I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 2 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 3 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 4 Piedmont as a destination
- 5 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 6 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 7 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 8 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 9 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 10 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 11 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 12 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 13 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 14 Passport proplems
- 15 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 16 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 17 Itinerary help...
- 18 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 19 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 20 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 21 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 22 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 23 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October
- 24 Lisbon or Cascais in July
- 25 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT