We're staying in Lisboa for 4 days in mid-March. Can anyone help me with a few simple questions?
1. We think we have the hotels narrowed down to the Olissipo Lapa & the Pestana. Both seem to exude old-world charm, although from our reading the Pestana may be somewhat better located. We will not be keeping a car so walking distance to attractions and public transportation is very important.
Can anyone render an opinion? We LOVE old-world hotels and would prefer not to stay in a more conventional facility if possible. The Britania (#1 on TA) seems lovely but it seems so much more modern (even though it's advertised as "art-deco").
Does anyone know how much of a hassle/time factor is involved in getting to and from the hotel from the airport? On our last night we are considering transferring to a hotel at the airport because of a very early-morning flight the next day. Should we bother changing hotels for this reason, and if so, what is a nice-ish hotel at the airport?
2. What kind of weather should we expect in mid-March? The weather underground seems to suggest mid-60's during the day, but not a lot of sunshine. Is this accurate?
3. Finally, I am reading mixed reviews of Lisboa itself. Some people seem to love the city but some have complained bitterly that it is dirty and filled with homeless and beggars.
Which is true? How can we maximize our stay there? We love to wander around on foot and explore shops and back alleys and stuff. Are there place/neighborhoods to avoid? Must see?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 3 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 4 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 5 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 6 B&B in Ireland
- 7 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 8 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 9 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 10 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 11 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 12 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 13 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 14 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 15 Alitala
- 16 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 17 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 18 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 19 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 20 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 21 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 22 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 23 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 24 Europe First Timers
- 25 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
In Lisbon, Portugal, Olissipo Lapa vs. Pestana and a few more q's please.