I have recently asked questions about places to stay in Positano. After countless research, and not being able to find anything not-overly-expensive-but-nice (which hasn't been booked out), I have accidently came across Ischia, and it seems to offer everything we are after!
Quick note - we are spending 3 weeks in Italy for our honeymoon, and this particular part of the trip is the relaxing, swim/sunbath part.
The choice of accommodation on Ischia is far better than such on Positano considering the prices, I have found nice hotels in different parts of the island, so I think the choice will be made based on the best location.
Here are my options at the moment:
Miramare (Ischia Porto) - lovely hotel, spa etc, location seem to be good. Although we could only afford a non-view room. Highly rated across travel websites
Aragona Palace (Ischia Porto) - also nice hotel with spa, pools etc, close proximity to cafes etc. We can take the more expensive Superior room with Harbour View.
Hotel Parco Smeraldo Terme (Barano d'Ischia) - amazing reviews, awesome spa/pools and a big plus - it's right by the beach. However I don't understand whether it's within walking distance of other places on the island.
So what's important to us:
- Proximity to the beach. Don't have to be right on the beach, but it needs to be within easy reach
- Good pools/spa
- Great food, restaurants within walking distance
- Ability to explore other things by foot. Don't mind taking buses, but not all the time.
I've gone through a number of Ischia topics on the forum, and saw there is a couple of people that live there/spend many years so hopefully they will be able to help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 2 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 3 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 4 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 5 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 6 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 7 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 8 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 9 Appenzell in December?
- 10 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 11 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 12 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 13 Iceland in January/February
- 14 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 15 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 16 Switzerland
- 17 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 18 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 19 WWI Battlefields
- 20 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 21 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 22 Visiting Zurich
- 23 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 24 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 25 Paris to Bordeaux