I am planning my first trip to Europe this summer, and would appreciate any help or advice you may have. I will be in Ireland for a couple weeks with family, and would begin this part of the trip on August 18th. I put September 27th as my return date, but that is actually flexible - I could stay a week longer, if budget permitted (initially assumed $6000-7000, after airline tickets).
I'm mostly interested in architecture and history. I definitely want a chance to get outside of the big cities (especially around London and Paris).
What I have so far:
2 days in Scotland
7 days in London (and surrounding areas - York, Salisbury, Canterbury, ?)
6 days in Paris (and surrounding areas)
2 days in Belgium (Bruges and Ghent)
3 days in Amsterdam (day trip to Haarlem)
3 days in Berlin
2 days in Prague
3 days in Munich
2 days in Switzerland (really want to see the Alps, I've read Kandersteg or Jungfraujoch are good places - of course, open to suggestions!)
2 days in Milan
2 days in Florence
5 days in Rome
I'm worried the 2nd half is a little too busy, but please let me know if it seems okay. From what I've seen, because of the way I've mapped things out, rail/short flights shouldn't take up too much time (travel as late in the evening as possible?). That being said, I could drop Prague and/or one of the German cities to ease things up.
... Or, as I mentioned, extend things out. The return date is flexible, and could go another week. If that meant adding a bit more to the budget, so be it.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Please let me know if there are any details I am missing that would help you help me!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 2 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 3 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 4 Things to do in Brussels
- 5 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 6 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 7 Short Trip in July
- 8 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 9 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 10 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 11 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 12 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 13 Naxos car rental
- 14 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 15 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 16 K-Day
- 17 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 18 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 19 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 20 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 21 Greek Islands (small)
- 22 Campervan in Croatia
- 23 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 24 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 25 Sim card/Amsterdam