We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 2 England and Scotland
- 3 Dublin to Armagh?
- 4 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 5 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 6 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 7 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 8 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 9 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 10 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 11 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 12 Budapest to Berlin by Train - Tickets on DB BAHN not available for 05 Jan
- 13 Air pollution in Paris
- 14 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 15 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 16 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 17 connecting flight to marseille or not
- 18 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 19 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 20 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 21 France, Italy and Greec
- 22 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 23 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 24 Avignon to Bordeaux by Train
- 25 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio