We are getting married in Sep '13 (long way off but I love planning!) and planning on having our honeymoon in Italy and Switzerland for around 3 weeks (arriving 1st October, departing around the 22nd/23rd).
We have never been to either country but enjoyed a holiday in Paris earlier this year, of which our main points of interest were the food and the history/architecture (we are Australian so have nothing like Europe)! We enjoyed walking everywhere and loved to take in the views and atmosphere. I also lived in Queenstown, NZ a few years ago and am very excited for the scenery I can expect in Switzerland.
For our honeymoon we are looking at the following:
- Rome - 4 nights
- Florence (via Pisa) - 2 nights
- Venice - 2 nights
- St Moritz (via 1 night in Verona) - 3 nights
- Zermatt (via Glacier Express) - 4 nights
- Montreux (chocolate train and Chillon Castle - 2 nights
- Geneva (to fly in/out of, possible miss visiting the city itself)
What direction would you recommend we travel (ie in the direction stated or the reverse)? Also, as you can see I have a few nights to add - where would you recommend I add these?
I understand it will be the very end of the Summer Season in Switzerland (and is probably low season). I have started looking at available accommodation (our average would be AUD$400 a night, expecting some nights to go beyond this and some under) and see a lot is closed down in St Moritz and Zermatt. What are your thoughts on the Muotta Muragl in St Moritz? Also, has anyone stayed at 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat Zermatt-Matterhorn - looks like an awesome experience, but would you recommend just 1 night there?
Any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated based on our budget, as well as any must-do's or restaurant recommendations (we dined at L'Astrance in Paris and hoping to find something which can stand up to it!).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 토토 총판 총판노하우토토 총판 방법 kakao: dnj2016 텔레그램 : speed2017
- 2 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 3 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 4 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 5 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 6 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 7 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 8 Cell Phone Question
- 9 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 10 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 11 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 12 Greek Islands (small)
- 13 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 14 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 15 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 16 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 17 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 18 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 19 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 20 Campervan in Croatia
- 21 advance tickets?
- 22 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 23 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 24 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 25 Como Bus to Bellagio