We are leaving for Ireland on October 5th and I can use some help fine tuning our itinerary. To help you answer my questions - my husband and I are in our late 30's, and are mainly interested in viewing the countryside, hiking trhough beautiful scenery (if anyone has specific hikes in Killarney or Connemara you'd recommend please do), experiencing the local culture, preferably in smaller towns. Oh and of course - the pubs and traditional Irish music are on the very top of our list! Here is what I have so far -
Day 1: Land in Dublin 8:45am, pick up rental car and head to Kilkenny with stops possible at Powersourt and/or Glendalough, stay in Kilkenny
Question - if we only have time tfor one stop should it be Glendolough? Is Powerscourt so close that it would be silly not to see that too? If we did stop at both is it realistic to think we would have enough daylight left to walk Kilkenny once settled into our hotel? Is Kilkenny castle a "must" if we are seeing other castles?
Day 2: Kilkenny to Rock of Cashel and Cahir to Kenmare, stay in Kenmare
Day 3: Kenmare – Sheep Farm and Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass, stay in Kenmare
Day 4: Kenmare to Dingle via Killarney - Hiking, Ross Castle
Question - is it too much to hike Killarney, view the castle (maybe do the carraige tour), and still make it to Dingle? I don't want to rush but also want to make sure we have ample time in Dingle since we have a couple days hiking in Connemara as well. We seem to prefer the idea of staying in Kenmare better, but would it make more sense just to stay in Killarney??
Day 5: Dingle Peninsula
Day 6: Dingle to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin
Question - I am seriously considering taking out Doolin as a place to stay...thoughts? If we don't stay in Doolin is it too much to drive from Dingle to Connemara, seeing as though we are stoping to see COM? I am thinking probably...anywhere else we could stay and see additional sights close by? We don't have interest in Aran Islands or the Burren, nor do I feel we have enough time to explore Galway.
Day 7: Doolin (or wherever) to Connemara
Day 8: Connemara
Day 9: Connemara to Dublin
Day 10: Dublin
Day 11: Depart from Dublin
Any other suggestions or changes you would make??? Thanks in advance!
Ireland Itinerary advice - 10 day trip
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 Novels set in Greece
- 3 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 4 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 7 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 8 Planning a holiday
- 9 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 10 Tire, Turkey - Tuesday Market
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 13 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 14 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 15 15 days in Europe,
- 16 Medieval Tallinn
- 17 Euro Train
- 18 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 19 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 20 Need help planning a trip for 2 18 year old girls
- 21 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 22 Milan to Venice on Trenitalia for as little as 9 Euros
- 23 Spain - Andalucia
- 24 planning a trip to barcelona first week of Jan
- 25 After Helsinki, where to next?