My father and I will be in Istanbul in May for about six days. This will be my second visit there, though I didn't see much the first time around, for a number reasons. My father is 86 and not very upbeat, so I am trying to cheer him up a bit (he is coming from Iran, I am going from U.S.) I have booked Pera Palace, as I think my father will enjoy it's grandeur, though I realize it is somewhat faded now.
I would like to get some restaurant recommendations, similar to those that I saw referred to in a trip report by parosblue. There was a reference to a recommendations by otherchelebi.
I am also asking for some advice on whether I should hire a private tour guide. I typically go to all the places myself when I travel with my son, as I tend to research them well in advance. But I am wondering if will be efficient for us to do one day with this private tour guide, to get to know the places and not worry about transportation -- or if it's just as good to hire a car with driver and tell him where to go (the latter must be much cheaper than the 300 EUR the tour guide is charging).
The places on my list (not having done my research yet) are Topkapı Sarayı, Galata Dervish House, Spice Bazaar, Rüstem Paşa Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Bosporus Boat Tour. I am also trying to find some good and fun night clubs to take my father. Personally, I like the small alleys and neighborhoods, authentic restaurants, and historical sites, especially those that highlight how the Turkish culture has evolved.
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the above. Many thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 해외카지노〉˛Å¸〈NOLZA007.ＣℴM〉˛Å¸〈페가수스카지노
- 2 럭스카지노〉˛Å¸〈NOLZA007.ＣℴM〉˛Å¸〈스타일카지노
- 3 Best of Norway
- 4 Need suggestions for great restaurants in Gstaad and the Bernese Oberland
- 5 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 6 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 7 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 8 Train up the Jungfrau
- 9 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 10 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 11 Charming areas to explore in London
- 12 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 13 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 14 London Itinerary - 4.5 days
- 15 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 16 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 17 Lovely Luxembourg!
- 18 to get to the Rijks Museum from Schiphol - bus or train
- 19 Istria and northern Croatia OR Calabria and Sicily
- 20 Barcelona plus Montserrat plus Costa Brava plus San Sebastian in 9 days?
- 21 Best GBP 250 Per Night London Hotel
- 22 Prague End of May
- 23 Scandinavia itinerary (with St. Petersburg) review please
- 24 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 25 Self Drive French Canal Barge
Istanbul in May- Need Itinerary and Restaurant recommendations Please!