Hoping someone can advise. I'm looking to take a quick, cheap trip to Iceland sometime during the first week in September for around 6 days. I really wanted to drive through some of the countryside, but my friends just dropped out of the trip and I don't really feel safe driving alone. Also, I'm trying to keep this trip to under $2k (including flights from NYC) since I have some bigger trips at end of the year.
I consulted some travel agents and they've quoted some high prices. So I'm wondering ...
If I don't want to do a group/organized tour for my whole stay- would it be cheapest for me to just book a hotel in Reykjavik and try to do some day trips?
I've seen some interesting day trips through companies like Reykjavik Excursions, Superjeep, and Viator but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? I really dislike the idea of being on a bus with a bunch of other tourists so are any of these smaller, more personal, and of better quality? I'm trying to find the cheaper happy-medium to hiring a private guide/driver...
Any recommendations for small charming boutique hotels that are less than $200/night in Reykjavik?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 2 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 3 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 4 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 5 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?
- 6 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 7 8 Days in Corsica--Not Enough!
- 8 Italy by car
- 9 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 10 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 11 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 12 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 13 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 14 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 15 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 16 T Mobile Does it Again
- 17 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 18 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 19 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 20 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 21 Seville Itinerary
- 22 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 23 Dolomites October 14-18
- 24 Florence 2 weeks
- 25 Santorini