Hello all, I'm a 20 yo male from the US who's traveled to Romania and Bulgaria already and am currently considering another trip to Eastern Europe this Winter/Spring. Everything was shaping up well until I told my family I'll be crossing out of the EU and into Ukraine for a portion of the trip, more specifically Lviv/Ivano-Frankivsk and south. They became very concerned for my potential safety as soon as I mentioned the name. I immediately went to the US and UK travel advisories for Ukraine, but they don't seem to trust these and want to hear more personal/anecdotal evidence. Their primary concern seems to be the relationship between Ukraine and the US, and that should I be arrested/lost/ect that the government will be of absolutely no help, wheres in EU countries this would not be a problem. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice/experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
Is Western Ukraine a significantly more dangerous place than Romania?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 I dream of Europe
- 2 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 3 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 4 Rental car while in Ireland
- 5 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 6 Art in Paris
- 7 Too many Trip Reports
- 8 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 9 Great London Bars with a view
- 10 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 11 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 12 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 13 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 14 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 15 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 16 Reykjavik hotels
- 17 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 18 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 19 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 20 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 21 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 22 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 23 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 24 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 25 Help with England/Wales tour