My husband and I will be renting a car in Croatia from Avis at the Zagreb airport for 9 days. I have ready varying opinions about whether or not to use our MasterCard MasterRental Insurance or to just pony up and pay for the most comprehensive coverage available directly from the rental company. (Unfortunately we do not have an AMEX but will get one for future trips since their rental insurance seems to be top notch.)
Reading the fine print and speaking with MasterCard, it seems there are too many loopholes in coverage, and at the least, they clearly do not cover VAT, admin fees, and possibly loss of use fees, etc. (which could likely amount to the cost of super CDW). Although there is no deductible, the rental company already has your CC info and will likely charge your card for the cost of any damages while you wait for the claim to be resolved (rep said it could take up to 6 months!).
So now I am wondering if it is even worth it to use the Mastercard rental insurance rather than just paying for super CDW? Certainly, I'd love to save money and utilize my card benefit but which one truly provides peace of mind and the least hassle should anything actually happen?
I am curious about other travelers' recent experiences with having to use their MC or Visa rental insurance to file a claim, especially for rentals in Croatia.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to buy things outside of Munich
- 2 No Periods in British Written English!
- 3 Santorini lodging
- 4 Milan private guide
- 5 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 6 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 7 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 8 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 9 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 10 Italian lakes
- 11 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 12 Ronda Wine/biking
- 13 What do after Bernia Express?
- 14 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 15 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 16 Self drive tour companies
- 17 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 18 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 19 Ischia
- 20 9 days in London
- 21 Germany family road trip help!
- 22 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 25 Starting my Paris plan for May