I am planning a trip with a friend to Iceland-6 nights/7 days. We re trying to decide whether to rent a car and do it on our own adding in day excursions along the way or taking a 3 day excursion tour. I am leaning towards driving. (Our trip is booked for November and we are both experience drivers in snow.) One of the day excursions we are interested in is a winter ice caving tour in Jokulsarlon area. The issue being that the only day the tour is available is the day after we fly in. If we drive straight from the airport towards Jokulsarlon, what area would you recommend for lodging? I was thinking that staying in Jokulsarlon area the evening of the tour would be nice and then drive on to Vik. We are planning on doing a glacier walk near Vik the following day or at some other point during the trip.
Do any of you think this would work? Or have ideas how to map this out?
Also, do you think Jokulsarlon is the best area for ice caving or should I be looking for a tour in a different locations?
Thanks so much!! I am sure I will have some other questions, so please be patient!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 2 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 3 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 4 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 5 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 6 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 7 Car rental companies - why so many negative reviews?
- 8 Iceland rental camper company
- 9 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 10 southeast sicily town as home base
- 11 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 12 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 13 Chania
- 14 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 15 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 16 Theoxenia on Santorini
- 17 Spanish food - not that special?
- 18 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 19 Rome travel book, Nice extra
- 20 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 21 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 22 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 23 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 24 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 25 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy