Just wanted to warn people about a scam to steal your cell phone. I was very prepared for this trip to Paris; I had spare money and 1 debit card in my front pocket closed with safety pins, I have a really safe purse with multiple inside zippers, etc. However I didn't really consider my phone would be stolen so I wanted to give a warning. My daughter and I were on the second level of a Starbucks in Paris. We both had our iPhones out looking at our Google maps. Everyone else also had out their phones, laptops, etc as there is free wifi. Two men came running up the stairs, shoved papers in our faces and were yelling at us in french. We assumed they were begging and we kept saying "no" repeatedly but they wouldn't leave and they blocked us in. We now know this was just a distraction so they could reach under the paper and steal our phone. I also now realize we should've stayed on the first floor where the Starbucks employees are. There were no employees on the 2nd level.
Just wanted to warn you to keep your phone in your hands or purse at all times. We had our phones on the table and they startled us by running up to us and shouting at us.
iPhone stolen in Paris
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stay away from EF Tours
- 2 Dordogne in October
- 3 BMW European Delivery program
- 4 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 5 Paris first then where?
- 6 Need help in finalizing Switzerland travel dates
- 7 Does this sound feasible?
- 8 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 9 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 10 :"Europe's Masterworks Vs. the Masses"
- 11 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 12 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 13 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 14 Can Kindle books be read on an iPad?
- 15 One night over night parking Paris 75018
- 16 Eating in University cafeterias
- 17 A Trip Report in Pictures - Ireland, E to W, S to N
- 18 bringing back some bits from Italy. What's allowed?
- 19 Visiting Pompeii Via Train From Naples To Sorrento
- 20 I went to Paris in June
- 21 Renting a car from Rome to tuscany to venice
- 22 Europe road trip with kids - thoughts please!
- 23 Sicily 4-6 weeks
- 24 Questions on Cork and Another Irish Town Suggestion!
- 25 What is the fastest and best way to travel across Europe