Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Munich
- 2 First time in France
- 3 What type of visa is right for me?
- 4 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 5 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 6 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 7 Visa for one Schengen Country, and traveling with EU spouse and children
- 8 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 9 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 10 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 11 Budapest Hotels
- 12 Salzburg or Regensberg
- 13 4 days in switzerland
- 14 A Week in Western Crete (with photos)
- 15 France and Barcelona : 2016 Trip Report
- 16 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 17 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 18 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 19 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 20 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 21 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 22 Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia - suggestions please.
- 23 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 24 Portugal itinerary help
- 25 First Time Solo Travel info