Hoping someone can advise. I'm looking to take a quick, cheap trip to Iceland sometime during the first week in September for around 6 days. I really wanted to drive through some of the countryside, but my friends just dropped out of the trip and I don't really feel safe driving alone. Also, I'm trying to keep this trip to under $2k (including flights from NYC) since I have some bigger trips at end of the year.
I consulted some travel agents and they've quoted some high prices. So I'm wondering ...
If I don't want to do a group/organized tour for my whole stay- would it be cheapest for me to just book a hotel in Reykjavik and try to do some day trips?
I've seen some interesting day trips through companies like Reykjavik Excursions, Superjeep, and Viator but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? I really dislike the idea of being on a bus with a bunch of other tourists so are any of these smaller, more personal, and of better quality? I'm trying to find the cheaper happy-medium to hiring a private guide/driver...
Any recommendations for small charming boutique hotels that are less than $200/night in Reykjavik?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 2 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 3 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 4 Apartment Review - Amsterdam
- 5 Hotels in Dubruvnick
- 6 First trip to Italy
- 7 Ireland & Scotland
- 8 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 9 London's Must Sights!
- 10 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 11 10 days Ireland June 30-July 11th, 2017
- 12 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 13 Poland & Ukraine Summer 2017
- 14 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 15 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 16 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 17 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 18 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 19 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 20 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 21 4 days in switzerland
- 22 Vienna or Budapest?
- 23 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 24 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 25 travelling to Munich and Paris without pre hotel booking