We will be visiting Istanbul in the Fall, and would really like to delve into the history of Topkapi Palace before we visit there (last time I was there, I enjoyed looking at the buildings, etc, but really would like to have known more about the inhabitants). Our Fodor's guidebook suggests reading up on Topkapi before visiting, and hints that there is a lot of intrigue and excitement surrounding the histories of the sultans and harem, etc, but doesn't give any specific book suggestions. I have tried searching online and have mostly found books about the history of the palace complex itself (buildings, expansion,etc), or the history of the palace inhabitants from the latter days of the Ottoman Empire (18th and 19th centuries), but nothing that is really a comprehensive history of the palace's inhabitants from the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!
Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice: budget hotel for high school group?
- 2 Music and/or Favorite Day Trips, Barcelona
- 3 Add a day to Madrid or Barcelona??
- 4 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 5 Trying to get a handle on our 19 days in Tuscany and Umbria
- 6 A Travel Junkie and Pastry Chef's Wet Dream
- 7 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 8 Budapest hop on hop off bus tour
- 9 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 10 Advice for a trip to Venice
- 11 Help finding private transfer from Monte Gordo, Portugal to Seville, Spain
- 12 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 13 Day Trips from Nice
- 14 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female
- 15 Iwan2go went to the Dordogne
- 16 Madrid: City Views
- 17 Spain Rental Car Logistics - Barcelona Train Station
- 18 How much luggage?????
- 19 Cornwall or Paris?
- 20 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 21 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 22 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 23 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 24 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 25 How to schedule train connection from Frankfurt Airport