I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Iceland Car Rental Age 18
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 2 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 3 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 4 Tipping in the UK
- 5 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 6 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 7 at what point should one get health insurance
- 8 Lucerne Switzerland
- 9 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 10 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 11 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 12 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 13 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 14 Greek Islands in October - who's open?
- 15 Easyjet; Vueling; Ryanair "Carryon" Question
- 16 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 17 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 18 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 19 Solo grad trip in Europe, 24 days in November! Critique appreciated.
- 20 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years
- 21 Ventimiglia to Trieste
- 22 2 weeks in Spain
- 23 Walking in the dales: Sedbergh or Malhamdale?
- 24 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.
- 25 Croatia via Venice for two weeks - itinerary suggestions