I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy 1 week HELP
- 2 Barcelona question
- 3 Beaune looking for accommodation suggestions
- 4 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 5 Fodor's Survey
- 6 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 7 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 8 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 9 European Cooking Secrets
- 10 Venice to Positano to Rome travel help
- 11 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 12 Azores, Canary Islands, Mallorca, or Hawaii for August Honeymoon
- 13 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 14 My 60th birthday surprises
- 15 20 Days in Europe
- 16 4 days in switzerland
- 17 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 18 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 19 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 20 Beginner travelers on a budget to Marseille
- 21 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 22 March in Amsterdam 1 week spring break
- 23 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 24 Rome, Florence and a cruise this fall
- 25 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!