Leaving for Iceland around end of may, 2013 for 6 days. We are doing the southern circuit, itinerary as follows:
1. Land, pick up rental car, drive to Vik for overnight . Apart from the 2-3 waterfalls (Seljilandifoss, skogafoss), what other places should I stop at before reaching Vik ?
2. Drive East to Fosshotel Skaftafell for overnight. What is recommended on the way here?
Planing to visit JokulSarlon on this evening (2 hrs drive, I think?). Can I stop by roadside to take pics of Volcanoes/glaciers, or is it dangerous/not allowed?
3. Wake up early, drive to Jokulsarlon again...drive back towards Selfoss, overnight at Selfoss. Any other hidden waterfalls that I should know of besides the known ones ?
4. Drive to the golden triangle and then go west towards Snaefelsness, overnight at Hellnar. Tips for this day ? Is the road inside the Snaefelsness peninsula driveable at this time of the year (May end) ?
Where could I see any birds, especially Puffins, Eagles ? Photography is also a big interest for us.
Any tips will be appreciated. We will mostly be on the ring road through our journey. I hope we don't get too much bad weather around may 23 onwards.
Thanks in advance,
Iceland Road trip in May
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iwango went…to Nice
- 2 history museums or locations
- 3 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 4 22 year olds in Europe
- 5 Dining at the Eiffel Tower: 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant Review
- 6 Normandy and Loire
- 7 London neighborhood suggestions
- 8 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 9 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 10 Pyrenees logistics
- 11 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 12 Need Advice! Munich to Strasbourg to Paris
- 13 5 Observations About Paris
- 14 Hotels/B&B's in Monterosso
- 15 Portugal Trip
- 16 One week in Spain, late May
- 17 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 18 Northern Europe in April-May
- 19 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 20 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 21 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 22 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 23 malta
- 24 First time Ireland trip
- 25 Euro Trivia Quiz #16