We have made airline reservations for 11 days in Iceland in late August. We plan to book one of the self-drive (probably 2 wheel drive) tours of the Ring Road. Our flights limit us to one of the ten day/nine night options. One itinerary I've seen on several websites, circles clockwise, with stops in Rejkyavik, near Borgarfjodur, Akureyri, Myvatn (2 nights), Egilsstadir, Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur, and back to Rejkyavik. Here, at long last, is my question. The tour operator says we can book an add-on day, since we have an extra day to play with. So I'm wondering: would we be better off spending the extra day in Rejkyavik (to see more of the city, or take a day trip)? Or should we spend an extra night en route? We are interested in taking the boat tour of the glacial lagoon, hiking on the glacier, and maybe booking a snowmobile ride. Are the two nights we already have in the southeast (Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur) enough? If we booked an extra night in the southeast, would you suggest Skaftafell Park or Kirkjubaejarklaustur (maybe bus tour to Laki craters?) Or would you recommend another overnight in a completely different region? Thanks!
Iceland Ring Road Drive - Itinerary question?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 2 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 3 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 4 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 5 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 6 What to wear
- 7 London neighborhood suggestions
- 8 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 9 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 10 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 11 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 12 Berlin flea markets during the week???
- 13 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 14 Has anyone visited Tinos?
- 15 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 16 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 17 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 18 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 19 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 20 german rail ticket question
- 21 Tipping in Greece
- 22 Fashion for larger man?
- 23 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 24 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 25 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales