I am planning a trip with a friend to Iceland-6 nights/7 days. We re trying to decide whether to rent a car and do it on our own adding in day excursions along the way or taking a 3 day excursion tour. I am leaning towards driving. (Our trip is booked for November and we are both experience drivers in snow.) One of the day excursions we are interested in is a winter ice caving tour in Jokulsarlon area. The issue being that the only day the tour is available is the day after we fly in. If we drive straight from the airport towards Jokulsarlon, what area would you recommend for lodging? I was thinking that staying in Jokulsarlon area the evening of the tour would be nice and then drive on to Vik. We are planning on doing a glacier walk near Vik the following day or at some other point during the trip.
Do any of you think this would work? Or have ideas how to map this out?
Also, do you think Jokulsarlon is the best area for ice caving or should I be looking for a tour in a different locations?
Thanks so much!! I am sure I will have some other questions, so please be patient!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 2 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 3 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 4 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 5 Electrical Power Conversion
- 6 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Zurich to Milan trip
- 9 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 10 italy Cinque Terre
- 11 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 12 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 13 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 14 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 15 Bruges
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 17 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 18 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 19 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 20 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 21 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 22 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 23 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 24 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 25 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy