Hoping someone can advise. I'm looking to take a quick, cheap trip to Iceland sometime during the first week in September for around 6 days. I really wanted to drive through some of the countryside, but my friends just dropped out of the trip and I don't really feel safe driving alone. Also, I'm trying to keep this trip to under $2k (including flights from NYC) since I have some bigger trips at end of the year.
I consulted some travel agents and they've quoted some high prices. So I'm wondering ...
If I don't want to do a group/organized tour for my whole stay- would it be cheapest for me to just book a hotel in Reykjavik and try to do some day trips?
I've seen some interesting day trips through companies like Reykjavik Excursions, Superjeep, and Viator but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? I really dislike the idea of being on a bus with a bunch of other tourists so are any of these smaller, more personal, and of better quality? I'm trying to find the cheaper happy-medium to hiring a private guide/driver...
Any recommendations for small charming boutique hotels that are less than $200/night in Reykjavik?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 2 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 3 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 4 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 5 Which Train Station in Venice
- 6 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 7 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 8 Uber vs. TfL
- 9 What fresh hell is this?
- 10 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 11 Greek Village
- 12 Berlin
- 13 Bordeaux to Nice
- 14 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 15 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 16 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 17 SE ITALY
- 18 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 19 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 20 One free day in Barcelona
- 21 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 22 initial planning: Dublin, solo, February
- 23 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 25 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna