Just wanted to warn people about a scam to steal your cell phone. I was very prepared for this trip to Paris; I had spare money and 1 debit card in my front pocket closed with safety pins, I have a really safe purse with multiple inside zippers, etc. However I didn't really consider my phone would be stolen so I wanted to give a warning. My daughter and I were on the second level of a Starbucks in Paris. We both had our iPhones out looking at our Google maps. Everyone else also had out their phones, laptops, etc as there is free wifi. Two men came running up the stairs, shoved papers in our faces and were yelling at us in french. We assumed they were begging and we kept saying "no" repeatedly but they wouldn't leave and they blocked us in. We now know this was just a distraction so they could reach under the paper and steal our phone. I also now realize we should've stayed on the first floor where the Starbucks employees are. There were no employees on the 2nd level.
Just wanted to warn you to keep your phone in your hands or purse at all times. We had our phones on the table and they startled us by running up to us and shouting at us.
iPhone stolen in Paris
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 2 Story of the German Christmas star
- 3 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 4 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 5 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 6 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 7 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 8 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 9 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 10 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 11 Italy dolomites
- 12 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 13 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 14 Scuol, Switzerland
- 15 Airport ATMs
- 16 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 17 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 18 5 Observations About Paris
- 19 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 20 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 21 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 22 Switzerland help...?
- 23 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 24 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 25 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??