We are leaving for Ireland on October 5th and I can use some help fine tuning our itinerary. To help you answer my questions - my husband and I are in our late 30's, and are mainly interested in viewing the countryside, hiking trhough beautiful scenery (if anyone has specific hikes in Killarney or Connemara you'd recommend please do), experiencing the local culture, preferably in smaller towns. Oh and of course - the pubs and traditional Irish music are on the very top of our list! Here is what I have so far -
Day 1: Land in Dublin 8:45am, pick up rental car and head to Kilkenny with stops possible at Powersourt and/or Glendalough, stay in Kilkenny
Question - if we only have time tfor one stop should it be Glendolough? Is Powerscourt so close that it would be silly not to see that too? If we did stop at both is it realistic to think we would have enough daylight left to walk Kilkenny once settled into our hotel? Is Kilkenny castle a "must" if we are seeing other castles?
Day 2: Kilkenny to Rock of Cashel and Cahir to Kenmare, stay in Kenmare
Day 3: Kenmare – Sheep Farm and Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass, stay in Kenmare
Day 4: Kenmare to Dingle via Killarney - Hiking, Ross Castle
Question - is it too much to hike Killarney, view the castle (maybe do the carraige tour), and still make it to Dingle? I don't want to rush but also want to make sure we have ample time in Dingle since we have a couple days hiking in Connemara as well. We seem to prefer the idea of staying in Kenmare better, but would it make more sense just to stay in Killarney??
Day 5: Dingle Peninsula
Day 6: Dingle to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin
Question - I am seriously considering taking out Doolin as a place to stay...thoughts? If we don't stay in Doolin is it too much to drive from Dingle to Connemara, seeing as though we are stoping to see COM? I am thinking probably...anywhere else we could stay and see additional sights close by? We don't have interest in Aran Islands or the Burren, nor do I feel we have enough time to explore Galway.
Day 7: Doolin (or wherever) to Connemara
Day 8: Connemara
Day 9: Connemara to Dublin
Day 10: Dublin
Day 11: Depart from Dublin
Any other suggestions or changes you would make??? Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 2 travel around Spain
- 3 Another Question re Scotland
- 4 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 5 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 6 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 7 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 8 credit and debit cards
- 9 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 10 Where to stay in Umbria
- 11 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 12 2 weeks from southern italy
- 13 Mosel & Ahr wine tasting visit for 4 nights
- 14 ENGLAND-SCTOLAND-FRANCE-need help travelling solo
- 15 First Trip to Ireland
- 16 Dalmation coast in October?
- 17 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 18 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 19 Confused on which train pass
- 20 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 21 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 22 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 23 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 24 Best of Norway
- 25 Bus Strike