I am in the middle of planning a road trip around Iceland for as long as 11 days but could use some help in planning. We want to see the key highlights while we are there but are also on a budget so want to balance the two. For example - I don't know whether we are planning to spend too much time at Myvatn or whether its possible to squeeze some days together (and whether its better to overnight at Ayukeri or Husavik instead of Myvatn for 3 days). Also, would people recommend 2 full days at Snaefellsnes or is 1 day enough given everything else we are seeing?
Obviously we know that you can always spend more time in a place but any advice would be welcome based on what there is to do/see! We are three active adults traveling at the end of August and can keep going all day long.
Day 1 - Arrive, pick up rental car, see Golden Circle (overnight Selfoss)
Day 2 - See Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Vik, eldgjarhum (overnight Kirkjubaejarklaustur)
Day 3 - Skaftafell and Jokulsarlon (overnight Egilsstadir)
Day 4 - Lake Myvatn (Krafla, Hverfell) (overnight Myvatn)
Day 5 - Husavik, Dettifoss, Myvatn Natuer Baths (overnight Myvatn)
Day 6 - Day trip to Askja from Lake Myvatn (overnight Myvatn)
Day 7 - Godafoss, Akureyri, Skagofordur (overnight Skagafordur)
Day 8 - Sneafellsnes
Day 9 - Another day at Snaefelssnes?
Day 10 - Borgarnes, Hraunfossar waterfalls, Reykholt, possible to squeeze in Blue Lagoon here? (overnight Reykholt or Rejkavic)
Day 11 - Rejkavic
Day 12 - Return home
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi coast
- 2 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 3 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 4 Looking for Tour in Italy
- 5 Rail pass question
- 6 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 7 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 8 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
- 9 12 days europe
- 10 Zynev is Scam? READ Before Try It
- 11 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 12 If you had four months...
- 13 Trip Report: a Douro river cruise and Porto
- 14 Day Trips out of Portland, Dorset
- 15 What countries to visit in Europe (50 days) for teenagers
- 16 GD Designs Rochdale Reviews (30)
- 17 Convents in Venice
- 18 cell phone companys
- 19 Itinerary Help B&Bs
- 20 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 21 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 22 3 days to spend in europe
- 23 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 24 Berlin restaurant recs
- 25 flying into Lyon..have 10 days