I'm planning to go on a trip next summer with some of my friends (between one and three other people) as a sort of celebration for the end of Senior year of high school. We're hoping to head over to Iceland for two or three weeks and it's possible that we'll stop in London for a few days as well. At the time I will be 18 and the oldest member of our group.
We are trying to stay away from guided tours because we'll be on a tight budget and a weird schedule (hiking later in the day and earlier in the morning than usual to see some sunrises and sunsets), and it seems that the best way to see the sights of Iceland is driving along the ring road. I was hoping to rent a car, but I have been unable to find a company which rents to anyone under the age of 20. I have seen a few sites reference that it's legal to rent a car in Iceland at the age of 18, but I simply can't find a rental company that allows it.
I understand that I will probably pay an extra insurance fee, but that doesn't matter much if I can find a place that actually rents to 18 year old drivers. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some smaller, mom-and-pop company that someone knows which would rent to someone my age? If it helps, I will have held my USA license for two years by the time of the trip, and so far I have not been in any accidents or had any citations/tickets. Also, I'm not planning to drive on any roads which require 4x4s.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 2 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 3 Hotel in Vienna
- 4 Super Cover For Hertz
- 5 Baby Milk
- 6 French restaurants
- 7 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 8 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 9 5-day rpad trip from Toulouse that includes Lourdes
- 10 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 11 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 12 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Granada to Madrid
- 15 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 16 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 17 Tour groups
- 18 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 19 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
- 20 Layover Düsseldorf?
- 21 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 22 English Countryside
- 23 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 24 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 25 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay