A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 2 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 3 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 4 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 5 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 6 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 7 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 8 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 9 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 10 A few more questions about Brittany
- 11 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 12 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 13 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 14 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 15 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 16 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 17 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 18 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 19 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 20 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 21 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 22 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 23 4 days each in London and Paris
- 24 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 25 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!