At the end of September/beginning of October, my husband and I are planning to stay in Ischia for three nights (part of a ten-night trip in Italy) and are interested specifically in Ischia Ponte, either at an apartment via airbnb or Hotel Europa. (Why Ponte? Well. Um. It looks so lovely in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Ha! Is that reason enough? If not, feel free to slap me and the thoughts of a glistening Jude Law out of my brain.)
We are interested in enjoying the scenery and views, perhaps stopping by at one of the thermal spas. A casual stroll/hike here or there. Beaches are pretty but we aren't beach bunnies--that one thermal cliffside beach spot sounds worth a trip, though. Eating. Drinking. Variety is nice, but not necessary. We'd be happy drinking negronis (mmmmmm) at the same bar each afternoon. A bar with an ocean view? Even better!
We're laid back, casual folks. We don't care about shopping and fine dining (unless it's phenomenal--we DO love food, after all). Authentic casual and/or local street food is our jam. We generally like fresh, simple meals, and well-crafted cocktails and wine. Oh, and coffee.
In your humble opinions, is Ischia Ponte a good spot for us? If so, can you point out a couple of good bars and dining spots?
I should add that we also considered Amani (on the Amalfi Coast). Would that be better suited to our needs? There's a small apartment available there that is a great deal.
Note* It's my first time in Italy--first time in Europe, in fact! My husband spent a week in Sardinia several years ago and LOVED it.
Note** We will be in Naples the following two nights, and will be seeing Pompeii during that portion of the trip. So that's not a day trip we're concerned about while staying on Ischia (or Amalfi?)
Ischia: To Ponte, or not to Ponte?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transport advise- Rome - Florence - Berlin - Copenhagen
- 2 5 Night Suggested Itinerary - South Iceland/Reykjavik
- 3 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 4 Stay away from EF Tours
- 5 Folegandros info?
- 6 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 7 Dress Code for the Vatican
- 8 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 9 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 10 Scotland - 1 week itinerary
- 11 Cell Phones in France & Spain
- 12 One Town on the Amalfi Coast
- 13 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 14 Help with Central/ Eastern Europe
- 15 Greek Itinerary advice needed, please.
- 16 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 17 I went to Paris in June
- 18 Student Visas/Schengen Zone
- 19 Bike touring in France
- 20 Spain Trip Ideas -Critique Welcome
- 21 Does this sound feasible?
- 22 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 23 Madrid and London
- 24 One week SW England for a group with diverse interests
- 25 Spain- Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park