Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 2 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 3 Trip Ideas
- 4 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 5 Another tipping question: concierges
- 6 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 7 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 8 We're here!
- 9 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 10 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 11 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 12 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 13 Escargots in Paris
- 14 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 15 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 16 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 17 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 18 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 19 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 20 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 21 Paris: Where to find Steak Tartar and Escargot?
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 25 Interesting places to visit