Hoping someone can advise. I'm looking to take a quick, cheap trip to Iceland sometime during the first week in September for around 6 days. I really wanted to drive through some of the countryside, but my friends just dropped out of the trip and I don't really feel safe driving alone. Also, I'm trying to keep this trip to under $2k (including flights from NYC) since I have some bigger trips at end of the year.
I consulted some travel agents and they've quoted some high prices. So I'm wondering ...
If I don't want to do a group/organized tour for my whole stay- would it be cheapest for me to just book a hotel in Reykjavik and try to do some day trips?
I've seen some interesting day trips through companies like Reykjavik Excursions, Superjeep, and Viator but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? I really dislike the idea of being on a bus with a bunch of other tourists so are any of these smaller, more personal, and of better quality? I'm trying to find the cheaper happy-medium to hiring a private guide/driver...
Any recommendations for small charming boutique hotels that are less than $200/night in Reykjavik?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 2 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 3 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 4 Travelogue: Sweden with kids
- 5 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 6 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 7 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 8 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 9 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 10 Dash to Sicily January Advice hel....
- 11 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 12 Switzerland
- 13 If you had to choose one......
- 14 Where to buy Saffron?
- 15 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 16 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 17 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 18 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 19 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 20 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 21 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 22 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 23 English Countryside
- 24 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 25 Amalfi coast hotel recs