Hello all, I'm a 20 yo male from the US who's traveled to Romania and Bulgaria already and am currently considering another trip to Eastern Europe this Winter/Spring. Everything was shaping up well until I told my family I'll be crossing out of the EU and into Ukraine for a portion of the trip, more specifically Lviv/Ivano-Frankivsk and south. They became very concerned for my potential safety as soon as I mentioned the name. I immediately went to the US and UK travel advisories for Ukraine, but they don't seem to trust these and want to hear more personal/anecdotal evidence. Their primary concern seems to be the relationship between Ukraine and the US, and that should I be arrested/lost/ect that the government will be of absolutely no help, wheres in EU countries this would not be a problem. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any advice/experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
Is Western Ukraine a significantly more dangerous place than Romania?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 20 days in Germany
- 2 Best luggage for a 7 week trip
- 3 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 4 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 5 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 6 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 7 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 8 Rome---August and September
- 9 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 10 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 11 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 12 Barcelona and/or ??? with another family
- 13 Nice or Marseille??
- 14 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 15 Final segment: unsolicited advice for first time Portugal travellers
- 16 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 17 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 18 South of France November Trip Report
- 19 Dresden or Leipzig
- 20 Auto Rental, Frankfurt Airport
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 23 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 24 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 25 Do you want to participate to my TV report for French TV ?