We are in the early stages of putting together a 14-16 day (12 -14 days on the ground) trip to Ireland for either May or September of 2016. My initial thought is to start and end in Dublin and stay south of a line from Dublin to Galway in the interest of time. We'll rent a car but are avid cyclists and will want to take a day or two in a couple of spots and cycle rather than drive.
Here's the first cut list of places to see and things to do. What I'm looking for is input from those who've toured Ireland on how long to stay in each place, is a hub/spoke plan better and are there sites I'm missing. We're both early 60's, well travelled and intrepid when it comes to exploring. We've been to Europe multiple times but this will be our first visit to the UK/Ireland. Budget will be around 180-200e/night for hotels outside of Dublin where we'll use hotel points.
The 'list": (in no particular order) Dublin, Trinity College, Book of Kells, Gaol, Pub Music Crawl, Galway, Cliffs of Mohr, Burren, Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Kilkenny, Killarny, Muckross House, Aran Islands, Rock of Cashel, Blarney and perhaps Waterford
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 2 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 3 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 6 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 7 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 8 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 9 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 10 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 13 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 14 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 15 Spanish Medical Providers
- 16 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 17 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Barcelona alternative
- 20 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 21 Road trip with our dog
- 22 Driving through Paris
- 23 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 24 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 25 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)