Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 2 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 3 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 4 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 5 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 6 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 7 Globus Iberian Tour
- 8 Spain: train/rental car help
- 9 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 10 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 11 Budapest Card
- 12 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 13 UK in May and June
- 14 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 15 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 16 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 17 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 18 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 19 Bath/Cotswolds
- 20 Shorts in South of France?
- 21 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 22 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 23 base for Andalucia
- 24 Italy travel plan help
- 25 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni