A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 2 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 3 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 4 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 5 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 6 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 7 Getting a Russian visa in San Francisco, in person
- 8 Ireland and Scotland September 2017
- 9 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 10 4 days from/to Zagreb...
- 11 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 12 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 13 3 days solo in London
- 14 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 15 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 16 Prem fares (again)
- 17 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 18 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 19 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 20 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 21 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 22 Chania
- 23 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 24 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 25 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area