We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 2 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 3 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 4 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 5 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 6 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 7 Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?
- 8 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 9 going to italy
- 10 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 11 Are taxis easily obtained at the train station in Florence?
- 12 Stay away from EF Tours
- 13 Home base stay in Italy for vacation
- 14 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around
- 15 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 16 Thanks to Fodorites for help planning Paris/London trip
- 17 Italy things to do?
- 18 Getting cash in Spain
- 19 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 20 St. Paul's Cathedral bells
- 21 Sirop and Sandwiches, Normandy, Loire and Paris with our grandsons
- 22 How to do St. Petersburg in 24 or 48 hours with no visa?
- 23 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 24 Help w/ rental car arrangements-Pickup in Lisbon, Portugal-Drop in Seville?
- 25 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?