We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland or Scotland
- 2 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 3 Bella to Rome
- 4 Help Making Xmas Vacation Decisions
- 5 Need help with destinations east of Stockholm
- 6 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 7 Two Month Europe Trip
- 8 La Barceloneta Protests.
- 9 First Trip to Europe
- 10 Reina Sofia guided tour?
- 11 Anyone used otel.com - is it reputable
- 12 Renting a car in Portugal from Autoeurope.com
- 13 30 male travelling alone for first time to central london.
- 14 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 15 The east coast of Italy
- 16 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 17 Bologna - 5 days too much?
- 18 Had vignette but got ticket anyway!
- 19 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.
- 20 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)
- 21 Cruise stop at Livirono (Florence/Pisa)
- 22 Photos from our Nearly 2 Weeks in Turkey
- 23 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 24 car rental avignon one day or hiring a driver
- 25 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips