Our family is planning a 2 week trip to southern Germany starting on or about 12/15 and returning to the US on or about 1/2/16. DH and I will be there for the entire trip, our son will join us on Christmas Eve for the last week only due to his vacation limitations at work. So, a key criteria for our trip is to be near an airport city, probably Munich on the 24th to pick him up.
Cities we want to visit or include in the itinerary:
Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Nuremburg, Munich, Black Forest (Freiburg??), Baden Baden.
First part of the trip without our son should focus on the Christmas Markets; second half with him on scenery (Neuschwanstein, Fussen, black forest), relaxation (Baden Baden) and some fun for new years eve.
We've been to Germany before but in the summer; DH worked there for a few years commuting back to the US and has spent weekends in Rothenburg and Nuremburg at the markets and wants to return.
Driving is fine; I'd like to limit the number of hotel or apartment changes; it is also necessary I think to be in a major city like Munich the 24-26th of December to have some restaurants available.
While this is early, we want to book the flights no later than late February. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 2 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 3 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 4 Swiss Travel Pass
- 5 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 6 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 7 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
- 8 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 9 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 10 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 11 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 12 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 13 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 14 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 15 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 16 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 17 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 20 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 21 We're here!
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 Versailles
- 24 Where to enjoy Paris
- 25 Train help for Prague
Input needed - southern germany itinerary for Christmas 2015