Hi Fellow Travelers,
I am planning my first trip to Iceland and I am having a bit of difficulty because of the timing/driving distances. I'd like some opinions and advice people who have been there before.
The goal is to drive around the Ring Road.
So, we will be renting a car in Reykjavik, arriving on a Sunday (hopefully around noon or 2 pm, really aiming for the 7 Am flight but it seems to be in high demand). Spend 1 night in the capital (Sunday night) and then start driving to Sauðárkrókur (285 km, 3:30 hours) but not really sure if we should stay here or go straight to Akureyri.
Then staying 1-2 nights (Monday and Tuesday night) in Akureyri (I seem to be aiming for this better) and visit the surrounding (Lake Mývatn, Dimmuborgir, Godafoss, etc).
Wednesday, drive to the east cost around Seydisfjordur (292 km, 4 hours).
Thursday, drive to Hofn (212 km, 3 hours) - do the activities around there - maybe snowmobiling on Vatnajokull, Jokulsarlon, etc.
Friday, drive to Vik.
Saturday drive closer to the capital Reykjavik as we leave Sunday morning.
Any opinions, thoughts, and/or suggestions on where to stay? It would be much appreciated.
The dates of this trip are 4/24 - 5/1 - weather forecast and what to pack would also be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland travel passport question
- 2 Questions about Polish sights
- 3 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 4 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 5 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 6 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 7 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 8 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 9 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 12 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 13 Flamenco in October
- 14 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 15 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 16 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 17 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 18 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 19 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 20 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 21 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 22 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 23 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 24 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 25 Another northern Italy itinerary.
Hi Fellow Travelers,