We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What Happened to My Hairdryer? - An Electrical Question
- 2 itinerary help needed - Mediterranean Turkey / Turquoise Coast
- 3 Southwestern England
- 4 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 5 North side of Thun Lake Switzerland as a lodging base
- 6 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 7 London/Help
- 8 Is Jungfraujoch worth the trip for a CLAUSTROPHOBIC person?
- 9 recommendations for driver/transfer tour from Siena to Rome airport.
- 10 Vatican Museum tour guide
- 11 Can teaching patriotism protect France?
- 12 Euro Quiz # 82 - Wednesday 4-1-15
- 13 Mont St. Michele?
- 14 Where to stay in Barcelona
- 15 Which disposable cell phone to buy in France?
- 16 Central European train travel
- 17 Rail connections from Rotterdam and ease of boarding train with luggage
- 18 Best driving map for Greece?
- 19 Sagrada Familia Ticket Choices
- 20 Lago d`Iseo
- 21 Train tickets within Italy
- 22 Can You Name theTen Most Popular Tourist Cities In Europe???
- 23 Aug/Sept trip to Amsterdam - time for Brussels too?
- 24 Seville Holy Week - Behind the Scenes!
- 25 2 for 1 tickets