I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 2 Douro Valley in January?
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 5 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 6 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 7 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
- 8 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 9 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 10 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 11 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 12 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 13 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 14 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 15 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 16 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 17 Paris to Italy
- 18 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 19 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 20 Spanish Medical Providers
- 21 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 22 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 23 Barcelona alternative
- 24 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 25 Road trip with our dog