We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Making Xmas Vacation Decisions
- 2 Rome to Amafi coast
- 3 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 4 Terrorism in Europe
- 5 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 6 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 7 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 8 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 9 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 10 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 11 Italy Trenitalia Strike
- 12 Where to stay on Lake Como with Car
- 13 Hotel in Lake Garda or Desenzano del Gard
- 14 Como or Bellagio hotel needed
- 15 Is WESTMINSTER & WEST END in London the best parts to stay?
- 16 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 17 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 18 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 19 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 20 Language Camp ANTALYA
- 21 How much luggage?????
- 22 Catalunya Pyrenees Itinerary
- 23 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 24 Cornwall or Paris?
- 25 car rental avignon one day or hiring a driver