My husband and I will be renting a car in Croatia from Avis at the Zagreb airport for 9 days. I have ready varying opinions about whether or not to use our MasterCard MasterRental Insurance or to just pony up and pay for the most comprehensive coverage available directly from the rental company. (Unfortunately we do not have an AMEX but will get one for future trips since their rental insurance seems to be top notch.)
Reading the fine print and speaking with MasterCard, it seems there are too many loopholes in coverage, and at the least, they clearly do not cover VAT, admin fees, and possibly loss of use fees, etc. (which could likely amount to the cost of super CDW). Although there is no deductible, the rental company already has your CC info and will likely charge your card for the cost of any damages while you wait for the claim to be resolved (rep said it could take up to 6 months!).
So now I am wondering if it is even worth it to use the Mastercard rental insurance rather than just paying for super CDW? Certainly, I'd love to save money and utilize my card benefit but which one truly provides peace of mind and the least hassle should anything actually happen?
I am curious about other travelers' recent experiences with having to use their MC or Visa rental insurance to file a claim, especially for rentals in Croatia.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tattoos in Italy
- 2 App for restaurants/pubs in the the UK?
- 3 Greece itinerary - need advice!
- 4 travel around Spain
- 5 Charming areas to explore in London
- 6 Another Question re Scotland
- 7 Best GBP 250 Per Night London Hotel
- 8 Anniversary Trip to Ireland
- 9 2-4-1 / the best way to use this facility ...
- 10 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 11 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 12 Cinque Terre Area & Coastal Day Activities
- 13 Restaurants
- 14 Where to stay in Umbria
- 15 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 16 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 17 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 18 Confused on which train pass
- 19 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 20 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 21 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 22 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 23 Gap of Dunloe
- 24 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 25 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy