Leaving for Iceland around end of may, 2013 for 6 days. We are doing the southern circuit, itinerary as follows:
1. Land, pick up rental car, drive to Vik for overnight . Apart from the 2-3 waterfalls (Seljilandifoss, skogafoss), what other places should I stop at before reaching Vik ?
2. Drive East to Fosshotel Skaftafell for overnight. What is recommended on the way here?
Planing to visit JokulSarlon on this evening (2 hrs drive, I think?). Can I stop by roadside to take pics of Volcanoes/glaciers, or is it dangerous/not allowed?
3. Wake up early, drive to Jokulsarlon again...drive back towards Selfoss, overnight at Selfoss. Any other hidden waterfalls that I should know of besides the known ones ?
4. Drive to the golden triangle and then go west towards Snaefelsness, overnight at Hellnar. Tips for this day ? Is the road inside the Snaefelsness peninsula driveable at this time of the year (May end) ?
Where could I see any birds, especially Puffins, Eagles ? Photography is also a big interest for us.
Any tips will be appreciated. We will mostly be on the ring road through our journey. I hope we don't get too much bad weather around may 23 onwards.
Thanks in advance,
Iceland Road trip in May
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ever Seen the 'Baked Bean' In London?
- 2 Great restaurants in Italy
- 3 4 weeks by rail starting Rome
- 4 Transportation in Italy - rent a car or stick to trains?
- 5 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 6 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 7 Amalfi coast in May
- 8 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 9 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 10 One day in Paris, Looking for a great Full day tour.
- 11 Amsterday > Bruges
- 12 CDG questions
- 13 Need help on almost 3 weeks in Ireland: itinerary
- 14 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 15 Greece after the Vote
- 16 Train to Harry Potter Studio---Tips?
- 17 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 18 Ireland 6 days / 5 nights
- 19 Germany for 3 weeks
- 20 Germany and Switzerland
- 21 Euro quiz # 42 - Trains, Trains and Railways...
- 22 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 23 Renting an apt.
- 24 Food options near Tower (& Leadenhall Mkt?)
- 25 northern Portugal