Just wanted to warn people about a scam to steal your cell phone. I was very prepared for this trip to Paris; I had spare money and 1 debit card in my front pocket closed with safety pins, I have a really safe purse with multiple inside zippers, etc. However I didn't really consider my phone would be stolen so I wanted to give a warning. My daughter and I were on the second level of a Starbucks in Paris. We both had our iPhones out looking at our Google maps. Everyone else also had out their phones, laptops, etc as there is free wifi. Two men came running up the stairs, shoved papers in our faces and were yelling at us in french. We assumed they were begging and we kept saying "no" repeatedly but they wouldn't leave and they blocked us in. We now know this was just a distraction so they could reach under the paper and steal our phone. I also now realize we should've stayed on the first floor where the Starbucks employees are. There were no employees on the 2nd level.
Just wanted to warn you to keep your phone in your hands or purse at all times. We had our phones on the table and they startled us by running up to us and shouting at us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netflix and Hulu
- 2 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 3 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 4 Amalfi October 16-25
- 5 Anyone used the new airline La Compagnie
- 6 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 7 11 Days - Ljubljana, Croatia, Sarajevo
- 8 Winter Western Europe Tour
- 9 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 10 Germany in 7 days
- 11 Paris hotels
- 12 Portugal itinerary without a car - suggestions appreciated!
- 13 Norway and Copenhagen - 13 days
- 14 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 15 Aldeburgh to London-where to drop off rental car and pick up train?
- 16 Florence with 11 & 13 year old
- 17 Naples
- 18 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 19 Restaurant Recommendations in Rome
- 20 Como or Bellagio
- 21 Traveling to Nice, seeking someone to join.
- 22 Milan airport to Duomo area by train?
- 23 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 24 French open 2017
- 25 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.