I recently found out that I get to go to San Sebastian, Spain for a last minute work related trip. I only need to be in San Sebastian the first weekend of May, but I can extend my trip for 1-2 weeks either before or after for vacation. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Other places to visit? Activities? Travel tips for this area? etc.
I'm a 30-year-old single male, and I will be traveling alone. I enjoy "things to do" (e.g. camping, nightlife stuff, etc.) more than "things to see" (e.g. museums, churches, etc.). I'm fine with hostels and sleeping on trains. The last time I spoke Spanish was in high school (yikes!), but I can at least speak and read it with the aid of an English-Spanish dictionary. I've been to Europe once before, and visited Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Munich (for Oktoberfest which is amazing), and Madrid. I'm a researcher at a university, which you should read as, "I'm paid horribly, and I'm on a tight budget."
Here are three ideas I'm considering:
1) Surfing trip - Basically stay on the western coast of Europe visiting and surfing at as many locations as possible either starting in France or Portugal. I could either bring my board or rent one at various locations. I could camp or stay in hostels.
2) From San Sebastian, head towards Italy or Switzerland stopping in Barcelona for a bit along the way. As for what to do/see along the way, I'm open to suggestions.
3) Starting or ending in Amsterdam for tulip season and/or Liberation Day, while stopping at various places in France along the way. Again, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give me!
Ideas needed ASAP Last minute trip to or from NW Spain
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dresden or Leipzig
- 2 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 3 Best luggage for a 7 week trip
- 4 Olive oil disaster in 2014
- 5 20 days in Germany
- 6 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 7 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 8 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 9 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 10 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 11 Rome---August and September
- 12 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 13 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 14 Barcelona and/or ??? with another family
- 15 Nice or Marseille??
- 16 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 17 Final segment: unsolicited advice for first time Portugal travellers
- 18 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 19 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 20 South of France November Trip Report
- 21 Auto Rental, Frankfurt Airport
- 22 Trains in Italy
- 23 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 24 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 25 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?