We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro from Croatia
- 2 Cotswold Churches
- 3 Young couple - where to stay in London?
- 4 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 5 3 weeks in France starting in burgundy
- 6 Anyone used the new airline La Compagnie
- 7 Have you ever stayed in Praiano?
- 8 How much time in Amsterdam?
- 9 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 10 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 11 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 12 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 13 Ireland: Which region and where to go? (1st timer)
- 14 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 15 London Trip Travel
- 16 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 17 I dream of Europe
- 18 Weekend in Norfolk
- 19 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 20 St Germain
- 21 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 22 Autumn in Paris
- 23 Christmas Eve and Day in Munich
- 24 Frankfurt airport to Leuven, Belgium by train
- 25 Norway 2014