I'm thinking about a 2 week family trip (me, hub and 9 year old son) to Iceland next summer. Yea, I'm planning way ahead, I know. I really really want to see puffins, so if you have any scoop on where we might see them, I'd love to hear it! Here is what I have so far. I'd appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!
Day 1 (Sunday)
- Arrive, get rent car, stay in Reykjavik for 3 nights.
Day 2 (Monday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik
Day 3 (Tuesday)
- Blue Lagoon
Day 4 (Wednesday)
- Drive Reykjavik to Akureyri, maybe detour to Hofsos for a few hours at the pool. Overnight in Akureyri for 1 night.
Day 5 (Thursday)
- Drive Akureyri to Lake Myvatn. Sight-see in Akureyri, turf house museum and Godafoss. Spend 3 nights in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 6 (Friday)
- Dimmuborgir, hike up Hverfell, Grjotagja, Hverir geothermal area.
Day 7 (Saturday)
- Myvatn nature baths, Dettifoss.
Day 8 (Sunday)
- Drive from Lake Myvatn to Borgarfjordur Eystri, look for puffins, then onto Egilsstadir and spend 2 nights there.
Day 9 (Monday)
- Day trip to Seydisfjordur from Egilsstadir.
Day 10 (Tuesday)
- Drive from Egilsstadir to Jokulsarlon and spend a few hours there. Drive to Vik and spend the night there.
Day 11 (Wednesday)
- Drive from Vik to Reykjavik. Along the way stop at Dyrholaey (puffins, maybe?), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss. If there's enough time, go to Gullfoss and Geysir en route to Reykjavik. Spend the next 3 nights in Reykjavik.
Day 12 (Thursday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik. Maybe a whale watching boat trip or Laugardalslaug thermal pool.
Day 13 (Friday)
- Day trip to Thingvellir (and Geysir and Gullfoss if we didn't see them on the way from Vik).
Day 14 (Saturday)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary check for Sicily, please!!
- 2 Wimbledon Debenture tickets
- 3 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 4 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 5 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 6 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 7 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 8 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 9 We're here!
- 10 10 days in Paris and......
- 11 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 12 Moving to Italy
- 13 Sardinia-too busy early/mid July??
- 14 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out
- 15 airports near Delphi or Kalabaka
- 16 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 17 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 18 Spain in July
- 19 Rick Steves Alternatives
- 20 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 21 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 22 Planning an independent tour of UK mid-2017
- 23 Purchase Train Ticket Madrid to Toledo Ahead?
- 24 Swiss Travel Pass
- 25 BritRail pass - 1st or 2nd class?