Just wanted to warn people about a scam to steal your cell phone. I was very prepared for this trip to Paris; I had spare money and 1 debit card in my front pocket closed with safety pins, I have a really safe purse with multiple inside zippers, etc. However I didn't really consider my phone would be stolen so I wanted to give a warning. My daughter and I were on the second level of a Starbucks in Paris. We both had our iPhones out looking at our Google maps. Everyone else also had out their phones, laptops, etc as there is free wifi. Two men came running up the stairs, shoved papers in our faces and were yelling at us in french. We assumed they were begging and we kept saying "no" repeatedly but they wouldn't leave and they blocked us in. We now know this was just a distraction so they could reach under the paper and steal our phone. I also now realize we should've stayed on the first floor where the Starbucks employees are. There were no employees on the 2nd level.
Just wanted to warn you to keep your phone in your hands or purse at all times. We had our phones on the table and they startled us by running up to us and shouting at us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charles de Gaulle airport: Speediest arrival and departure ever!
- 2 London Travelcard vs oyster card
- 3 Car rental leaving Rome
- 4 Help needed for itinerary planning: Iceland
- 5 Safe to Travel?
- 6 Ideas for Month in Germany
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 9 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 10 Boots for Christmastime in Germany?
- 11 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 12 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 13 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 14 Airfare from Boston to Rome
- 15 Recommendations for a Drive through Chianti
- 16 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 17 Hotel in Tenerife, Canary Islands
- 18 Why Not Helsinki?
- 19 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 20 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 21 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 22 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 23 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 24 8 days in Vienna in December
- 25 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way