We are getting married in Sep '13 (long way off but I love planning!) and planning on having our honeymoon in Italy and Switzerland for around 3 weeks (arriving 1st October, departing around the 22nd/23rd).
We have never been to either country but enjoyed a holiday in Paris earlier this year, of which our main points of interest were the food and the history/architecture (we are Australian so have nothing like Europe)! We enjoyed walking everywhere and loved to take in the views and atmosphere. I also lived in Queenstown, NZ a few years ago and am very excited for the scenery I can expect in Switzerland.
For our honeymoon we are looking at the following:
- Rome - 4 nights
- Florence (via Pisa) - 2 nights
- Venice - 2 nights
- St Moritz (via 1 night in Verona) - 3 nights
- Zermatt (via Glacier Express) - 4 nights
- Montreux (chocolate train and Chillon Castle - 2 nights
- Geneva (to fly in/out of, possible miss visiting the city itself)
What direction would you recommend we travel (ie in the direction stated or the reverse)? Also, as you can see I have a few nights to add - where would you recommend I add these?
I understand it will be the very end of the Summer Season in Switzerland (and is probably low season). I have started looking at available accommodation (our average would be AUD$400 a night, expecting some nights to go beyond this and some under) and see a lot is closed down in St Moritz and Zermatt. What are your thoughts on the Muotta Muragl in St Moritz? Also, has anyone stayed at 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat Zermatt-Matterhorn - looks like an awesome experience, but would you recommend just 1 night there?
Any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated based on our budget, as well as any must-do's or restaurant recommendations (we dined at L'Astrance in Paris and hoping to find something which can stand up to it!).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Never Mind"
- 2 Our Itinerary for 25 Days in Portugal
- 3 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 4 Killarney
- 5 Cornwall Advice
- 6 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 7 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 8 Affordable 1 year French courses in France? Recommendations?
- 9 Florence Travel Guide
- 10 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 11 Connecting flight time in Europe
- 12 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 13 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 14 London: Travel Alert for Kings Cross Station!
- 15 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 16 Rome Advice?
- 17 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 18 Well with itinerary North East Italy (again please!)
- 19 Italian lakes
- 20 Via del Sale, Italy
- 21 How many nights in Verona and Bologna?
- 22 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 23 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 24 Andalucia itinerary help
- 25 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now