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 22 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 23 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 24 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 25 Scotland in December
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??