Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.
We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip to Europe!
- 2 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 3 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 4 Which Heathrow Airport Car Service Would You Use?
- 5 A Short Holiday Kiev and Chernobyl
- 6 visa appointment experience
- 7 Malta - 4 days before Cristmas
- 8 4 week trip Turkey
- 9 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 10 How to go from bergen train station to bergen airport?
- 11 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 12 Holiday in Austria
- 13 Paris Under Seige...
- 14 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 15 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 16 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 17 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 18 Rue des Rosiers
- 19 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 20 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 21 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 22 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 23 1&1/2 day 1 night in helsinki
- 24 Scotland Trip
- 25 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris