Just wanted to warn people about a scam to steal your cell phone. I was very prepared for this trip to Paris; I had spare money and 1 debit card in my front pocket closed with safety pins, I have a really safe purse with multiple inside zippers, etc. However I didn't really consider my phone would be stolen so I wanted to give a warning. My daughter and I were on the second level of a Starbucks in Paris. We both had our iPhones out looking at our Google maps. Everyone else also had out their phones, laptops, etc as there is free wifi. Two men came running up the stairs, shoved papers in our faces and were yelling at us in french. We assumed they were begging and we kept saying "no" repeatedly but they wouldn't leave and they blocked us in. We now know this was just a distraction so they could reach under the paper and steal our phone. I also now realize we should've stayed on the first floor where the Starbucks employees are. There were no employees on the 2nd level.
Just wanted to warn you to keep your phone in your hands or purse at all times. We had our phones on the table and they startled us by running up to us and shouting at us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 2 Two days around Oban - help with itinerary
- 3 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 4 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 5 Avoid Europcar!
- 6 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 7 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 8 Scotland - We're Here!
- 9 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 10 Cinque Terre trip/trains
- 11 European Vacation 2017
- 12 3 weeks with Kids - Austria Itinerary help
- 13 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 14 Need help in completing trip details
- 15 Odd Question - freezer and microwave
- 16 Which area to stay in London
- 17 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 18 Madrid food advice needed
- 19 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 20 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 21 Split to Hvar
- 22 Paris for children
- 23 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 24 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 25 Villa Ephrussi Rothschild