Hi Fellow Travelers,
I am planning my first trip to Iceland and I am having a bit of difficulty because of the timing/driving distances. I'd like some opinions and advice people who have been there before.
The goal is to drive around the Ring Road.
So, we will be renting a car in Reykjavik, arriving on a Sunday (hopefully around noon or 2 pm, really aiming for the 7 Am flight but it seems to be in high demand). Spend 1 night in the capital (Sunday night) and then start driving to Sauðárkrókur (285 km, 3:30 hours) but not really sure if we should stay here or go straight to Akureyri.
Then staying 1-2 nights (Monday and Tuesday night) in Akureyri (I seem to be aiming for this better) and visit the surrounding (Lake Mývatn, Dimmuborgir, Godafoss, etc).
Wednesday, drive to the east cost around Seydisfjordur (292 km, 4 hours).
Thursday, drive to Hofn (212 km, 3 hours) - do the activities around there - maybe snowmobiling on Vatnajokull, Jokulsarlon, etc.
Friday, drive to Vik.
Saturday drive closer to the capital Reykjavik as we leave Sunday morning.
Any opinions, thoughts, and/or suggestions on where to stay? It would be much appreciated.
The dates of this trip are 4/24 - 5/1 - weather forecast and what to pack would also be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 2 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 3 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 4 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 5 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 6 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 7 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 8 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 9 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 10 4 days each in London and Paris
- 11 A few more questions about Brittany
- 12 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 13 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 14 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 15 Switzerland in September
- 16 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 17 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 18 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 19 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 20 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 21 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 22 Positano or Sorrento?
- 23 Paris in November
- 24 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 25 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
Hi Fellow Travelers,