My husband and I spent a wonderful 10 days exploring the lake region of Italy in September. I have been remiss in writing about it but I just wanted to say that we have visited many parts of Italy and really thought that this area was so very special. Obviously it is quite beautiful but the people we met were incredibly warm and friendly. If you are fortunate enough to go, we really enjoyed the hospitality and warmth of the gracious hosts at La Luna nel Porto. This was a modest but beautiful lttle spot right on the lake in Stresa. We loved Stresa, which, IMO felt a little like Rome and Nice rolled into one. Also, we visited the wonderful Al Buscion wine bar almost every day and had a wonderful time trying the different wines and the delicious meats and cheeses and bruschetta they offered. We came to know the family a bit and look forward to some day returning. Barbara and Massimo, the proprieters, are lovely people and we really enjoyed meeting them. We also spent a few days in Valsolda and made some other new Italian friends. By coincidence, the too run a wine bar called Cioccolato in San Mamete! I guess there is something about wine that we graviate towards Samantha and Giussepe are lovely people and they invited us to an authentic polenta festival up in the mountains, which was a wonderful experience for many, many reasons. You can never go wrong in Italy but the combination of the beauty of the lake region along with the warmth of the people can't be beat. There are many details that I am leaving out of this fantastic trip but I really wanted to be sure to mention Al Buscion in Stressa and Cioccolato in San Mamete, since they were so generous to us while we were there. Happy travels to all!
Italian Lake Region, Stresa
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 2 Prague Main Train Station
- 3 recommended airport transfer in rome italy
- 4 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 5 Berlin
- 6 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 7 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 8 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 9 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 10 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 11 ITALY IN 6 WEEKS
- 12 Train travel in Europe
- 13 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 14 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 15 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 16 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 17 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 18 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 19 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 20 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 21 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 22 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 23 When to visit Provence updated info
- 24 Purchasing SNCF Tickets
- 25 Itinerary Questions