My husband and I will be renting a car in Croatia from Avis at the Zagreb airport for 9 days. I have ready varying opinions about whether or not to use our MasterCard MasterRental Insurance or to just pony up and pay for the most comprehensive coverage available directly from the rental company. (Unfortunately we do not have an AMEX but will get one for future trips since their rental insurance seems to be top notch.)
Reading the fine print and speaking with MasterCard, it seems there are too many loopholes in coverage, and at the least, they clearly do not cover VAT, admin fees, and possibly loss of use fees, etc. (which could likely amount to the cost of super CDW). Although there is no deductible, the rental company already has your CC info and will likely charge your card for the cost of any damages while you wait for the claim to be resolved (rep said it could take up to 6 months!).
So now I am wondering if it is even worth it to use the Mastercard rental insurance rather than just paying for super CDW? Certainly, I'd love to save money and utilize my card benefit but which one truly provides peace of mind and the least hassle should anything actually happen?
I am curious about other travelers' recent experiences with having to use their MC or Visa rental insurance to file a claim, especially for rentals in Croatia.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 2 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 3 Ireland in April
- 4 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 5 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 6 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 7 Tour groups
- 8 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 9 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 10 So much to do, so little time!
- 11 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 12 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 13 Baby Milk
- 14 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 15 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 16 French restaurants
- 17 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 18 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 19 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 20 Driving in Italy?
- 21 Back from Bologna, trip report
- 22 Luggage Storage at Barcelona Port
- 23 Super Cover For Hertz
- 24 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 25 Amalfi coast hotel recs