My husband and I will be renting a car in Croatia from Avis at the Zagreb airport for 9 days. I have ready varying opinions about whether or not to use our MasterCard MasterRental Insurance or to just pony up and pay for the most comprehensive coverage available directly from the rental company. (Unfortunately we do not have an AMEX but will get one for future trips since their rental insurance seems to be top notch.)
Reading the fine print and speaking with MasterCard, it seems there are too many loopholes in coverage, and at the least, they clearly do not cover VAT, admin fees, and possibly loss of use fees, etc. (which could likely amount to the cost of super CDW). Although there is no deductible, the rental company already has your CC info and will likely charge your card for the cost of any damages while you wait for the claim to be resolved (rep said it could take up to 6 months!).
So now I am wondering if it is even worth it to use the Mastercard rental insurance rather than just paying for super CDW? Certainly, I'd love to save money and utilize my card benefit but which one truly provides peace of mind and the least hassle should anything actually happen?
I am curious about other travelers' recent experiences with having to use their MC or Visa rental insurance to file a claim, especially for rentals in Croatia.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 2 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 3 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 4 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 5 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 6 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 7 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 8 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 9 Germany train help!
- 10 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 11 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 12 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 13 Another tipping question: concierges
- 14 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 15 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 16 Interesting places to visit
- 17 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 18 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 21 Acropolis Athens
- 22 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 23 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 24 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 25 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?