Hoping someone can advise. I'm looking to take a quick, cheap trip to Iceland sometime during the first week in September for around 6 days. I really wanted to drive through some of the countryside, but my friends just dropped out of the trip and I don't really feel safe driving alone. Also, I'm trying to keep this trip to under $2k (including flights from NYC) since I have some bigger trips at end of the year.
I consulted some travel agents and they've quoted some high prices. So I'm wondering ...
If I don't want to do a group/organized tour for my whole stay- would it be cheapest for me to just book a hotel in Reykjavik and try to do some day trips?
I've seen some interesting day trips through companies like Reykjavik Excursions, Superjeep, and Viator but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? I really dislike the idea of being on a bus with a bunch of other tourists so are any of these smaller, more personal, and of better quality? I'm trying to find the cheaper happy-medium to hiring a private guide/driver...
Any recommendations for small charming boutique hotels that are less than $200/night in Reykjavik?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 2 Scotland with teens thoughts
- 3 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 4 Part 2: The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 5 Travel from Germany to Switzerland
- 6 Parma hotels - Pacchiosi or Rosa Prati
- 7 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 8 Anyone visiting Ireland
- 9 A week driving in Bavaria
- 10 First Post, Lots of Questions
- 11 Car rental/return near London
- 12 AirBNB in London - soon to be a thing of the past?
- 13 Hotel in Amsterdam
- 14 Help with Germany and Eastern Europe
- 15 Tot or Trans Montserrat tickets
- 16 Oh no, not another grammar lesson! Learning italian in Venice - a TR.
- 17 Train or Coach from Dublin to Cork?
- 18 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 19 Where to stay between Kenmare and Dublin
- 20 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 21 Travelling to Europe from OCT 15 to OCT 30
- 22 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 23 Camino Redux
- 24 Best stop between Split and Dubrovnik?
- 25 EATING IN LISBON..first visit