At the end of September/beginning of October, my husband and I are planning to stay in Ischia for three nights (part of a ten-night trip in Italy) and are interested specifically in Ischia Ponte, either at an apartment via airbnb or Hotel Europa. (Why Ponte? Well. Um. It looks so lovely in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Ha! Is that reason enough? If not, feel free to slap me and the thoughts of a glistening Jude Law out of my brain.)
We are interested in enjoying the scenery and views, perhaps stopping by at one of the thermal spas. A casual stroll/hike here or there. Beaches are pretty but we aren't beach bunnies--that one thermal cliffside beach spot sounds worth a trip, though. Eating. Drinking. Variety is nice, but not necessary. We'd be happy drinking negronis (mmmmmm) at the same bar each afternoon. A bar with an ocean view? Even better!
We're laid back, casual folks. We don't care about shopping and fine dining (unless it's phenomenal--we DO love food, after all). Authentic casual and/or local street food is our jam. We generally like fresh, simple meals, and well-crafted cocktails and wine. Oh, and coffee.
In your humble opinions, is Ischia Ponte a good spot for us? If so, can you point out a couple of good bars and dining spots?
I should add that we also considered Amani (on the Amalfi Coast). Would that be better suited to our needs? There's a small apartment available there that is a great deal.
Note* It's my first time in Italy--first time in Europe, in fact! My husband spent a week in Sardinia several years ago and LOVED it.
Note** We will be in Naples the following two nights, and will be seeing Pompeii during that portion of the trip. So that's not a day trip we're concerned about while staying on Ischia (or Amalfi?)
Ischia: To Ponte, or not to Ponte?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 2 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 3 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 4 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 5 Golfing in Ireland
- 6 Foie gras, redux
- 7 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 8 Short-stay apartment in Italy -- common practices?
- 9 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 10 Train to Airport in Venice
- 11 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 12 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 13 Livorno to Florence from cruise ship
- 14 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 15 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 16 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 17 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 18 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 19 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 20 Airport to Piraeus
- 21 Trieste and Koper
- 22 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 23 Paris 3 days and then to Burgundy for 2 weeks: Car?
- 24 Very early departure from Istanbul airport
- 25 What still confounds you about travel?