We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Aerofloat-safe or not?
- 2 European Quiz: Tuesday # 67 - Seaside Resorts!
- 3 Greece and Turkey
- 4 13 Day Trip to Italy
- 5 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 6 Castle/Abbey Ruins in Wales - Night Access
- 7 Why Bilbao is the perfect getaway for foodies...
- 8 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 9 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 10 Bordeaux - how many nights? and what else in a week in that area?
- 11 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 12 RER B & D change at G du Nord or Chatelet?
- 13 What Irish/English map is best to have for an Ireland driving vacation
- 14 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 15 Trip to Russia – get the most!
- 16 Stop between Munich and Frankfurt
- 17 Thinking of visiting Iceland in May (1st May - 10th May)
- 18 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 19 17 days in Spain, best itinerary?
- 20 Hotel in Lisbon
- 21 Getting to London Gatwick or London Luton Airports from Heathrow?
- 22 Tyrol - need general help
- 23 Should we take the Bernina Express or not? Other Suggestions??
- 24 Italy food budget
- 25 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.