Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 3 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 4 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 5 Paris Metro
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 10 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 11 A good book!!
- 12 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 13 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 14 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 15 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 16 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 17 If you had to choose one......
- 18 CDG airport and connection time
- 19 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 20 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 21 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 22 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 23 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 24 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 25 getting to CDG