My wife and I are traveling to Italy mid-June. All hotels are booked and driving from once we to land to when we depart. We've already been to Rome, Vatican, Florence, Naples and Milan and wanted to explore new areas. For background, we love culture shock, good food, art and museums. We would like to balance being active and experiencing new things with relaxing since we work hard back home. Understanding that we won't get 100% of the experience in any one place here since we are hopping around a lot, but hoping to get small tastes of each city/town. Interested if you have activity/food suggestions or any sort of travel tips (we're new to driving in Europe). Thanks!
Day 1 - Arriving early into Milan and driving straight to Como. We are between staying at the Borgo Antico Hotel in Como or the Eremo Gaudio in Varenna. The latter has better views but debating between the two towns and what's best for a young couple like us. (Also, is Varenna the same as Como in that it is possible to get to by car without ferry?)
Day 2 - Leaving Como mid-day and traveling to Monterosso, Cinque Terre for hiking and the view.
Day 3 - Cinque Terre
Day 4- Leaving Cinque Terre for Monticello in Tuscany. Hoping to use Monticello as a home base to see other places like Siena, etc. The plan is cooking classes, wineries, biking, etc. Would love recommendations!
Day 5 - Monticello
Day 6 - Monticello
Day 7 - Leaving Monticello for Firenze and spending the night there. Already have tickets for Uffizi and know where we are eating dinner.
Day 8 - Leaving to Milan in the AM and spending the day sightseeing there.
Day 9 - Departing Milan back to the states.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 2 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 3 SE ITALY
- 4 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 5 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 6 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 7 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 8 Helpful Hint
- 9 Romania : Tip in restaurants.
- 10 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 11 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 12 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 13 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 14 Itinerary for Italy, Slovenia and Croatia in December 2017
- 15 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 16 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 17 Croatia short sail trip
- 18 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 19 6 Days in Italy
- 20 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 21 Stu Tower
- 22 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 23 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 24 Two weeks in Greece early October
- 25 London and Paris - 3 days each