We have made airline reservations for 11 days in Iceland in late August. We plan to book one of the self-drive (probably 2 wheel drive) tours of the Ring Road. Our flights limit us to one of the ten day/nine night options. One itinerary I've seen on several websites, circles clockwise, with stops in Rejkyavik, near Borgarfjodur, Akureyri, Myvatn (2 nights), Egilsstadir, Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur, and back to Rejkyavik. Here, at long last, is my question. The tour operator says we can book an add-on day, since we have an extra day to play with. So I'm wondering: would we be better off spending the extra day in Rejkyavik (to see more of the city, or take a day trip)? Or should we spend an extra night en route? We are interested in taking the boat tour of the glacial lagoon, hiking on the glacier, and maybe booking a snowmobile ride. Are the two nights we already have in the southeast (Hofn, Kirkjubaejarklaustur) enough? If we booked an extra night in the southeast, would you suggest Skaftafell Park or Kirkjubaejarklaustur (maybe bus tour to Laki craters?) Or would you recommend another overnight in a completely different region? Thanks!
Iceland Ring Road Drive - Itinerary question?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 2 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 3 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 4 train to Vernon France
- 5 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 6 A drive in Europe
- 7 Florence to Siena May 1st
- 8 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 9 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 10 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 11 Anyone stayed in Podere Spedalone?
- 12 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 13 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 14 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 15 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 16 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 17 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 18 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 19 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 20 Car rental at Southampton cruise terminal
- 21 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 22 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 23 nearby cities to london
- 24 Hotel in Venice
- 25 9 days in turkey