A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 If you had to choose one......
- 2 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 3 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 4 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 5 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 6 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 7 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 8 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 9 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 10 Driving in Italy?
- 11 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 12 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 13 Tour groups
- 14 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 15 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 16 Ireland in April
- 17 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 18 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 19 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 20 So much to do, so little time!
- 21 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 22 Baby Milk
- 23 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 24 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 25 French restaurants