Leaving for Iceland around end of may, 2013 for 6 days. We are doing the southern circuit, itinerary as follows:
1. Land, pick up rental car, drive to Vik for overnight . Apart from the 2-3 waterfalls (Seljilandifoss, skogafoss), what other places should I stop at before reaching Vik ?
2. Drive East to Fosshotel Skaftafell for overnight. What is recommended on the way here?
Planing to visit JokulSarlon on this evening (2 hrs drive, I think?). Can I stop by roadside to take pics of Volcanoes/glaciers, or is it dangerous/not allowed?
3. Wake up early, drive to Jokulsarlon again...drive back towards Selfoss, overnight at Selfoss. Any other hidden waterfalls that I should know of besides the known ones ?
4. Drive to the golden triangle and then go west towards Snaefelsness, overnight at Hellnar. Tips for this day ? Is the road inside the Snaefelsness peninsula driveable at this time of the year (May end) ?
Where could I see any birds, especially Puffins, Eagles ? Photography is also a big interest for us.
Any tips will be appreciated. We will mostly be on the ring road through our journey. I hope we don't get too much bad weather around may 23 onwards.
Thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 4 Switzerland
- 5 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 6 Visiting Zurich
- 7 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 8 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 9 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 10 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 11 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 12 Paris to Bordeaux
- 13 Iceland 3 day layover
- 14 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 15 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 16 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 17 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 18 Train travel
- 19 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 20 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 21 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 22 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 23 DVD burning software
- 24 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 25 Central London indoor swimming locations