We're staying in Lisboa for 4 days in mid-March. Can anyone help me with a few simple questions?
1. We think we have the hotels narrowed down to the Olissipo Lapa & the Pestana. Both seem to exude old-world charm, although from our reading the Pestana may be somewhat better located. We will not be keeping a car so walking distance to attractions and public transportation is very important.
Can anyone render an opinion? We LOVE old-world hotels and would prefer not to stay in a more conventional facility if possible. The Britania (#1 on TA) seems lovely but it seems so much more modern (even though it's advertised as "art-deco").
Does anyone know how much of a hassle/time factor is involved in getting to and from the hotel from the airport? On our last night we are considering transferring to a hotel at the airport because of a very early-morning flight the next day. Should we bother changing hotels for this reason, and if so, what is a nice-ish hotel at the airport?
2. What kind of weather should we expect in mid-March? The weather underground seems to suggest mid-60's during the day, but not a lot of sunshine. Is this accurate?
3. Finally, I am reading mixed reviews of Lisboa itself. Some people seem to love the city but some have complained bitterly that it is dirty and filled with homeless and beggars.
Which is true? How can we maximize our stay there? We love to wander around on foot and explore shops and back alleys and stuff. Are there place/neighborhoods to avoid? Must see?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland Itinerary in 5 days early-June
- 2 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 3 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 4 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 5 We're here!
- 6 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 7 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 8 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 9 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 10 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 11 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 12 Info about Poland
- 13 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 14 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 15 Barcelona question
- 16 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 17 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 18 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 19 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 20 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 21 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 22 Interesting places to visit
- 23 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 24 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 25 Advice on Berlin hotels
In Lisbon, Portugal, Olissipo Lapa vs. Pestana and a few more q's please.