We are traveling to Italy later this month. I have read numerous threads about the advantages of debit cards, credit cards, ATMs, etc., all that can be used to make purchases and/or obtain Euros at ATMs. Is it necessary to purchase any traveler checks before leaving home and paying a 1-2% sales commssion just to exchange them for Euros immediately upon arrival at the airport in Italy? Why not take US dollars and ATM cards to purchase Euros? Comments please about the need for travel checks, thanks.
If I have ATM & credit cards & US dollars, do I need to purchase traveler checks before I travel?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 2 wk Europe Trip Advice
- 2 Greek islands from Turkey
- 3 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 4 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 5 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 6 Rome Accommodation
- 7 15 Day Europe Trip - Mix of rail and car.. Cost ineffective?
- 8 rent car / Munich
- 9 Advent weekend in Quedlinburg
- 10 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 11 Italian Lakes gardens
- 12 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 13 Walking shoes for London and Paris
- 14 Chambermaid tipping
- 15 TGV and Provence questions
- 16 Novels set in Greece
- 17 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 18 To Paris and Provence in June
- 19 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 20 Bavarian Honeymoon Suggestions
- 21 More help with housing in Puglia
- 22 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 23 Euro Train
- 24 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 25 Weekend in Lake Bled?