Wanted to get some feedback about our upcoming trip to Ireland in November. We are a family of 4 traveling from the US (2 adults, 2 teenage children). We are flying into and out of Dublin (tickets can not be modified). Our main goal for the trip is to experience the beauty and charm of Ireland, while acknowledging that we are only there for a few days and thus cannot see everything. We are aware that this time of year brings shorter days and cold/rainy weather, thus limiting some of our options.
Here is our planned itinerary. Can you please provide feedback if this is reasonable in terms of driving? Are we trying to do too much?
Day 1: arrive Dublin airport, take coach or train to Cork, pick up rental car, spend night in Cork
Day 2: drive to Dingle, explore area, spend night in Dingle
Day 3: drive from Dingle to Ashford Castle, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 4: Ashford Castle, explore area, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 5: drive to Dublin, drop off rental car, spend night in Dublin
Day 5: explore Dublin, spend night in Dublin
Day 6: depart Dublin airport
We would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but I am concerned that we will not have sufficient time. The only option I see is on Day 3. However, when I look at the map and calculate driving times, it seems a bit daunting. Would it be possible to drive from Dingle to the Cliffs of Moher to Ashford Castle in one day, given that there will only be about 8 hours of daylight?
On the afternoon of Day 1 or the morning of Day 2, we would like to go to either Kinsale or Blarney Castle. Would you recommend Kinsale over Blarney Castle? I have read conflicting opinions about Blarney Castle.
If you have other thoughts or suggestions about our itinerary, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 2 Zadar or Sibenik
- 3 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 4 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Train travel to and from Paris
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 8 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 9 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 10 Driving in Italy
- 11 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 12 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 13 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 14 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 15 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 16 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 17 Use of Train Tickets
- 18 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 19 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 20 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 21 First Trip to Paris
- 22 Andalucia Spain
- 23 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 24 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 25 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise