I am planning my first trip to Europe this summer, and would appreciate any help or advice you may have. I will be in Ireland for a couple weeks with family, and would begin this part of the trip on August 18th. I put September 27th as my return date, but that is actually flexible - I could stay a week longer, if budget permitted (initially assumed $6000-7000, after airline tickets).
I'm mostly interested in architecture and history. I definitely want a chance to get outside of the big cities (especially around London and Paris).
What I have so far:
2 days in Scotland
7 days in London (and surrounding areas - York, Salisbury, Canterbury, ?)
6 days in Paris (and surrounding areas)
2 days in Belgium (Bruges and Ghent)
3 days in Amsterdam (day trip to Haarlem)
3 days in Berlin
2 days in Prague
3 days in Munich
2 days in Switzerland (really want to see the Alps, I've read Kandersteg or Jungfraujoch are good places - of course, open to suggestions!)
2 days in Milan
2 days in Florence
5 days in Rome
I'm worried the 2nd half is a little too busy, but please let me know if it seems okay. From what I've seen, because of the way I've mapped things out, rail/short flights shouldn't take up too much time (travel as late in the evening as possible?). That being said, I could drop Prague and/or one of the German cities to ease things up.
... Or, as I mentioned, extend things out. The return date is flexible, and could go another week. If that meant adding a bit more to the budget, so be it.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Please let me know if there are any details I am missing that would help you help me!
Intinerary for a Central/East Europe Trip
- 1 Paris Recommendations
- 2 Find ER, hospital, or clinic in Latin quarter, Paris
- 3 Hotel problems in Barcelona Gothic Quarter - Must Read
- 4 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 5 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 6 10 days in Barcelona - itinerary ideas?
- 7 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 8 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 9 Paris in 8 days ALONE
- 10 day trips from Stuttgart
- 11 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 12 8-10 Night Italy Itinerary Please Help!
- 13 Where to eat and visit in Barcelona + Venice June 2013
- 14 Retirement Vacation
- 15 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 16 Amalfi, Italy hostel - recommendation for college aged traveler?
- 17 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 18 Croatia Question: Korcula or Lastovo?
- 19 Daytrips to the Alps from Munich
- 20 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 21 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 22 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 23 Ordering wine in Paris
- 24 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 25 Ennis or Shannon for last night before flying out of Shannon Airport?