I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary check for Sicily, please!!
- 2 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,
- 3 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 4 10 days in Paris and......
- 5 We're here!
- 6 Car Hire in Croatia, any recommendations?
- 7 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Itinerary Help - ?Prague, Austria, Italy
- 11 Budapest & Prague
- 12 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 13 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 14 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 15 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 16 Purchase Train Ticket Madrid to Toledo Ahead?
- 17 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 18 Swiss Travel Pass
- 19 Hello -Please- Excuse Me- Good-Bye - Thank You ???
- 20 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 21 Athens
- 22 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 23 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 24 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 25 Lisbon-mini trip report
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??