We are traveling to Italy later this month. I have read numerous threads about the advantages of debit cards, credit cards, ATMs, etc., all that can be used to make purchases and/or obtain Euros at ATMs. Is it necessary to purchase any traveler checks before leaving home and paying a 1-2% sales commssion just to exchange them for Euros immediately upon arrival at the airport in Italy? Why not take US dollars and ATM cards to purchase Euros? Comments please about the need for travel checks, thanks.
If I have ATM & credit cards & US dollars, do I need to purchase traveler checks before I travel?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A drive in Europe
- 2 Calling Jamikins
- 3 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 4 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 5 Eiffel Tower Replica - where to buy, or how to make?
- 6 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 7 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 8 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 9 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 10 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 11 Europe in 21 days
- 12 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 13 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 14 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 17 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 18 UK for 12 days !
- 19 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 20 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 21 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 22 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 23 London hotel
- 24 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 25 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace