Hi all -
We are taking two of my nephews (cousins, aged 13 and 14) to Iceland in July. We have 10-12 days. They're a bit tough to keep entertained; anywhere with "ruins" and "museums" would just not work. We thought Iceland - with its horseback riding, whale watching, geysirs, thermal springs - might be a better option.
At first we thought about doing the Ring Road. However, I’m a bit worried that a true trip around the ring road should be at least 10 days plus a few in Reykjavik. We'd be tight for time. I’m also concerned that there isn’t much to see/do in the eastern half of the country and our fussy 13 and 14 year old boys may be bored with long days in the car. (Note, the adults might love some of the sites on the eastern coast, but long days in the car followed by a puffin colony might not cut it for these kids.)
As such, I’m wondering if we can try to do three stops - (1) a stay in/near Vik (maybe see the Westman Islands, hike on a glacier, black sand beaches, and a few of the waterfalls), (2) a stay up north in Akureyi (horseback riding, river rafting, whale watching out of Husavik), and (3) a stay in Reykjavik (some of the day trips - the Golden Circle, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, etc). I’m not sure how easy this is; how best to coordinate it; or if it’s even a good idea. Would we drive straight to the south shore/Vik upon arrival, then back to Reykjavik for a few days, and then drive up to Akureyi before circling back to Reykjavik to fly out? Or would we drive down to Vik, then drive right up to Akureyi before ending with a few days in Reykjavik? Would it be crazy to do Vik, then Reykjavik and then fly to Akureyi before taking a return flight from Akureyi to Reykjavik to catch a connecting flight home? Or fly directly to Akureyi, spend a few days, drive to Vik, then Reykjavik? Any idea how the fees are for picking up a car in Reykjavik and dropping in Akureyi or vice versa?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 4 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 5 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 6 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 7 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 8 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 9 Questions about Polish sights
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 12 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 15 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 16 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 17 Ireland travel passport question
- 18 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 19 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 20 Italy
- 21 Revised itinerary for italy
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Juangfrau / mt
- 24 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 25 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
Hi all -