I'm thinking about a 2 week family trip (me, hub and 9 year old son) to Iceland next summer. Yea, I'm planning way ahead, I know. I really really want to see puffins, so if you have any scoop on where we might see them, I'd love to hear it! Here is what I have so far. I'd appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!
Day 1 (Sunday)
- Arrive, get rent car, stay in Reykjavik for 3 nights.
Day 2 (Monday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik
Day 3 (Tuesday)
- Blue Lagoon
Day 4 (Wednesday)
- Drive Reykjavik to Akureyri, maybe detour to Hofsos for a few hours at the pool. Overnight in Akureyri for 1 night.
Day 5 (Thursday)
- Drive Akureyri to Lake Myvatn. Sight-see in Akureyri, turf house museum and Godafoss. Spend 3 nights in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 6 (Friday)
- Dimmuborgir, hike up Hverfell, Grjotagja, Hverir geothermal area.
Day 7 (Saturday)
- Myvatn nature baths, Dettifoss.
Day 8 (Sunday)
- Drive from Lake Myvatn to Borgarfjordur Eystri, look for puffins, then onto Egilsstadir and spend 2 nights there.
Day 9 (Monday)
- Day trip to Seydisfjordur from Egilsstadir.
Day 10 (Tuesday)
- Drive from Egilsstadir to Jokulsarlon and spend a few hours there. Drive to Vik and spend the night there.
Day 11 (Wednesday)
- Drive from Vik to Reykjavik. Along the way stop at Dyrholaey (puffins, maybe?), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss. If there's enough time, go to Gullfoss and Geysir en route to Reykjavik. Spend the next 3 nights in Reykjavik.
Day 12 (Thursday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik. Maybe a whale watching boat trip or Laugardalslaug thermal pool.
Day 13 (Friday)
- Day trip to Thingvellir (and Geysir and Gullfoss if we didn't see them on the way from Vik).
Day 14 (Saturday)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 2 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 3 Rome
- 4 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 5 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 6 Vienna or Budapest?
- 7 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 8 Puglia or La Langhe
- 9 Booking hotels before trains
- 10 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 11 Revised post- cruise itinerary
- 12 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 13 Visiting Spain in January
- 14 Italy/Greece with kids
- 15 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 16 Do Not Rent from SIXT car rentals
- 17 Paris---baguette question???
- 18 Munich
- 19 English Countryside
- 20 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 21 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 22 Need help in travel planning
- 23 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 24 French immersion courses in France
- 25 "Around Provence" - My Watercolors on Flickr