I am determined to use my free airline passes so I am continuing with my research of the Balkans. In regard to Romania and Bulgaria, I have made much progress. However, a frustrating thing for me is that there is truly very little travel guides out there for Serbia and Montenegro. Sure, there is something, but there are only 2 resources I generally trust: Yahoo! Travel and Fodor’s. Lonely Planet and other sources generally try to sell you on everywhere whereas Fodor’s and especially Yahoo! Travel are blunt-whether giving a positive or negative assessment.
Based on some research I did, Serbia’s Province of Vojvodina somewhat sparks my interest. If you don’t already know from my numerous postings, sightseeing and architecture are my key interests (historic and impressive-looking towns with beautiful buildings all over the place). Of course I am interested in culture, but I never worry about encountering this in Europe because it is simply everywhere you turn!
Novi Sad and Sremski Karlovci are two towns that I have heard of. If anyone has been, please tell me if based on my interests, you think I would enjoy a visit to these 2 places. Moreover, if you think of any other towns, cities or villages that I might be interested in, then please let me know.
About tourism in Serbia and Montenegro, I gather that it is best for tourists to be accompanied by a guide of some sort. In other words, Serbia is dissimilar to Croatia and Slovenia in the sense that in Croatia and Slovenia, tourists just show up and roam around as they would anywhere in Western Europe. Do you think I have the right impression or am I way off? Anyways, I await your responses…
Oh, by the way, do you guys find the people over there to be friendly? Do they speak English?
Impressions of Serbia and Montenegro
- 1 Italy: Planning a honeymoon....HELP!!!!
- 2 Travel by train or bus
- 3 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 4 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 5 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 6 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 7 Traveling within Italy
- 8 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 9 To Paris and Provence in June
- 10 Family European winter holiday
- 11 Florence in October
- 12 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 13 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 14 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 15 London at Easter
- 16 Normandy in mid Sept?
- 17 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 18 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 19 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 20 Advises for trip to Russia
- 21 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 22 Paris to Colmar by Car...Best Route/Stops along the way?
- 23 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 24 Which travel plan?
- 25 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia