We are planning a trip in September covering Cinque Terre with the Riviera Towns near Cinque Terre, Lake Como area with a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland), Milan with day trips to Verona, Lake Maggiore and St. Moritz (Switzerland).
We will arrive to Civitavecchia by a cruise ship early morning on September 10.
Since we’ve already traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Siena before and will visit Livorno (planning to take a trip to Pisa and Lucca) and Genoa from the cruise ship we will take a train from Civitavecchia to Monterosso al Mare with change of trains in La Spezia.
Here is my itinerary:
Sept.10. Arrive to Monterosso.
Sept.10- 15. Stay 5 nights in Monterosso. Hiking/taking train/boat between 5 villages, swimming, a day trip to Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino.
Sept. 15. Take a train to Milan, continue to the Lakes area (Varenna).
Sept.15-Sept 19. Stay 4 nights in Varenna exploring Lake Como area and take a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland).
Sept. 19. Take a train to Milan.
Sept. 19-Sept. 24. Stay 5 nights in Milan. Explore Milan (2 days) and take a day trip to Maggiore (Train to Stresa, boat to Isola Belle, Isola Superiore), tale a day trip to Verona, take a day tour to St. Moritz (Switzerland) by Viator.
Sept.24. Fly out of Milan International Airport (MXP).
I know this itinerary is not perfect since it is entirely based on the info I found on the Internet and Rick Steves “Italy” book (2016 edition).
I am looking forward to your feedback with suggestions on how to make it better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 2 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 3 Best Viking Sites
- 4 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 5 Greece
- 6 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 7 Madrid, Andalusia and possibly Tangiers
- 8 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 9 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 10 Paris advice with kids
- 11 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 tickets for Wimbledon
- 14 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 15 Chania
- 16 Iceland car rental agencies
- 17 Paris hotel
- 18 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 19 Schlipol Airport/Amsterdam/question
- 20 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 21 Ex-pats with young kids
- 22 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 23 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 24 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 25 Fly out Venice or Rome