We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 2 Deciding on apartment location in Rome
- 3 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 4 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 5 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 6 Too many Trip Reports
- 7 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 8 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 9 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 10 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 11 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 12 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 13 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 14 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 15 Help with England/Wales tour
- 16 Reykjavik hotels
- 17 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 18 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 19 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 20 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 21 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 22 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 23 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 24 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 25 Norway 2014