We are planning a trip in September covering Cinque Terre with the Riviera Towns near Cinque Terre, Lake Como area with a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland), Milan with day trips to Verona, Lake Maggiore and St. Moritz (Switzerland).
We will arrive to Civitavecchia by a cruise ship early morning on September 10.
Since we’ve already traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Siena before and will visit Livorno (planning to take a trip to Pisa and Lucca) and Genoa from the cruise ship we will take a train from Civitavecchia to Monterosso al Mare with change of trains in La Spezia.
Here is my itinerary:
Sept.10. Arrive to Monterosso.
Sept.10- 15. Stay 5 nights in Monterosso. Hiking/taking train/boat between 5 villages, swimming, a day trip to Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino.
Sept. 15. Take a train to Milan, continue to the Lakes area (Varenna).
Sept.15-Sept 19. Stay 4 nights in Varenna exploring Lake Como area and take a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland).
Sept. 19. Take a train to Milan.
Sept. 19-Sept. 24. Stay 5 nights in Milan. Explore Milan (2 days) and take a day trip to Maggiore (Train to Stresa, boat to Isola Belle, Isola Superiore), tale a day trip to Verona, take a day tour to St. Moritz (Switzerland) by Viator.
Sept.24. Fly out of Milan International Airport (MXP).
I know this itinerary is not perfect since it is entirely based on the info I found on the Internet and Rick Steves “Italy” book (2016 edition).
I am looking forward to your feedback with suggestions on how to make it better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 2 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 3 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 4 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 5 Northern Spain Hotel Suggestion
- 6 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 7 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 8 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 9 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 10 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 11 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 12 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 15 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 16 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 17 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 18 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 19 Super Cover For Hertz
- 20 When to Visit Scotland
- 21 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 22 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 23 Amalfi Coast help
- 24 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 25 Sicily