I am determined to use my free airline passes so I am continuing with my research of the Balkans. In regard to Romania and Bulgaria, I have made much progress. However, a frustrating thing for me is that there is truly very little travel guides out there for Serbia and Montenegro. Sure, there is something, but there are only 2 resources I generally trust: Yahoo! Travel and Fodor’s. Lonely Planet and other sources generally try to sell you on everywhere whereas Fodor’s and especially Yahoo! Travel are blunt-whether giving a positive or negative assessment.
Based on some research I did, Serbia’s Province of Vojvodina somewhat sparks my interest. If you don’t already know from my numerous postings, sightseeing and architecture are my key interests (historic and impressive-looking towns with beautiful buildings all over the place). Of course I am interested in culture, but I never worry about encountering this in Europe because it is simply everywhere you turn!
Novi Sad and Sremski Karlovci are two towns that I have heard of. If anyone has been, please tell me if based on my interests, you think I would enjoy a visit to these 2 places. Moreover, if you think of any other towns, cities or villages that I might be interested in, then please let me know.
About tourism in Serbia and Montenegro, I gather that it is best for tourists to be accompanied by a guide of some sort. In other words, Serbia is dissimilar to Croatia and Slovenia in the sense that in Croatia and Slovenia, tourists just show up and roam around as they would anywhere in Western Europe. Do you think I have the right impression or am I way off? Anyways, I await your responses…
Oh, by the way, do you guys find the people over there to be friendly? Do they speak English?
Impressions of Serbia and Montenegro
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS IN OXFORD
- 2 What are the best places to see in England
- 3 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 4 Suggestions for a nice hotel in Stockholm?
- 5 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 6 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 7 TGV from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon
- 8 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 9 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 10 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 11 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 12 Estonia Amber
- 13 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 14 Tight Planning?
- 15 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 16 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 17 Villa rental suggestions in Umbira or Positano please
- 18 Travel with Teens
- 19 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 20 Personal recommendations where to stay for family of 5 in Sorrento
- 21 One week in Venice - trips
- 22 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 23 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 24 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 25 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?