Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 2 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 3 Florence airport costumes
- 4 Road trip from Milan Rome
- 5 A few last minute questions
- 6 Need suggestions on where to stay in Porto?
- 7 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 8 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 9 Gluten Free in Italy
- 10 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 11 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 12 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 13 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 14 restaurants and stores in Haut-de-Cagnes in late October?
- 15 Twelve Nights: Venice, Bologna & Paris (plus Ravenna)
- 16 Trip to Spain in the Fall
- 17 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 18 The Bridges of Wroclaw
- 19 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 20 Venice, Italy to Amalfi coast
- 21 Sentimental Journey
- 22 Stay in Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi?
- 23 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 24 Portugal trains
- 25 Ireland - Northern or Western