I'm thinking about a 2 week family trip (me, hub and 9 year old son) to Iceland next summer. Yea, I'm planning way ahead, I know. I really really want to see puffins, so if you have any scoop on where we might see them, I'd love to hear it! Here is what I have so far. I'd appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!
Day 1 (Sunday)
- Arrive, get rent car, stay in Reykjavik for 3 nights.
Day 2 (Monday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik
Day 3 (Tuesday)
- Blue Lagoon
Day 4 (Wednesday)
- Drive Reykjavik to Akureyri, maybe detour to Hofsos for a few hours at the pool. Overnight in Akureyri for 1 night.
Day 5 (Thursday)
- Drive Akureyri to Lake Myvatn. Sight-see in Akureyri, turf house museum and Godafoss. Spend 3 nights in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 6 (Friday)
- Dimmuborgir, hike up Hverfell, Grjotagja, Hverir geothermal area.
Day 7 (Saturday)
- Myvatn nature baths, Dettifoss.
Day 8 (Sunday)
- Drive from Lake Myvatn to Borgarfjordur Eystri, look for puffins, then onto Egilsstadir and spend 2 nights there.
Day 9 (Monday)
- Day trip to Seydisfjordur from Egilsstadir.
Day 10 (Tuesday)
- Drive from Egilsstadir to Jokulsarlon and spend a few hours there. Drive to Vik and spend the night there.
Day 11 (Wednesday)
- Drive from Vik to Reykjavik. Along the way stop at Dyrholaey (puffins, maybe?), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss. If there's enough time, go to Gullfoss and Geysir en route to Reykjavik. Spend the next 3 nights in Reykjavik.
Day 12 (Thursday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik. Maybe a whale watching boat trip or Laugardalslaug thermal pool.
Day 13 (Friday)
- Day trip to Thingvellir (and Geysir and Gullfoss if we didn't see them on the way from Vik).
Day 14 (Saturday)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Why Not Helsinki?
- 2 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 3 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 4 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 5 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 6 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 7 Best boutique shops for kids within walking distance of Notre Dame?
- 8 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 9 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 10 Honeymoon Help! September 2016
- 11 The dog cemetery of Asnières
- 12 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 13 Any special about stockholm (13th or 14th to go Stockholm)?
- 14 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 15 Glasgow and Edinburgh
- 16 Iceland Day 5
- 17 Holland/France/Spain
- 18 Scotland Trip
- 19 3 seniors to do Scotland
- 20 Montenegro in September
- 21 3 week stay in Scotland
- 22 Paris, France
- 23 Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?
- 24 sfo to europe
- 25 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments