We are planning our first ever trip to Italy (and first ever to any European destination together as a family) at the end of june 2014: 25 June through 8 Jul. Want suggestions for a relaxing vacation in Italy. I am currently thinking of doing Rome, Florence and Venice. Nothing set in stone yet only thing is that we have booked our flight: fly in and out of Rome from San Francisco.
1.Keep my daughters reasonably engaged,happy and interested through the entire trip.
2. Also want us (me, my wife and kids) to relax/indulge and experience countryside and Tuscany village(s).
* Which cities/places/hotels/villas can be recommended to stay in Rome, Florence (or any surrounding cities) and Venice? Particularly that are family/kids friendly. Can we rent a villa with a pool in one of the town/village in Tuscany area - would that be too expensive for single family?
* Is Venice must? Can we simply do 4-5 days in Rome and rest in Florence/Tuscany area?
* What could be good locations/places/day trips to visit apart from these three big cities in this 12 day visit?
* After doing some initial research - thinking of traveling between cities by train. Is there a need to rent a car if we want to experience Tuscany/Florence area?
* Is end of June/First week of July too hot to roam/walk around?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 2 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 3 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 4 Scotland Trip
- 5 Holiday in Austria
- 6 where to visit besides Oslo for 2 days 1 night in mid december
- 7 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 8 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 9 What one thing in Paris?
- 10 Restaurant Booking sites which one to use, if any, in Spain?
- 11 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 12 Golden sunsets in Tver and Torjor
- 13 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 14 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 15 Paris Under Seige...
- 16 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 17 Cinque Terre day trip in about 3 weeks
- 18 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 19 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 20 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 21 Five day Iceland getaway in rainy November
- 22 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 23 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 24 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 25 Restaurant for New Year's Eve in PARIS
Italy: 12 Days Itinerary Suggestion Wanted: With 8 and 6 year old daughters