Our family is planning a 2 week trip to southern Germany starting on or about 12/15 and returning to the US on or about 1/2/16. DH and I will be there for the entire trip, our son will join us on Christmas Eve for the last week only due to his vacation limitations at work. So, a key criteria for our trip is to be near an airport city, probably Munich on the 24th to pick him up.
Cities we want to visit or include in the itinerary:
Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Nuremburg, Munich, Black Forest (Freiburg??), Baden Baden.
First part of the trip without our son should focus on the Christmas Markets; second half with him on scenery (Neuschwanstein, Fussen, black forest), relaxation (Baden Baden) and some fun for new years eve.
We've been to Germany before but in the summer; DH worked there for a few years commuting back to the US and has spent weekends in Rothenburg and Nuremburg at the markets and wants to return.
Driving is fine; I'd like to limit the number of hotel or apartment changes; it is also necessary I think to be in a major city like Munich the 24-26th of December to have some restaurants available.
While this is early, we want to book the flights no later than late February. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 retruning to US with souveniers
- 2 Is there a forum just for Paris?
- 3 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 4 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 5 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 6 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 7 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 8 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 9 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 10 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 11 Ireland and Scotland September 2017
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 14 Help on ancient history route
- 15 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 16 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 17 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 18 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 19 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 20 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 23 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 24 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 25 Hotels in Turin
Input needed - southern germany itinerary for Christmas 2015