I have been to Iceland four times since 1965. In April it will be cold. Take warm clothes. Many roads outside Reykjavik will still be under snow. Roads are are not tarmac off the major routes. Gullfoss (a huge waterfall) and the Geysir nearby are on all local trips. Probably a good idea to take such a trip. Self drive not a good idea because of roads and conditions. The airport at Keflavik (former NATO base) is a long way from Reykjavik. There is a separate domestic airport within Reyjavik (which you can see from some hotels) but this is local flights only. In Reyjavik which has a popoulation of around 150,000 (half of all Iceland) try the open air swimming pools which are naturally heated by hot water from geothermal sources (as is all hot water in Reykjavik). Concert halls I have never seen. The occasional cinema. Prices are high. For cash, you will find all your cards VISA, Mastercard, Cirrus, Plus will be useful - ATMs and shops, Wines in restaurant are horrendously dear - to discourage drunkeness. Scenery generally outside Reykjavik is very unusual. Go north to Myvatn if you have time to experiene lunar landscapes. Enjoy your three days. It will not be long enough.
Iceland, Reykavik--3day short stay
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Channel Islands
- 2 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 3 Chambermaid tipping
- 4 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 5 Advice on 10-14 days family trip Paris-Amsterdam-Italy
- 6 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 7 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 8 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 9 Barcelona Transfers
- 10 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 11 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 12 Gate 1 9 day Enchanted Italy
- 13 TROMSO - 70 years old
- 14 WOW Russia Tours St. Petersburg
- 15 Ireland in a week
- 16 Spain - Andalucia
- 17 TGV and Provence questions
- 18 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 19 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 20 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 21 2 Week European Itinerary
- 22 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 23 Car in Prague
- 24 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 25 Cell phones in Europe if my current phone isn't international capable?