We are visiting Istanbul in early September for 5 days. I was there for several days 5 years ago and had no issues. However, that was before the protests and I stayed in the main tourist area and was not out much after dark.
I'd like to see a bit more of the city away from the main tourist sites and later in the evening. I'm not looking for trouble but really enjoyed a day I just wandered some mostly residential areas across the river from the main area.
Does anyone have any late news of protesting or areas to definitely avoid? Besides unlighted back streets of course!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 2 Another tipping question: concierges
- 3 Purchasing iDTGV tickets at the station
- 4 Spain in July
- 5 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Acropolis Athens
- 8 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 9 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 10 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 13 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 14 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 15 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 16 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 17 We're here!
- 18 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 19 Trip Ideas
- 20 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 21 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 22 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 23 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 24 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 25 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June