My husband and I will be renting a car in Croatia from Avis at the Zagreb airport for 9 days. I have ready varying opinions about whether or not to use our MasterCard MasterRental Insurance or to just pony up and pay for the most comprehensive coverage available directly from the rental company. (Unfortunately we do not have an AMEX but will get one for future trips since their rental insurance seems to be top notch.)
Reading the fine print and speaking with MasterCard, it seems there are too many loopholes in coverage, and at the least, they clearly do not cover VAT, admin fees, and possibly loss of use fees, etc. (which could likely amount to the cost of super CDW). Although there is no deductible, the rental company already has your CC info and will likely charge your card for the cost of any damages while you wait for the claim to be resolved (rep said it could take up to 6 months!).
So now I am wondering if it is even worth it to use the Mastercard rental insurance rather than just paying for super CDW? Certainly, I'd love to save money and utilize my card benefit but which one truly provides peace of mind and the least hassle should anything actually happen?
I am curious about other travelers' recent experiences with having to use their MC or Visa rental insurance to file a claim, especially for rentals in Croatia.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NORTON Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 Security Remove Reedit
- 2 Trouble Getting from Tours to Orly
- 3 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 4 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 5 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 6 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 7 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 8 Berlin to ?
- 9 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 10 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 11 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 12 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 13 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 14 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 15 Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September
- 16 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 17 Trip Report – London, Devon and Somerset
- 18 Italy in January?
- 19 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 20 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 21 2 days in Lugano area
- 22 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 23 Half day in Côte d'Azur
- 24 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 25 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??