We are visiting Istanbul in early September for 5 days. I was there for several days 5 years ago and had no issues. However, that was before the protests and I stayed in the main tourist area and was not out much after dark.
I'd like to see a bit more of the city away from the main tourist sites and later in the evening. I'm not looking for trouble but really enjoyed a day I just wandered some mostly residential areas across the river from the main area.
Does anyone have any late news of protesting or areas to definitely avoid? Besides unlighted back streets of course!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Purchasing Kosta Boda in Stockholm. Firsts and seconds
- 2 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 3 Villa Ephrussi Rothschild
- 4 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 5 Algarve - is it for me?
- 6 TIM in FCO - update
- 7 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 8 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 9 Itinery help Crete
- 10 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 11 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 12 16 days in France and Italy
- 13 Street parking in Barcelona?
- 14 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 15 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 16 Swiss Train Travel Help
- 17 Madrid food advice needed
- 18 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 19 Iceland trip report!
- 20 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 21 Paris for children
- 22 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 23 Naples + Walking Tour
- 24 Madrid, Andalusia and possibly Tangiers
- 25 Need hotel in Athens