We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 2 german rail ticket question
- 3 What to wear
- 4 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 5 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 6 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 7 Eating in France-two new books
- 8 High Level 12 day Itinerary for Turkey; Mountain Lovers and Photographer
- 9 London neighborhood suggestions
- 10 Where to buy Venice mask?
- 11 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 12 What to see along the Welsh coast?
- 13 Buying Masks in Venice
- 14 TJ Maxx is selling masks from Venice!
- 15 How much time to allow between flights at Athens airport?
- 16 Mask Making in Venice
- 17 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 18 Dublin Airport Hotel : Located at the airport, not close by
- 19 Picasso Museum-Paris
- 20 Fashion for larger man?
- 21 Greece- general questions and itinerary
- 22 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 23 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 24 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 25 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?