My father and I will be in Istanbul in May for about six days. This will be my second visit there, though I didn't see much the first time around, for a number reasons. My father is 86 and not very upbeat, so I am trying to cheer him up a bit (he is coming from Iran, I am going from U.S.) I have booked Pera Palace, as I think my father will enjoy it's grandeur, though I realize it is somewhat faded now.
I would like to get some restaurant recommendations, similar to those that I saw referred to in a trip report by parosblue. There was a reference to a recommendations by otherchelebi.
I am also asking for some advice on whether I should hire a private tour guide. I typically go to all the places myself when I travel with my son, as I tend to research them well in advance. But I am wondering if will be efficient for us to do one day with this private tour guide, to get to know the places and not worry about transportation -- or if it's just as good to hire a car with driver and tell him where to go (the latter must be much cheaper than the 300 EUR the tour guide is charging).
The places on my list (not having done my research yet) are Topkapı Sarayı, Galata Dervish House, Spice Bazaar, Rüstem Paşa Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Bosporus Boat Tour. I am also trying to find some good and fun night clubs to take my father. Personally, I like the small alleys and neighborhoods, authentic restaurants, and historical sites, especially those that highlight how the Turkish culture has evolved.
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the above. Many thanks in advance.
Istanbul in May- Need Itinerary and Restaurant recommendations Please!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 2 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 3 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 4 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 5 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 6 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 7 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 8 Paris in black and white
- 9 Two Sisters-in-law in Italy
- 10 Wineries open on Saturdays in October
- 11 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 12 Hey Fodor's
- 13 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 14 Lagos or Portimao better base to stay
- 15 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 16 Douro cruise in last week of November?
- 17 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 18 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 19 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 20 Advice please...
- 21 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 22 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 23 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 24 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 25 Globus Tour Highlights of Britain & Ireland