We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris - Cochem - Cologne - Paris
- 2 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 3 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 4 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 5 Best cheap airport hotel/hostel in Madrid?
- 6 Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza - 1 week. Seeking lodging, itinerary suggestions.
- 7 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 8 Riga 2014
- 9 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 10 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 11 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 12 How Do I call the US from Italy?
- 13 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 14 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 15 Back home problems with sim card
- 16 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 17 Budapest
- 18 Bikerscott & Jamikins in Portugal 2010/2011
- 19 Budapest--baggage storage
- 20 Which hostel in Cinque Terre?
- 21 sim card for Prague, Budapest, and Vienna
- 22 Taxi in Rome from airport to city
- 23 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 24 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 25 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?