We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Weekend in Norfolk
- 2 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 3 Bregenz or Lindau
- 4 A Greek sojourn
- 5 Garmisch Partenkirchen : Help pick a guest house/pension
- 6 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 7 Best beach town in Italy?
- 8 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 9 Checking or storing luggage at FCO
- 10 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 11 best transfer from Paris CDG to Paris hotel St Germain
- 12 Your Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe?
- 13 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 14 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 15 Italy and Croatia
- 16 Rome Italy air and land tour packages
- 17 Barcelona/Andalucia
- 18 Young couple - where to stay in London?
- 19 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 20 Spain, best travel route between Madrid & Barcelona?
- 21 Provence or Alsace in late March
- 22 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 23 The new Vuitton Foundation Museum in Paris
- 24 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 25 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary