I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 2 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 3 Trieste or Venice car rental offices open Saturday afternoon ?
- 4 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 5 One Way... trust or bust?
- 6 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 7 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 8 Italy weather last week of March.
- 9 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 10 Need suggestions on where to stay in Porto?
- 11 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 12 First Trip to Europe, HELP
- 13 Alhambra
- 14 Antwerp Tram
- 15 Paris weather
- 16 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 17 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 18 11 Days - Ljubljana, Croatia, Sarajevo
- 19 Day trip from Munich to Salzburg?
- 20 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 21 Advice for London 2 days
- 22 Hiking in Tyrol Austria
- 23 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?
- 24 French Vacation in Mid-America
- 25 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??