We have made airline reservations for 11 days in Iceland in late August. We plan to book one of the self-drive (probably 2 wheel drive) tours of the Ring Road. Our flights limit us to one of the ten day/nine night options. One itinerary I've seen on several websites, circles clockwise, with stops in Rejkyavik, near Borgarfjodur, Akureyri, Myvatn (2 nights), Egilsstadir, Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur, and back to Rejkyavik. Here, at long last, is my question. The tour operator says we can book an add-on day, since we have an extra day to play with. So I'm wondering: would we be better off spending the extra day in Rejkyavik (to see more of the city, or take a day trip)? Or should we spend an extra night en route? We are interested in taking the boat tour of the glacial lagoon, hiking on the glacier, and maybe booking a snowmobile ride. Are the two nights we already have in the southeast (Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur) enough? If we booked an extra night in the southeast, would you suggest Skaftafell Park or Kirkjubaejarklaustur (maybe bus tour to Laki craters?) Or would you recommend another overnight in a completely different region? Thanks!
Iceland Ring Road Drive - Itinerary question?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 2 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 3 Suggestions needed for our first visit to Athens without speaking Greek
- 4 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 5 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 6 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 7 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 8 Fiumicino City Bus Stop Location
- 9 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 10 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 11 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 12 Five nights in Extremadura
- 13 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 14 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 15 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 16 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 17 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 18 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 19 Belarus closes borders with Ukraine - EBOLA alert!
- 20 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 21 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 22 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 23 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 24 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 25 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep