We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 2 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 3 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 4 London at Easter
- 5 7 days in Andalucia
- 6 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 7 Health Resort & Medical Spa Panorama Morska Jarosławiec
- 8 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 9 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 10 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 11 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 12 Moscow AND St Petersburg
- 13 Moscow transportation from Domodedovo airport
- 14 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 15 Advises for trip to Russia
- 16 Dillit Language school in Rome?
- 17 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 18 Planning a holiday
- 19 Normandy in mid Sept?
- 20 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 21 Traveling within Italy
- 22 To Paris and Provence in June
- 23 How to Travel from Seville to Malaga
- 24 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 25 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report