I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Iceland Car Rental Age 18
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lakes District UK
- 2 Share Your Smile
- 3 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 4 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 5 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 6 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 7 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 8 St Germain
- 9 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 10 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 11 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 12 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 13 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 14 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 15 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 16 Rome Areas to stay
- 17 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 18 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 19 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 20 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 21 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 22 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 23 Careful now in train stations even after security
- 24 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 25 When to go to Sicily