We are getting married in Sep '13 (long way off but I love planning!) and planning on having our honeymoon in Italy and Switzerland for around 3 weeks (arriving 1st October, departing around the 22nd/23rd).
We have never been to either country but enjoyed a holiday in Paris earlier this year, of which our main points of interest were the food and the history/architecture (we are Australian so have nothing like Europe)! We enjoyed walking everywhere and loved to take in the views and atmosphere. I also lived in Queenstown, NZ a few years ago and am very excited for the scenery I can expect in Switzerland.
For our honeymoon we are looking at the following:
- Rome - 4 nights
- Florence (via Pisa) - 2 nights
- Venice - 2 nights
- St Moritz (via 1 night in Verona) - 3 nights
- Zermatt (via Glacier Express) - 4 nights
- Montreux (chocolate train and Chillon Castle - 2 nights
- Geneva (to fly in/out of, possible miss visiting the city itself)
What direction would you recommend we travel (ie in the direction stated or the reverse)? Also, as you can see I have a few nights to add - where would you recommend I add these?
I understand it will be the very end of the Summer Season in Switzerland (and is probably low season). I have started looking at available accommodation (our average would be AUD$400 a night, expecting some nights to go beyond this and some under) and see a lot is closed down in St Moritz and Zermatt. What are your thoughts on the Muotta Muragl in St Moritz? Also, has anyone stayed at 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat Zermatt-Matterhorn - looks like an awesome experience, but would you recommend just 1 night there?
Any hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated based on our budget, as well as any must-do's or restaurant recommendations (we dined at L'Astrance in Paris and hoping to find something which can stand up to it!).
Thanks in advance!
Italy and Switzerland honeymoon
- 1 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 2 Our 4 weeks in Turkey - Trip Report
- 3 How do I get from Copenhagen to Malmo by Train?
- 4 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 5 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 6 Climbing Snowdon
- 7 Zee Best
- 8 river cruise choice
- 9 pier in Copenhagen
- 10 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 11 Rome apartment
- 12 I have a new eBook out on Mystical Ireland Travel
- 13 Paros or Naxos?
- 14 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 15 Florence: Medici Chapel & Basilica di Santa Croce
- 16 Need restaurant recommendations for cities in Croatia
- 17 Paris Transportation- Hotel near Saint Suplice Station to CDG Airport
- 18 Istanbul Hotels
- 19 Prague Hotels -Old Town
- 20 Positano: hotel recommendations needed!
- 21 General questions about Sicily
- 22 Confirm these things before you book yourself at B&B accommodation.
- 23 London and Paris; Christmas 2013!
- 24 Chatham Dockyards Need a Whole Day?
- 25 Yorkshire Dales and Moors home base? (and other questions)