We are visiting Istanbul in early September for 5 days. I was there for several days 5 years ago and had no issues. However, that was before the protests and I stayed in the main tourist area and was not out much after dark.
I'd like to see a bit more of the city away from the main tourist sites and later in the evening. I'm not looking for trouble but really enjoyed a day I just wandered some mostly residential areas across the river from the main area.
Does anyone have any late news of protesting or areas to definitely avoid? Besides unlighted back streets of course!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 5 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 6 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 7 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 10 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 11 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 12 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 13 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 14 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 15 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 16 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 17 Bruges
- 18 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 19 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 20 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 21 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 22 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 23 Planning A trip
- 24 A week in the Occitanie
- 25 Question about Loire Valley châteaux