We are planning a trip in September covering Cinque Terre with the Riviera Towns near Cinque Terre, Lake Como area with a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland), Milan with day trips to Verona, Lake Maggiore and St. Moritz (Switzerland).
We will arrive to Civitavecchia by a cruise ship early morning on September 10.
Since we’ve already traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Siena before and will visit Livorno (planning to take a trip to Pisa and Lucca) and Genoa from the cruise ship we will take a train from Civitavecchia to Monterosso al Mare with change of trains in La Spezia.
Here is my itinerary:
Sept.10. Arrive to Monterosso.
Sept.10- 15. Stay 5 nights in Monterosso. Hiking/taking train/boat between 5 villages, swimming, a day trip to Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino.
Sept. 15. Take a train to Milan, continue to the Lakes area (Varenna).
Sept.15-Sept 19. Stay 4 nights in Varenna exploring Lake Como area and take a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland).
Sept. 19. Take a train to Milan.
Sept. 19-Sept. 24. Stay 5 nights in Milan. Explore Milan (2 days) and take a day trip to Maggiore (Train to Stresa, boat to Isola Belle, Isola Superiore), tale a day trip to Verona, take a day tour to St. Moritz (Switzerland) by Viator.
Sept.24. Fly out of Milan International Airport (MXP).
I know this itinerary is not perfect since it is entirely based on the info I found on the Internet and Rick Steves “Italy” book (2016 edition).
I am looking forward to your feedback with suggestions on how to make it better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 2 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 5 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 6 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 7 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 8 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 9 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 10 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 11 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 12 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 13 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 14 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 17 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 18 We're here!
- 19 Acropolis Athens
- 20 Versailles
- 21 Where to enjoy Paris
- 22 Train help for Prague
- 23 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 24 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 25 Tours of Versailles, Lyon