We are leaving for Ireland on October 5th and I can use some help fine tuning our itinerary. To help you answer my questions - my husband and I are in our late 30's, and are mainly interested in viewing the countryside, hiking trhough beautiful scenery (if anyone has specific hikes in Killarney or Connemara you'd recommend please do), experiencing the local culture, preferably in smaller towns. Oh and of course - the pubs and traditional Irish music are on the very top of our list! Here is what I have so far -
Day 1: Land in Dublin 8:45am, pick up rental car and head to Kilkenny with stops possible at Powersourt and/or Glendalough, stay in Kilkenny
Question - if we only have time tfor one stop should it be Glendolough? Is Powerscourt so close that it would be silly not to see that too? If we did stop at both is it realistic to think we would have enough daylight left to walk Kilkenny once settled into our hotel? Is Kilkenny castle a "must" if we are seeing other castles?
Day 2: Kilkenny to Rock of Cashel and Cahir to Kenmare, stay in Kenmare
Day 3: Kenmare – Sheep Farm and Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass, stay in Kenmare
Day 4: Kenmare to Dingle via Killarney - Hiking, Ross Castle
Question - is it too much to hike Killarney, view the castle (maybe do the carraige tour), and still make it to Dingle? I don't want to rush but also want to make sure we have ample time in Dingle since we have a couple days hiking in Connemara as well. We seem to prefer the idea of staying in Kenmare better, but would it make more sense just to stay in Killarney??
Day 5: Dingle Peninsula
Day 6: Dingle to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin
Question - I am seriously considering taking out Doolin as a place to stay...thoughts? If we don't stay in Doolin is it too much to drive from Dingle to Connemara, seeing as though we are stoping to see COM? I am thinking probably...anywhere else we could stay and see additional sights close by? We don't have interest in Aran Islands or the Burren, nor do I feel we have enough time to explore Galway.
Day 7: Doolin (or wherever) to Connemara
Day 8: Connemara
Day 9: Connemara to Dublin
Day 10: Dublin
Day 11: Depart from Dublin
Any other suggestions or changes you would make??? Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 2 London's Must Sights!
- 3 10 days Ireland June 30-July 11th, 2017
- 4 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 5 Apartment Review - Amsterdam
- 6 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 7 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 8 First trip to Italy
- 9 England and Wales by public transport
- 10 Vienna or Budapest?
- 11 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 12 Ireland & Scotland
- 13 Scenic Driving Routes
- 14 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 15 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 16 Andalucia in December
- 17 Hotels in Dubruvnick
- 18 Budapest Hotels
- 19 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 20 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 21 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 22 Poland & Ukraine Summer 2017
- 23 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 24 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 25 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please