Hi Fellow Travelers,
I am planning my first trip to Iceland and I am having a bit of difficulty because of the timing/driving distances. I'd like some opinions and advice people who have been there before.
The goal is to drive around the Ring Road.
So, we will be renting a car in Reykjavik, arriving on a Sunday (hopefully around noon or 2 pm, really aiming for the 7 Am flight but it seems to be in high demand). Spend 1 night in the capital (Sunday night) and then start driving to Sauðárkrókur (285 km, 3:30 hours) but not really sure if we should stay here or go straight to Akureyri.
Then staying 1-2 nights (Monday and Tuesday night) in Akureyri (I seem to be aiming for this better) and visit the surrounding (Lake Mývatn, Dimmuborgir, Godafoss, etc).
Wednesday, drive to the east cost around Seydisfjordur (292 km, 4 hours).
Thursday, drive to Hofn (212 km, 3 hours) - do the activities around there - maybe snowmobiling on Vatnajokull, Jokulsarlon, etc.
Friday, drive to Vik.
Saturday drive closer to the capital Reykjavik as we leave Sunday morning.
Any opinions, thoughts, and/or suggestions on where to stay? It would be much appreciated.
The dates of this trip are 4/24 - 5/1 - weather forecast and what to pack would also be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Top Tapas Tascas
- 3 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 4 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 5 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 6 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 7 If your site isn't working because of the update, just take it offline
- 8 Lake Como- Which villa has the best garden?
- 9 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 10 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 11 Greece
- 12 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 13 Hiking lake Como
- 14 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 15 Renting a car in Greece
- 16 Prem fares (again)
- 17 tickets for Wimbledon
- 18 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 19 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 20 Iceland, france spain
- 21 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 22 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 23 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 24 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 25 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
Hi Fellow Travelers,