We are in the early stages of putting together a 14-16 day (12 -14 days on the ground) trip to Ireland for either May or September of 2016. My initial thought is to start and end in Dublin and stay south of a line from Dublin to Galway in the interest of time. We'll rent a car but are avid cyclists and will want to take a day or two in a couple of spots and cycle rather than drive.
Here's the first cut list of places to see and things to do. What I'm looking for is input from those who've toured Ireland on how long to stay in each place, is a hub/spoke plan better and are there sites I'm missing. We're both early 60's, well travelled and intrepid when it comes to exploring. We've been to Europe multiple times but this will be our first visit to the UK/Ireland. Budget will be around 180-200e/night for hotels outside of Dublin where we'll use hotel points.
The 'list": (in no particular order) Dublin, Trinity College, Book of Kells, Gaol, Pub Music Crawl, Galway, Cliffs of Mohr, Burren, Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Kilkenny, Killarny, Muckross House, Aran Islands, Rock of Cashel, Blarney and perhaps Waterford
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 2 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 3 Another tipping question: concierges
- 4 24 hours in Zurich
- 5 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 6 Summer Travel order
- 7 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 8 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 9 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 10 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 11 Trip suggestion
- 12 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 13 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 14 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 15 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 16 Spain in July
- 17 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 18 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 19 Dijon in December!
- 20 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 21 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 22 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 23 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 24 Krakow or Warsaw?
- 25 Island Hopping in the Cyclades