We are getting married in Sep '13 (long way off but I love planning!) and planning on having our honeymoon in Italy and Switzerland for around 3 weeks (arriving 1st October, departing around the 22nd/23rd).
We have never been to either country but enjoyed a holiday in Paris earlier this year, of which our main points of interest were the food and the history/architecture (we are Australian so have nothing like Europe)! We enjoyed walking everywhere and loved to take in the views and atmosphere. I also lived in Queenstown, NZ a few years ago and am very excited for the scenery I can expect in Switzerland.
For our honeymoon we are looking at the following:
- Rome - 4 nights
- Florence (via Pisa) - 2 nights
- Venice - 2 nights
- St Moritz (via 1 night in Verona) - 3 nights
- Zermatt (via Glacier Express) - 4 nights
- Montreux (chocolate train and Chillon Castle - 2 nights
- Geneva (to fly in/out of, possible miss visiting the city itself)
What direction would you recommend we travel (ie in the direction stated or the reverse)? Also, as you can see I have a few nights to add - where would you recommend I add these?
I understand it will be the very end of the Summer Season in Switzerland (and is probably low season). I have started looking at available accommodation (our average would be AUD$400 a night, expecting some nights to go beyond this and some under) and see a lot is closed down in St Moritz and Zermatt. What are your thoughts on the Muotta Muragl in St Moritz? Also, has anyone stayed at 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat Zermatt-Matterhorn - looks like an awesome experience, but would you recommend just 1 night there?
Any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated based on our budget, as well as any must-do's or restaurant recommendations (we dined at L'Astrance in Paris and hoping to find something which can stand up to it!).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Les Invalides Night Show
- 2 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 3 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 4 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 5 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 6 barcelona neighborhood
- 7 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 8 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 9 Best Greek Island
- 10 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 11 Which Day?
- 12 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 13 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 14 Shorts in South of France?
- 15 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 16 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 17 Corsica and Sardinia
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Regarding Residence Permit
- 20 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 21 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 22 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 23 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 24 Kroller-Muller Museum
- 25 limousine services - milan - rome