I have been to Iceland four times since 1965. In April it will be cold. Take warm clothes. Many roads outside Reykjavik will still be under snow. Roads are are not tarmac off the major routes. Gullfoss (a huge waterfall) and the Geysir nearby are on all local trips. Probably a good idea to take such a trip. Self drive not a good idea because of roads and conditions. The airport at Keflavik (former NATO base) is a long way from Reykjavik. There is a separate domestic airport within Reyjavik (which you can see from some hotels) but this is local flights only. In Reyjavik which has a popoulation of around 150,000 (half of all Iceland) try the open air swimming pools which are naturally heated by hot water from geothermal sources (as is all hot water in Reykjavik). Concert halls I have never seen. The occasional cinema. Prices are high. For cash, you will find all your cards VISA, Mastercard, Cirrus, Plus will be useful - ATMs and shops, Wines in restaurant are horrendously dear - to discourage drunkeness. Scenery generally outside Reykjavik is very unusual. Go north to Myvatn if you have time to experiene lunar landscapes. Enjoy your three days. It will not be long enough.
Iceland, Reykavik--3day short stay
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question about justairports
- 2 Preparing to drive on the Greek mainland
- 3 Rome in 6 days
- 4 Land v Waterways touring
- 5 Paris: Hotel Verneuil, Regent, d'Angleterre, Millesime, Aramis (Best Western)
- 6 From Paris to the Riviera (15 days honeymoon)
- 7 Day trips
- 8 Train From Paris to Beaune
- 9 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 10 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 11 Amsterdam with toddler; getting around & logistical questions
- 12 First trip to Europe - early 20s want to see the highlights
- 13 Best "2-star" hotels in Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Dresden
- 14 Pays Basque, attention SPAIN afficianados:
- 15 Pix from Northern Ireland & Donegal
- 16 Bob the Navigator's drive in Tuscany?
- 17 Naples Italy as base for coast?
- 18 YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS IN OXFORD
- 19 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 20 Nice, France September 2013
- 21 Please help me with the itinerary !!
- 22 2 weeks in Andalusia and Barcelona!
- 23 Is Cognac worth an overnight between Sarlat and La Rochelle?
- 24 ordering train tickets
- 25 Augsburg with kids