Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 2 Ballet Bolshoi
- 3 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 4 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 5 Le Marche, Italy
- 6 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 7 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 8 Itinerary Help - 5 weeks Spain and Portugal Cities
- 9 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 10 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 11 Scenic full day drive from Bacharach & return?
- 12 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 13 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm
- 14 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 15 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 16 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 17 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 18 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 19 Trains France/Switzerland
- 20 fear of driving in rome!
- 21 Italy trains question
- 22 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 23 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 24 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 25 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?