Wanted to get some feedback about our upcoming trip to Ireland in November. We are a family of 4 traveling from the US (2 adults, 2 teenage children). We are flying into and out of Dublin (tickets can not be modified). Our main goal for the trip is to experience the beauty and charm of Ireland, while acknowledging that we are only there for a few days and thus cannot see everything. We are aware that this time of year brings shorter days and cold/rainy weather, thus limiting some of our options.
Here is our planned itinerary. Can you please provide feedback if this is reasonable in terms of driving? Are we trying to do too much?
Day 1: arrive Dublin airport, take coach or train to Cork, pick up rental car, spend night in Cork
Day 2: drive to Dingle, explore area, spend night in Dingle
Day 3: drive from Dingle to Ashford Castle, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 4: Ashford Castle, explore area, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 5: drive to Dublin, drop off rental car, spend night in Dublin
Day 5: explore Dublin, spend night in Dublin
Day 6: depart Dublin airport
We would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but I am concerned that we will not have sufficient time. The only option I see is on Day 3. However, when I look at the map and calculate driving times, it seems a bit daunting. Would it be possible to drive from Dingle to the Cliffs of Moher to Ashford Castle in one day, given that there will only be about 8 hours of daylight?
On the afternoon of Day 1 or the morning of Day 2, we would like to go to either Kinsale or Blarney Castle. Would you recommend Kinsale over Blarney Castle? I have read conflicting opinions about Blarney Castle.
If you have other thoughts or suggestions about our itinerary, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 2 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 3 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 4 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 5 Copenhagen/Hamburg Trip Report September 2017
- 6 Rome or Venice first
- 7 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 8 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 9 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 10 celticmoon, a quick question
- 11 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 12 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 13 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 14 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 15 B&B in Ireland
- 16 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 17 Europe First Timers
- 18 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 19 Trains in Italy
- 20 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 21 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 22 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 23 Greek Village
- 24 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 25 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece