I'm thinking about a 2 week family trip (me, hub and 9 year old son) to Iceland next summer. Yea, I'm planning way ahead, I know. I really really want to see puffins, so if you have any scoop on where we might see them, I'd love to hear it! Here is what I have so far. I'd appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!
Day 1 (Sunday)
- Arrive, get rent car, stay in Reykjavik for 3 nights.
Day 2 (Monday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik
Day 3 (Tuesday)
- Blue Lagoon
Day 4 (Wednesday)
- Drive Reykjavik to Akureyri, maybe detour to Hofsos for a few hours at the pool. Overnight in Akureyri for 1 night.
Day 5 (Thursday)
- Drive Akureyri to Lake Myvatn. Sight-see in Akureyri, turf house museum and Godafoss. Spend 3 nights in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 6 (Friday)
- Dimmuborgir, hike up Hverfell, Grjotagja, Hverir geothermal area.
Day 7 (Saturday)
- Myvatn nature baths, Dettifoss.
Day 8 (Sunday)
- Drive from Lake Myvatn to Borgarfjordur Eystri, look for puffins, then onto Egilsstadir and spend 2 nights there.
Day 9 (Monday)
- Day trip to Seydisfjordur from Egilsstadir.
Day 10 (Tuesday)
- Drive from Egilsstadir to Jokulsarlon and spend a few hours there. Drive to Vik and spend the night there.
Day 11 (Wednesday)
- Drive from Vik to Reykjavik. Along the way stop at Dyrholaey (puffins, maybe?), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss. If there's enough time, go to Gullfoss and Geysir en route to Reykjavik. Spend the next 3 nights in Reykjavik.
Day 12 (Thursday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik. Maybe a whale watching boat trip or Laugardalslaug thermal pool.
Day 13 (Friday)
- Day trip to Thingvellir (and Geysir and Gullfoss if we didn't see them on the way from Vik).
Day 14 (Saturday)
Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 2 First Time to UK since 2001
- 3 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 4 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 5 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 6 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 7 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 8 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 9 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 10 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 11 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 12 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 13 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 14 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 15 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 16 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 17 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 18 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 19 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 20 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 21 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 22 Paris, London, 49ers and Fodors GTG
- 23 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 24 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 25 Vacation Rental in Venice