People travel for different reasons and personally, I simply like pretty-looking destinations (like Amsterdam) and of course, good-ambiance. I’ve haven’t been to Rotterdam. My understanding is that it wasn’t restored after World War II but rather got a futuristic-style makeover. Sometimes cities can look attractive like that, like Canada’s Toronto and even Germany’s Hamburg. However, most of the time, such cities just aren’t particularly attractive (at least for the casual stroller).
Long story short, for tourists like me who simply want to visit the Netherlands’ highlights, would you recommend Rotterdam or would you say that relatively large and economically important Rotterdam has a pleasant enough vibe but ultimately is nothing much of a ‘must-see’? On a side note, how long is the train ride from Rotterdam to Alkmaar? On that note, is Alkmaar around as attractive as Leiden and Delft (I really liked those 2 towns)?
Is Rotterdam a ‘Must’?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 2 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 3 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 4 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 5 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 6 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 7 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 8 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 9 Airport to Piraeus
- 10 Train to Airport in Venice
- 11 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 12 Paris Travelogue (One week in June with a toddler)
- 13 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 14 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 15 Questions for my German friends
- 16 What still confounds you about travel?
- 17 Chip but no PIN
- 18 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 19 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 20 Foie gras, redux
- 21 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 22 Dublin Tour Companies
- 23 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 24 Day trips from Seville
- 25 Oktoberfest reservations