I'm thinking about a 2 week family trip (me, hub and 9 year old son) to Iceland next summer. Yea, I'm planning way ahead, I know. I really really want to see puffins, so if you have any scoop on where we might see them, I'd love to hear it! Here is what I have so far. I'd appreciate any advice or input. Thanks!
Day 1 (Sunday)
- Arrive, get rent car, stay in Reykjavik for 3 nights.
Day 2 (Monday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik
Day 3 (Tuesday)
- Blue Lagoon
Day 4 (Wednesday)
- Drive Reykjavik to Akureyri, maybe detour to Hofsos for a few hours at the pool. Overnight in Akureyri for 1 night.
Day 5 (Thursday)
- Drive Akureyri to Lake Myvatn. Sight-see in Akureyri, turf house museum and Godafoss. Spend 3 nights in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 6 (Friday)
- Dimmuborgir, hike up Hverfell, Grjotagja, Hverir geothermal area.
Day 7 (Saturday)
- Myvatn nature baths, Dettifoss.
Day 8 (Sunday)
- Drive from Lake Myvatn to Borgarfjordur Eystri, look for puffins, then onto Egilsstadir and spend 2 nights there.
Day 9 (Monday)
- Day trip to Seydisfjordur from Egilsstadir.
Day 10 (Tuesday)
- Drive from Egilsstadir to Jokulsarlon and spend a few hours there. Drive to Vik and spend the night there.
Day 11 (Wednesday)
- Drive from Vik to Reykjavik. Along the way stop at Dyrholaey (puffins, maybe?), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss. If there's enough time, go to Gullfoss and Geysir en route to Reykjavik. Spend the next 3 nights in Reykjavik.
Day 12 (Thursday)
- Sight-see in Reykjavik. Maybe a whale watching boat trip or Laugardalslaug thermal pool.
Day 13 (Friday)
- Day trip to Thingvellir (and Geysir and Gullfoss if we didn't see them on the way from Vik).
Day 14 (Saturday)
Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 2 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 3 Airport ATMs
- 4 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 5 London to Paris by train
- 6 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 7 Eastern Europe
- 8 First time to Switzerland
- 9 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 10 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 11 All Set To Go!!
- 12 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 13 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 14 4 weeks in the UK
- 15 Granada
- 16 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 17 Euro Trivia Quiz #13... Ulysses S. Grant's European Tour?
- 18 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 19 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 20 Switzerland help...?
- 21 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 22 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 23 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 24 Looking for clean & reputable hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome!
- 25 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??