A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 2 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 3 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 4 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 5 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 6 Northern Ireland ideas
- 7 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 8 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 9 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 10 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 11 Long weekend in Albania
- 12 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 13 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 14 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 15 scotland itinerary
- 16 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 17 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 18 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 19 Hotel in Florence
- 20 Travel between Civitavecchia and Rome
- 21 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany
- 22 Missing Toronto Woman May Be in France
- 23 Malta - how to do it?
- 24 Using CPAP machine in France
- 25 Castle Stays in Wales