I am planning my first trip to Europe this summer, and would appreciate any help or advice you may have. I will be in Ireland for a couple weeks with family, and would begin this part of the trip on August 18th. I put September 27th as my return date, but that is actually flexible - I could stay a week longer, if budget permitted (initially assumed $6000-7000, after airline tickets).
I'm mostly interested in architecture and history. I definitely want a chance to get outside of the big cities (especially around London and Paris).
What I have so far:
2 days in Scotland
7 days in London (and surrounding areas - York, Salisbury, Canterbury, ?)
6 days in Paris (and surrounding areas)
2 days in Belgium (Bruges and Ghent)
3 days in Amsterdam (day trip to Haarlem)
3 days in Berlin
2 days in Prague
3 days in Munich
2 days in Switzerland (really want to see the Alps, I've read Kandersteg or Jungfraujoch are good places - of course, open to suggestions!)
2 days in Milan
2 days in Florence
5 days in Rome
I'm worried the 2nd half is a little too busy, but please let me know if it seems okay. From what I've seen, because of the way I've mapped things out, rail/short flights shouldn't take up too much time (travel as late in the evening as possible?). That being said, I could drop Prague and/or one of the German cities to ease things up.
... Or, as I mentioned, extend things out. The return date is flexible, and could go another week. If that meant adding a bit more to the budget, so be it.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Please let me know if there are any details I am missing that would help you help me!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 2 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 3 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 4 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 5 Charming areas to explore in London
- 6 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 7 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 8 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 9 I may be wrong....
- 10 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 11 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 12 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 13 Cornwall UK
- 14 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 15 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 16 Hydra, Greece
- 17 travel around Spain
- 18 credit and debit cards
- 19 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 20 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 21 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 22 8 Hours in Rome
- 23 Golf Partner in Istanbul
- 24 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 25 Cash machines ATM