I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??
- 1 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 2 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 3 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 4 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 5 Euro Train
- 6 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 7 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 8 Spain - Andalucia
- 9 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 10 One more last question on Bayeux
- 11 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 12 banger rally around europe?
- 13 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 14 Spain Train Reservations - Seat assignment
- 15 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 16 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 17 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 18 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 19 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 20 Trip around Spain
- 21 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 22 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 23 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 24 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 25 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report