I am determined to use my free airline passes so I am continuing with my research of the Balkans. In regard to Romania and Bulgaria, I have made much progress. However, a frustrating thing for me is that there is truly very little travel guides out there for Serbia and Montenegro. Sure, there is something, but there are only 2 resources I generally trust: Yahoo! Travel and Fodor’s. Lonely Planet and other sources generally try to sell you on everywhere whereas Fodor’s and especially Yahoo! Travel are blunt-whether giving a positive or negative assessment.
Based on some research I did, Serbia’s Province of Vojvodina somewhat sparks my interest. If you don’t already know from my numerous postings, sightseeing and architecture are my key interests (historic and impressive-looking towns with beautiful buildings all over the place). Of course I am interested in culture, but I never worry about encountering this in Europe because it is simply everywhere you turn!
Novi Sad and Sremski Karlovci are two towns that I have heard of. If anyone has been, please tell me if based on my interests, you think I would enjoy a visit to these 2 places. Moreover, if you think of any other towns, cities or villages that I might be interested in, then please let me know.
About tourism in Serbia and Montenegro, I gather that it is best for tourists to be accompanied by a guide of some sort. In other words, Serbia is dissimilar to Croatia and Slovenia in the sense that in Croatia and Slovenia, tourists just show up and roam around as they would anywhere in Western Europe. Do you think I have the right impression or am I way off? Anyways, I await your responses…
Oh, by the way, do you guys find the people over there to be friendly? Do they speak English?
Impressions of Serbia and Montenegro
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling in France by train
- 2 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 3 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 4 100 Great things to do in Paris
- 5 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 6 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 7 Sicily - not a trip report
- 8 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 9 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 10 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 11 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 12 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 13 Fashion for larger man?
- 14 car rental advice in Portugal
- 15 How much time to allow between flights at Athens airport?
- 16 Fjords, How To?
- 17 Athens-Paros-Santorini Trip Itinerary
- 18 Duoro river cruises
- 19 What to wear
- 20 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 21 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 22 Budget for 3 Month's
- 23 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 24 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 25 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary