We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 2 Now for the Venice hotel
- 3 Where to stay near Loire castles?
- 4 Euro Travel Quiz - Places Reeking of History
- 5 Where to go in France mid July?
- 6 Innsbruck and surroundings
- 7 week in scotland
- 8 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 9 A guide to Madrid
- 10 What cities in Poland have you visited?
- 11 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 12 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 13 venice, italy
- 14 Rocamaxour
- 15 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 16 construction near Shangri-La Paris or Le Royal Monceau Paris?
- 17 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 18 Free family pass for kids with Berner Oberland Pass?
- 19 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 20 Home Base in Belgium
- 21 Greece after the Vote
- 22 April in Madrid
- 23 Big and little towns of Europe
- 24 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 25 Navigo Decouverte