We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland train system: first class??
- 2 Anciet Brits Were Cannibals
- 3 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 4 Taormina & Mt Etna
- 5 9 days in switzerland
- 6 Restaurants in San Sebastian
- 7 Barcelona and places around
- 8 Help for Last 3 days in Ireland!! One of these days is Dublin!!
- 9 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 10 Cookware in France
- 11 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 12 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 13 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 14 apartment
- 15 Areas to avoid as a person of color?
- 16 3 and a half days in Helsinki and Tallinn..help with itinerary?
- 17 Brontë Bicentenaries - plans unveiled starting 2016
- 18 Wine tour in Chianti
- 19 Three weeks in Italy with a two-year old
- 20 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 21 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 22 Minimum age to rent a hotel or hostel room
- 23 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 4 First Evening in Vienna
- 24 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 25 Scenic drive from Ghent to Amsterdam