I just read that October 4 is the Feast of San Petronio, the patron saint of Bologna. So far the only information I can find about what that means, as a practical matter, is that it is sort of a "bank holiday" so banks and shops (some? all?) will be closed (it is a Thursday). We will be in Bologna that day, so I'm curious to find out. I assume there will be some sort of religious ceremony at the Basilica of San Petronio, but would like to know what if anything else will happen.
Are there any other special festive events, such as a street or food festival to mark the Feast Day? I've found nothing about it on the Bologna Welcome website. I googled it and found that there was a "Sfoglio D'oro" competition (a pasta-making competition) last year that was held around that time, but it was not on the actual feast day--it was 2 days before. From what I've found, it looks like the Sfoglio D'oro for 2012 is part of a Bologna wine and food event Oct 4-7 which could be fun--but I can't find any further info beyond the dates.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help ... bus from Cappadocia (Kayseri) to Antalya or Fethiye
- 2 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 3 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 4 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 5 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 6 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 7 Firt time VISA applicant
- 8 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 9 Murren to Prague
- 10 Rome Bus Routes - a list
- 11 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 12 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 13 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 14 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 15 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 16 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 17 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 18 Le Marche Research Help
- 19 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 20 Need Information about French Alps
- 21 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 22 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 23 France Itinerary Advice
- 24 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 25 lurento sports car rental - anyone?