A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 2 Azores
- 3 Short Trip in July
- 4 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 5 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 6 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 7 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 8 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Scotland in 7 Days
- 11 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 12 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 13 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 14 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 15 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 16 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 17 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report
- 18 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 19 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 20 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 21 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 22 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 23 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 24 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 25 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report