I have been to Iceland four times since 1965. In April it will be cold. Take warm clothes. Many roads outside Reykjavik will still be under snow. Roads are are not tarmac off the major routes. Gullfoss (a huge waterfall) and the Geysir nearby are on all local trips. Probably a good idea to take such a trip. Self drive not a good idea because of roads and conditions. The airport at Keflavik (former NATO base) is a long way from Reykjavik. There is a separate domestic airport within Reyjavik (which you can see from some hotels) but this is local flights only. In Reyjavik which has a popoulation of around 150,000 (half of all Iceland) try the open air swimming pools which are naturally heated by hot water from geothermal sources (as is all hot water in Reykjavik). Concert halls I have never seen. The occasional cinema. Prices are high. For cash, you will find all your cards VISA, Mastercard, Cirrus, Plus will be useful - ATMs and shops, Wines in restaurant are horrendously dear - to discourage drunkeness. Scenery generally outside Reykjavik is very unusual. Go north to Myvatn if you have time to experiene lunar landscapes. Enjoy your three days. It will not be long enough.
Iceland, Reykavik--3day short stay
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Manchester or Heathrow?
- 2 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 3 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 4 Three days in Spain
- 5 Monet in Normandy
- 6 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 7 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 8 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 9 Getting from London to Southhampton
- 10 London visit
- 11 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 12 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 13 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 14 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 15 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 16 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 17 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 18 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 19 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 20 21 Days in Central Europe
- 21 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 22 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 23 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 24 best time to book accommodation
- 25 Madrid Tapas Tour